Honest Question For Sports fans

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have an honest question for all of you ball and stick sports fans out there. How can a fan of any team in any sport hate another team or fan of another team so much as to attack them? (http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/06/giants-fan-bryan-stow-in-induced-coma-as-los-angeles-police-chas/) Isn't that what the game is supposed to determine, meaning which team is better at the game? Beating a fan of another team in the parking lot is just barbaric.

Seriously, the way I see it many sports fans have a rabid hate of all other teams and their fans. If it were not for the other team there would not be a game to begin with!

I am not a fan of the ball and stick sports by any means (I do enjoy going to games though), I am a fan of motorsports though, mainly Formula One racing. you don't see that sort of garbage in racing, or at least not in the racing that I follow.

2. vincent

vincent New Member

O' contraire mo freire...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE[/ame]

The link you posted is very tragic and a total misrepresentation of all sports fans. It is also a bit dated (the victim has recently awakened from his coma) Maybe the people you should ask about this is the European "football" fans...

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...rs-target-interior-ministry-for-soccer-match/

I know it's FOX news but it's pretty verifiable...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

3. fmj

fmj New Member

Well, its more a tale of our society and the lack of etiquette. Its funny, i am and always have been a rabid Lions fan. As such i have taken my fair share of $H!T from others. I live in IN and DESPISE the dolts in general and that choke artist Peyton in particular.

Well this season with my Lions having one of the best seasons in decades and the Dolts having one of the worst ...on more than one occasion i have had idiot dolt fans wanting to get into physical altercations when i returned the feces they had fed me for YEARS! I found it to be both laughable and sickening at the same time.

The way i see it, we all have our teams, players/drivers we cheer for. I respect others and their choices for what they are, i just expect others to respect my choices. Its called SPORTSMANSHIP and its not taught at any level anymore. Parents fighting parents at little league games, Coaches shoving coaches at the end of football games etc.

If we all cheered for the same team/driver....how friggn BORING would this world be!?!?

You DO see it in motorsports!

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Your video from 1979 shows what happened on the track between competitors in the "game". Did any fans get into fistfights in the parking lot over it? Well, if they did you would have never known about it in 1979.

The link I posted is about a local guy (Brian Stow). There have been several other incidences of fan brutality, specifically that I have read about locally at the San Jose Sharks games where fans of opposing teams have been attacked at Sharks games. The same thing happens at Little League games & et cetera which I have read about all over the country.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Well, if there was only one team out on the field there would be no game. One car on the track it would be a testing session.

You see racing drivers and sometimes teams get into it with each other, but I have not yet heard about racing fans beating each other down over their favored drivers.

I used to work as a professional race crew worker (way back in the 1980's) and as a volunteer more recently. Back then teams would help each other out unless the other team were outright A-holes. I worked for many teams whom we competed with if one of our cars was not in the same race. I worked several of the Daytona 24 Hour races and a couple of Baja 1000 races. There was rarely that sort of animosity between race crews and if there was it was not exhibited in the way I am lamenting.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

I understand what you're saying, I have no answer for why some people cross that line. Why so much trouble at the Shark's games? We have an NHL team here and that stuff never goes on.

And I promise you, there are fistfights at EVERY nascar race!!:D

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I don't doubt that there are fistfights at every NASCAR race. Lot of drunken fans there, as with most all sports (maybe bicycle racing is an exception?), but the fistfights at NASCAR races I would daresay are more between a couple of drunken rednecks who would be fighting over something else if not the race.

Here is another story http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_19643360

Are California fans just more brutal?

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Sports are supposed to be about teamwork, fairplay, courtesy, and learning to deal with lifes ups and downs in an adult manner.

And if you don't root for New England tommorow, I'll kill you! :eek:

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Have to keep in mind the sports media is just like the political media...they paint the picture THEY want you to see. Things like that happen all the time, (sadly) and the story gets more attention because of WHERE it happened.

I think the bicycle fans are too busy stickin' their pinkies in the air, as they sip their chablis, to care. :D

CA fans more brutal? No more than any other I suppose, unless you've been a Cowboy fan at an Eagles game...

