Homemade bullet proof vest.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Oct 31, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

There are several are several videos on youtube about how to make a bulletproof vest out of ordinary ceramic tile. Apparently you wrap each individual tile in duct tape, then tape three or so tiles together.

A guy at the cigar shop did this. Made himself a vest. When he tested it out, it stopped a 9mm, but (not surprisingly) failed stop (or even slow down) a .308 fired from about 19 feet away. He was really bummed about that, but my understanding is that very few commercial vest could do this.

I'm not sure how it would hold up against a .223; I suspect it would be pretty much one time use item.

Anybody have any thought/experience with homemade bulletproof items? Back when I was a criminal defense lawyer in Ft. Worth I thought of making a bulletproof briefcase, but never actually bothered to do it.

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Home made bullet proof vest:eek: LMAO

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Sorta my reaction, but this guy was excited about the concept. Other videos showing how to make one out of fiberglass material.

I would think that if you actually NEED a bulletproof vest, this is not one area where one would want to cheap out.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Ooooops. When testing a vest, make sure your buddy can hit center mass from 10 feet:

[ame]http://youtu.be/pPb5k4_lqaU[/ame]

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

There's another one where the guy gets shot with 9mmFMJ point blank wearing his vest. He dies on camera. Darwin Award. Hope these people never breed.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For homemade, will stick to wine and cookies.

First, NOTHING in this world is bullet PROOF. Things are bullet resistant. And you would be surprised at the penetration of some bullets over others.

There was a handgun round- the .256 Win magnum. A .357 necked down to .25 cal. Never real popular, but there WAS factory loaded ammo. And a regular ball round would punch a 1/4 inch steel plate.

The armored briefcase is not a bad idea- there is one made with a fold out flap of armored material to cover more of you. Here is one of many companies that sell those- http://www.bulletblocker.com/bullet-proof-briefcase-bulletproof-carry-on-luggage-and-bags.html

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Anybody want to try out my homemade parachute?

8. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I do I do :D

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are bullet resistant clip boards and back packs for kids available now.

10. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I don't understand the concept of "testing" bullet resistant vests while wearing them. Oh, mebbe (I don't know) the major, legitimate body armor manufacturers do some testing on live subjects, after extensive tests on the armor without being worn, but for a backyard bubba to have a buddy shoot him to test out a homemade or even a store bought vest just goes against everything I believe about gun safety. And, like was said, some bullets penetrate better than others.

He's another video I found. Some people have odd ideas of recreation.

[ame]http://youtu.be/vkxcv2NXpI0[/ame]

What up, dawg?

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If it wrong that I could watch that all day long and laugh at every second of the idiocy every time?

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Studies show that where home made ballistic vest are made and tested cost are reduced. The studies show that these neighborhoods have a significant drop in Food Stamp cost and unwed mothers.:eek:

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

And I thought homemade beer was adventurous. Homemade body armor seems like a great way to fastrack a Darwin award.
    Sure...I'll go second.

14. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Impenetrable? Maybe the Michelin man, I dunno.

15. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

Being a mechanical engineer and liking to make things myself, I would say that we probably would not have a lot of the weapons technology we have without those guys willing to spend the time to experiment and make it work. I feel for those like Zerox that really never see the fruits of their work.
    Most people don't know that Coors was a the major player in ceramics lenses that are in cruise missiles and such. I tried to break a sample lens with a hammer and did not even scratch it.
    Common sense should always prevail.

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

If anybody has done some homemade bulletproof vest designs and had tested them, I would love to hear about their finding. I am not against people experimenting; just with the way some of them go about testing. I would think that for someone like me, whose skill with tools is about equal with a bear wearing boxing gloves, it would be risky to depend on my basement creations; for those who know what they are doing, more power to them, and, like I said, I wanna hear about the results.

17. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny as heck. :D

18. TexasInfidel

TexasInfidel New Member

roflmao!!!!!!

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If someone is stupid enough to stand there while someone else shoots at them...well maybe it was time to thin the herd.

I have considered thinking of a way to fill a wall in my home. You know, to make a room that a bullet would not be able to enter. If I ever have need to replace sheetrock in my home I will try it to protect my family. Not sure what I would use though. Maybe fill the space between the studs with concrete or something.

20. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Concrete won't stop 7.62 rounds FYI. At least not the amount you could pour into a wall cavity.