Honest opinions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by michigan0626, Nov 5, 2009.

1. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Question for you guys. I have been looking for my first gun. I want a 1911. I cant stand the look of Glocks. But here is my question, I am currently in the process for the US Marshals Service (still waiting for interview), they use either the Glock 22 or Glock 23. Not sure which one. Would it be wise to purchase this pistol to become proficient with it. Then while at the academy it we be second nature to handle and shoot. Honest opinions, please. Like I said early, I would never buy a Glock other than for this purpose. Would it be a smart move.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have told other cop prospects this same thing.

It's pointless to buy a weapon based on what you THINK you will be carrying/shooting.

If you have the job, that is one thing. Delayed entry, or a bunch of class time before you get to firearm's training and you are WORRIED about it, but to buy one now, for a job you MIGHT get, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Have a friend of my woman. He was testing with about 11 different local agencies, but was SURE he was getting on with Seattle PD.

Wanted to buy the Glock they carry in Seattle so that he could practice. Ex-Navy, been out of shooting for like 8 years and was worried about quals, because he isn't that great of a shot to be honest....

Sure enough he gets hired by King County Sheriff and they carry a Glock, but it's a different model. Seattle has the .40 or the .45 and the Sheriff carries the 9mm or the .40

He now carries a 9mm with 147grain and still can't shoot for crap... LOL But most of that I blame on the Glock. :D

So, in my opinion, don't buy a gun based on what you MIGHT be carrying some day...

Also, I thought the Marshall's carried Sigs??

JD

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I thought so as well. Anyway, a big +1 to JD's advice - get the gun you really want and practice with it...

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Shooting in general will help you in the end weather it is with your future carry weapon or not. All the fundamentals are the same. Point, shoot and shoot again.

So me I would get a 22semi auto and practice with it and save some money on the gun and ammo.

5. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

The Federal AIR Marshals Service carries the Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Deputy US Marshals carry the Glock 22 (usmarshals.gov says glock 22, but I have also read glock 23)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

With that statement I would get a 1911 Government and then get a 22LR kit from Marvel Precision.

"Tests from a machine rest have delivered groups around 1.8" at 50 yards ... for 100 shots with inexpensive ammo" from marvelprecision.com

7. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

How about a Smith & Wesson M&P or a Springfield XD? They are polymer pistols like the Glock and the trigger has a somewhat similar feel.

I see how transitioning from a single action 1911 to a Glock can cause some problems, but it's nothing that a little practice can't fix.

If you really HATE Glocks, don't get one. Get something else you'll actually enjoy shooting.

8. DrJason

DrJason New Member

My 0.02.....if this is a gun for person shooting, then get whatever you want and will have fun shooting, as someone else said any shooting is going to make you a better shot with other guns......besides, if you do get the job you will get to shoot the service gun then why own the same gun for personal use, I would prefer some variety in shooting

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

The grip angle is much different between a 1911 and a Glock. I shoot a 1911 and a buddy a Glock 21. When I shoot the Glock, my aim upon clearing leather is way off, because I've developed the muscle memory for the 1911's ergonomics. It feels wrong in my hands because there is no grip safety and no safety lever for my right thumb to ride on and no magazine release for my left thumb to sit on.

As much as I hate to say it, you'd be better off training with a Glock, just so you can develop the muscle memory associated with the Glock's ergonomics. It would be best to train with the proper caliber for the agency, but using a .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP would be the best bet. That way if you 'step down' to a 9mm, you're used to the heavier recoil.

I owned a USP in .45 ACP that I shot a lot. When I went to qualify with the M9 for the Army, most of the ergonomics were similar, but the recoil just wasn't there. This, and a quick clear, instead of a mag change, allowed me to qualify Expert with a score of 34 out of 30.

10. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Get what you want and like. You will get a lot of trigger time on the Glock in the academy. They like any other agency do not just hand you a gun and tell you to got shot a qualification with it. +1 to the others comments on any gun training is good training, but be careful to not build bad habits. If you do not have much training with guns, go find a trainer that is good and get some.

11. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I just thought about that.

My reasoning is that I would want to be an expert on that gun and have an upper edge on firearms training. I think I'll hold out for the 1911. Thanx guys.

I shoot either Beretta 92 Vertecs or Ruger P95s for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Consists of about 30 rounds once a year. Not sure how these compare to the G22.

12. matt g

The reason that a lot of agencies use the Glocks is because it is tough to build bad habits with them, aside from pulling the trigger.

13. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

just a thought here, but if you hate the glock, then don't get one for your home gun. as mentioned before you will be issued one if you get the job and given range time to practice with it during your firearms training.

yeah, you might get "used" shooting whatever you get for your personal gun and the service gun might be weird at first, but who says you can't be proficient with more than one gun. i know i can shoot several types of pistols proficiently (good enough to take down a bad guy anyway) and i highly doubt i am even close to being one of the best shooters in this forum.

so my thinking is that if you have to shoot a gun you hate at work, then why would you want the same one at home? i mean if you worked at mcdonalds (just an example) all day making crappy hamburgers when you went home for dinner the last thing you would want is a crappy hamburger on your plate right?

in my opinion you should just get what you want, the go to a range and rent a few guns and see what you like best method seems pretty sound to me.

remember, the gun they may give you at work you will give back when you retire, but the one you buy for yourself you might have for the rest of your life, so get something that you like...just my two cents.

14. matt g

Muscle memory is absolutely necessary under stressful conditions. There is already too much confusion and adrenalin, why add more?

15. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i think there are general skills (targeting, squeezing the trigger, etc.) that carry over from gun to gun.

i can shoot dead on with a modern semi auto pistol with all the bells and whistles, and i can also shoot bullseyes with my .357 mag revolver at 30-40 yards. it is possible to master more than one type of pistol.

sure, get good at the pistol you would use on the job, even practice with it more than any other gun you have (if you get the job that is) but that doesn't mean you have to keep one in your nightstand.

i bet that there are people in this very forum with half a dozen pistols that they could shoot from muscle memory and hit a bg with deadly accuracy in a high stress situation.

i don't think being good with more than one gun is necessarily a bad thing, if anything being only familiar with one type would put you at a disadvantage.

"if i had my glock you would be sooo dead, but since all i can find is this 1911, you're safe"...yeah right.

anyone with at least ample shooting skills should be able to hit a human with enough accuracy to get the job done with any functional pistol within pistol range, if not, maybe they shouldn't be certified to carry on the job.

again, just my two cents.

16. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I second jbshoots in that a firearm is a firearm is a firearm when the basics are considered. You can be like JD and blame your weapon for poor accuracy :)D I expect a Tango-esq kick in the j---- for that), but despite capacity, grip angle, construction material, weight, recoil characteristics or other weapon specific characteristics, the seven principles are ALWAYS the same: stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control and follow through. Compare it to learning to drive a standard shift vehicle- the principle is the same, but each vehicle may have model specific finer points that you will get used to.

Buy whatever you like and practice. If you truly are concentrating on and learning the basics of marksmanship, you will not notice a significant difference in your accuracy from weapon to weapon I don't believe.

Good luck.

17. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I know the basics of marksmanship. I was in the Marine Corps, and I was taught the methods used by Federal Law Enforcement Firearms Training at FLETC. I just thought it would give me an edge. Basically I guess I just need a gun in my hand and shoot it alot.

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That sir is the secret to success. Beware of a 1911 though. Once you get used to the trigger - nothing else will feel as natural and proper - you'll be ruined...

19. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Sorry man but I have to call BS on this. With out fundamentals any person can build bad habits on any gun. If you teach your self to do something completely different from what the firearms instructor is teaching and wants you to do then you will have a very hard time fixing it. I have seen and trained with both new and experienced shooters. I found the new shooters had a much easier time taking in the training and shooting a qualification with better score. The Glock like any other gun will not fix the bad habits of any shooter. Any gun will for the most part shot point of aim and point of impact (depending on range and quality) line until a person puts his hands on it. The person is what make a gun shot bad in most cases. From what I am seeing in his post he wants a leg up on the others. He can get this by getting correct training and shooting/dry fire a lot. :)

20. WDB

WDB New Member

You are currently employed by the "Federal Bureau of Prisons" and use to be a Marine? Just want to get a handle on you before I offer an opinion.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009