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have been to maybe 3 or 4 SF Giants games over the past 10 years (I was at a game where Barry Bonds hit a home run record. Our seats were literally 20 feet from where the guy caught the ball. Free tickets.). The last Oakland A's game I went to was in the early '80's. Never been to a '49'rs game, Raiders game or Sharks game. I certainly have never been a Cowboy fan at an Eagles game......

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Really you don't see it in racing?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLf-ny2I-SY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWFtvkrh5PE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyvsmQOYpOA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCDsjJcThs[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=rEn6zJpXry8&NR=1

Any time you have men in a competitive sport there is going to be fighting.

As for fans. I have been to a few NHRA races and a few NASCAR races and there are always fights. Mostly drunken swinging (Two Drunks just swinging wildly at one of the 4 other guys in front of them) fights that don't do anything other than cause the two involved to look like drunkin morons.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes, I did not see any fistfights between racing drivers when I worked in that field. Not one. A couple of heated arguments yes, but never a fight. I am talking about the fans, not the competitors on the field.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You are showing examples of heated exchanges between racing drivers. I am asking about brutal attacks on fans by fans of the opposing team in the stands and that sort of thing.

14. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I don't believe all fans are like that. It's kind of like saying every time some idiot shoots up a building that all gun owners are murders. Some people are just heartless....

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

I don't understand fans' violent actions. I am all for some good-natured trash talking among my friends during football season, but it is all in fun. After all, it's only a game!

It doesn't help when kids see their parents behaving badly from a young age. If their idea of sportsmanship is dad cursing at the referee, heckling children on the opposing team, and yelling at the coach for not letting the kid play the whole game, it is little wonder they grow up to be such bad sports. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of those people who things that 'every kid should get a trophy because every kid should be the winner.' However, I think every kid should be taught that sportsmanship is just as important as winning.

I think it boils down to too much pride and a lack of respect and self-control. (Though this seems to be a problem with society in general, not just at sporting events.) Throw a little alcohol into the mix, and you have guys beating each other bloody over a game they are not even watching anymore! I have seen it happen at a football game or two in college. I sure don't understand it.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very well said and telling of human nature. i agree, sports and alcohol sometimes don't mix!

17. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I think you'll just find a$&holes everywhere. Any sport. That many people in one place, 2 douche bags are sure to get into it.

I used to rope calves in the PRCA. Every rodeo I was in direct competition with some of my best friends. Half of us used the same horse. If you knew the pen of calves you lets whoever know what each calf did. If your buddy won you slapped him on the back, told him good job and headed down the road. If some a$$hat won you gritted your teeth, got in the pickup and did your damnedest to win next time.

Some guys I talk to almost everyday still. Some guys I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. A@$bags are everywhere, it's just easier to pick them out someplace were people have different opinions in close contact with others. Most decent folks are decent where ever they go. But you can only take so much from certain no talent ass clowns...

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I enjoy several sports but I'm not a overzealous fan about it. If my team doesn't win the World Series, Stanley Cup, etc. but yours does, I'm happy for you. I don't understand fans that just about beat their tv's with a baseball bat when their team loses. It's a game........it's supposed to be for fun.

Things like this is what I find difficult to deal with. A fist fight, crazy but maybe understandable. To kill someone.........DANG!

This happened in 1994 but I still think about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Escobar

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I do not at all mean to say that all fans, or even a majority of fans, are like this. But in my opinion even one is too many. Same as with the idiots who shoot up a building. One is to many.

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I suppose I am the one duck in the chicken yard. Would not pay $1 to attend a football, basketball, baseball, soccer or hockey game (other than going to see the kids play) It just does nothing for me.

Yes, fans can be idiots. I remember the Denver PD using tear gas to break up the riots after Denver won the Superbowl. And if you need a definition of hooligan, check out the soccer fans in Europe and South America. Sheesh!

Today, weather permitting, I shall be at the range this afternoon. Along with a few other ducks that can anticipate fewer people on the range.

I DO have to mentally compare the drunk with no shirt, his body painted in team colors, screaming at other fans- and the folks I find at a pistol match- sober, polite, well mannered and friendly.

Amazing how civil everyone is when everyone is carrying a .45.........:rolleyes: