Homeowner's gun jammed

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by smokemup, Sep 10, 2014.

1. smokemup

smokemup New Member

Anyone seen the story of Joseph Cihak, a homeowner in St. Petersburg, Fla? A burglar broke in and the homeowner took two shots and his gun jammed. He had another available so was able to hold him at bay.

I can't find the type of gun it was that jammed.

Anyone?

Story Link

2. smokemup

smokemup New Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  3. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I think you are right -

Then there is the perp, who has been arrested three OTHER times and was on probation when he pulled this one - with an outstanding warrant on another one.

Revolving door justice at it's finest!

4. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I could turn up nothing on what kind of gun it was that jammed, though -

5. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

It wasn't a Glock for sure.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

glock is my first bet. they are mostly myth. see them jam up more than any other type at the range

7. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

1911 was my first guess. Figured the guy forgot to polish the feed ramp, change the mag release, adjust the trigger, and clean it after every shot.

8. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never seen a Glock jam, just sayin

9. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

Hahaha that's funny,this would be the first time I have ever heard this.

10. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

lol.............:d

11. smokemup

smokemup New Member

Haha. Funny stuff right there! I'm sort of hoping it's a Glock just to see the responses. LOL :p

12. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I'm not saying it can't happen. But it is almost impossible. The guy might have forgot to remove all the mud or ice from his last torture test. He still got off two rounds. That's still two more than a 1911 going through the same test. I'm pretty sure there will be a good explanation if it was a Glock. Unlike the normal response to the 1911. "I don't know why it didn't fire? I paid $1200 bucks it should have fired. At least that's what the guys at the range say. I've never really shot it. Costs to much to repair it".

13. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Whatever it was it must have had a bent barrel. Two shots and the guy wasn't dead.

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

As to Glock vs. 1911 round 15,000,000, all I have to say is Murphy's Law. this time, whatever could go wrong, did.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

G, that's you ! You take care of yours.
    A lot of folks do not. We had a guy told to leave our volunteer agency, which is like next to impossible, since, everyone volunteers their time except for the State wide Sr. Leadership. Why you ask? Two ND's on the Range in Back to back training sessions. Which gun wasn't he taking care of ?? A Glock 19. The debate is endless, just like the Caliber debate. Fact is, it's the User, not the Machine, like many other things around us in the world. Even you have Guns other then Glocks...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

All firearms jam at times, Glocks are no different. In my experience at ranges I see Glocks with stoppages for various reasons all the time, the last time it was caused by light strikes.

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A lot if debate without knowing the gun involved. Lots of manufacturers out there. It could have been anything. Jury duty I sat on, involved a Colt Mustang that jammed while a guy was trying to shoot his wife. I've made several of my pistols jam while testing light loads, trying to find some of the lightest loads I could get to cycle reliably. Beretta, Glock, 1911, Sig. I've done a few torture tests as well, to find the levels that cause jams. I've seen some ammo types that individual guns just didn't like.

This is why folks are encouraged to try lots of loads and lots of any given load before deciding to use it for defense. It is also why people are also encouraged to clean and maintain any carry or home defense gun.

No use bashing any brand when we don't know what was used, ammo employed and maintenance state of the firearm involved.

18. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

More moving parts = more potential problems that's why I love revolvers they hold less rounds but I can count on them working when I need them to. I own several semi automatic handguns but will always trust my ruger gp 100 more than any other handgun in the house!