hopfully getting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by wmille01, Mar 12, 2011.

1. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I'm wanting to get a mosin nagant it's priced at $99.00 bayonet included at least that's what the paper said. Any advice?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Check the barrel over well. Look for pitting and rust in there. Make sure the rifling is strong. If the muzzle crown is beat up or chipped, immediately pass and look at another rifle.

While you're looking at the barrel, check the muzzle end and see if it's been counter bored. Counter bored rifles shoot okay, but it's better if it's not.

Check if the serial numbers match on the bolt, receiver, magazine bottom plate and butt plate as well.

I guess it's a model 91-30, So see if they have any with a Hex receiver. I don't know how true it really is, but hex receivers are supposed to be better and they generally fetch a slightly higher price.

3. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I looked it over again and it has a hex receiver, as for the barrel I don't know, there were two more boxes full under the one I looked at so I think I'll be able to find a good one.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Bring a penlight, remove the bolt and take a good look at the barrel from the receiver end and the muzzle end. Reinsert the bolt and work the bolt a few times and see how smooth it feels.

If all of those things seem pretty good, then buy it. Clean it, lubricate it and then shoot the heck out of it. They're great and stout rifles.