Hornady ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ARrgv, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

Need help! Using ultramax 50gr ballistic tip nosler partition. I hit a coyote at thirty yards jumped, barked ran off no blood, hit a ferral hog at 125 fell, kicked for 15 sec jumped up, ran off no blood. Checked gun and it's on!! Feel I need to move up to 60gr+ and better bullet? Using dpms lo pro 16" with 1-9 twist rate. 6.5- 20 weaver. Checked it and it's dead on at 100! Without the sarcasm does anyone have a better ammo?

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well,the 50gr should've killed the yote if the shot placement was good,but shooting most hogs with them will just cause an outer flesh wound.
    I won't use any of the ballistic tipped 223 ammo for hogs.

Try to find some Soft Point ammo in the heaviest weight that you can. I load all my ammo,and use Sierra 65gr Gameking bullets as well as Speer 70gr Soft Points.

3. shnorse

shnorse New Member

try shooting paper at 30 yards, 100 yards will be much different POI than 30...

4. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

Ive shot many coyotes with 55,62 &63 gr softpoints. i wont shoot a hog over 100 lbs with a 223 unless he has his nose in the ground and is unaware Im around. my preferred shots enter from the rear going to front. to the rear of the shoulder blade going thru the chest into the neck. also behind the ear going thru the head toward the snout. not many runaways with those shots

5. Shade

Shade New Member

Most of my experience with polymer tipped bullets has been less than good.

Worst case, Marlin lever gun chambered for .35 Remington, Hornady Lever-
    Evolution ammo. Shooting at Russian Boar ~350 pounder. 3 shots to kill it.
    All 3 shots were in the chest, the first 2 were .35 caliber entrance and exit
    wounds. Bullets never opened. We left it for 20 minutes and came around a
    hill by then he was laying on his side but still breathing.

Third shot through the sternum and heart, killed him, found the bullet in the
    spine unopened.

I have similar issues with Nosler and Hornady polymer tipped bullets on
    whitetail, 7mm and .308 entrance and exit wounds tracked deer to recover.

I am almost exclusively shooting Barnes TSX bullets for hunting now. Have
    yet to track an animal after hitting them with a TSX.

I reload all my own ammo.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im glad im not the only one with that problem when it comes to the noslers. Now I shoot/load seirra 145 BTHPs through my 7 mm mag. The only bullets iv ever had any luck with when it comes to 223 is federals in 60 grain SP and and 55 grain silver tips.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive never used my 5.56 for any yotes but all ive used in my 7mmwsm is winchester ballistic silvertips.they have always performed great for me

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Oh I like ballistic tips through my 7 mag but the seirras where on sale at the time so thats what I bought. Me and the noslers had some issues mainly me shooting a nice 5x6 elk in wyoming and not being able to find it. My guide found it 3 days after I left, I had hit it in the left shoulder blade and it never opened up. It was lodged in a rib on the other side. My guide sent me the horns after I sent him my tag. Iv shotdeer with them,and had small exit holes but a deer is alot smaller than an elk so I wasnt worried about it on them.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

It always makes you sick when you track something and cant find it

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

V max are varmint bullets. I believe A max are the hunting loads. Hornady has 7.62x39 with A max bullets.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya it did. Luckily my guide knows me fairly good and is a good woman. And yes my prefered guide is a woman, but she is the best shot there and knows the country better than most of the others.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Saddest part was if I had just walked maybe 60 yards farther and looked down the hill I would have found it that day. Funny how it usually works that way though. I learned a valuable leason that day.

13. ARrgv

ARrgv New Member

Well I bought a box of imi 855 5.56 penetrators in a 62 grain. I'm going to the range tomorrow and sight my AR. I expect better penetration, especially on pigs!

14. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The v max are varmints, but A max aren't for hunting at all. They're just match bullets that have BCs. If you wanna use a hornady bullet for hunting, look into Interlock, Interbond or SST bullets. All are supposed to be very good.

Barnes TSX, as was previously stated are excellent bullets also, but they are very pricey. Not sure about loaded ammo costs, but I know barnes bullets usually cost considerably more than most other bullets, and are only in packs of 50 versus the 100 packs of most others.

Fred

15. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

I used the standard military rounds when I went out to shoot coyotes and other varmits with my AR, the 77 gr FMJs, they got the job done to satisfaction, and my 6.8 is awaiting an opportunity to take down a deer. Most of my hunting before has been using a standard hunting rifle in .308 I'd say if you plan on dropping bigger game go with a bigger round instead of hoping to find one that'll be adequate - IF - everything goes well.

All else fails go spend 200 bucks buy a Mosin and tuna can and you can drop pretty much everything that lives on the surface of planet earth with that, or the 203 grain Brown Bear ammo is pretty brutal.