Home schooling?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Oct 22, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok so I was talking to my dad earlier about homeschooling. He said he was considering it. My opinion is, I feel I would do much better if I'm home schooled,I could save my dad time and I could dropmmy sister off and pick her up from school as well. The thing is, I kinda miss out on the social part. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of friends and I know a bunch of girls already. But I would still miss out on meeting new. So to sum it I feel I would do better but I'm not sure if I'd want to miss out on the whole social part of things. What do you guys think? Anyone else ever get home schooled? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I homeschool my two boys, one is almost 17 and the other is 15. My oldest son is going to a trade school right now and has met several new kids his age there. We also go to a home school conference every year, but the reality of it is that most of their friends are not the same age as them. Their friends run the full range of ages. Neither one of them are too interested in dating right now as they are enjoying their trucks and guns and stuff. My 15 year old said the other day that he would rather spend time on working on restoring his Jeep as that was way cheaper than girls.

3. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

I was home schooled from 5th-12th grade.I did miss out on the social part but i had friends from around the neighborhood,youth group,karate,ect.

I hated it up until i started working at 16 (23 now),then between work and other activities i was around people every afternoon,and dealing with new
    people (customers) alot. You'll definitely learn alot more,just make sure you have places to go and socialize and do stuff or you will get bored stiff staying around the house all the time.

Looking back i wish i had gone through high school because of some of the things i missed out on,but alot of kids around here ****ed up their lives doing stupid **** and that could have just as easily been me. So in then end i guess i'm better off.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I did not home school my kids. I felt they did best with public schools and lots of parental involvement. There is something to be said for learning to find your way through certain situations in a public school that a home schooled child may not be exposed to. That is just my opinion.

That being said, I think home schooled kids can get involved in park district sports and do quite well meeting friends. There are also community clubs you could join to satisfy that need to broaden your horizon on friends and experiences. You would have to have a parent that is willing to be involved in your home schooling and to spend the time setting up your curriculum and making sure it is done properly.

5. slog

slog New Member

I won't allow my kids to go to public school. It's become a big fashion show and popularity contest among students. Kids get judged by the cost of their clothing, how they act, what types of music they listen to, how many other kids they're having sex with, if they're smoking or not, doing drugs, etc. It's hard to concentrate on actually learning anything in that environment, and I don't want any influence from those kids on my kids. My wife's kid went to public school and now takes pride in being "ghetto" and cares more about rap music than anything else. She didn't learn that from her mom or dad. She picked it up at school. No thanks. My kids are getting schooled at home. They're also learning trade skills like auto repair (yes, my girls are doing this), computer programming and whatever else I feel like teaching them.

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Exactly what I mean, I was starting to get sucked into that but my dad won't allow it lucky for me I'm on the right track, my brother not so much. I can't stand it when people have there pants on the ground and act all ghetto. Actually because I dress like a southern boy sometimes other guys try starting stuff, girls well most of em find me attractive guess other people are just jealous. I've never been a follower though, always been me never caring what other kids think. I have my future planned(joining the marines when I get out of high school) that's why I'm nervous about homeschooling, I want to have fun before I join the marines I assume going to a marine college or living on the base, I won't be around to many girls and there won't be much partying like in the movies. So like I said I'm not sure what to do.

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

That just shows how weak minded people are, if you are getting sucked into these cliques. You have to be yourself! You really need social skills and what better place than public schools. If the other kids are jumping off a bridge, does that mean you are going to follow? I would hope not. I have ZGs stories to hear when she gets a home schooled kid in her class that has huge skill gaps. Yes some parents are capable of home schooling, but majority of them are not capable.

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

If you are going to be a Marine, you need to be mentally strong. If you're having troubles in public school, I would worry about your mental state in terms of being in the military. I am a teacher and see the good and the bad. I personally would not homeschool my children as they need to learn to interact with others. I guess your decision needs to be based on what your reasons truly are for being homeschooled and if your parents are willing to take on that responsibility.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Beast, follow your own heart and discuss it with your father. there are good points to either homeschooling or public schools. to me it sounds as if though you already have some goals in mind and that is very good. also sounds to me that you are maybe wanting to do the homeschooling to avoid all the pitfalls of peer pressure and to stay on track with your goals. this way you can concentrate on your studies and not have to worry about other kids and their drama.

social life? get a part time job, or join some type of sport such as martial arts, or find some volunteer work that interests you. this way you would be able to socialize and meet people. there are plenty of places to have a social life outside of just school if you are homeschooled.

i wish you luck with whatever you decide and hope i have helped you out.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My kids went to public schools. I didn't have much money and they certainly didn't have the fashionable clothes. If they wanted some special clothing, they used their own money above and beyond what I gave them for school clothes. My kids didn't follow the 'idiots' and their trends and bad habits. They learned to be comfortable for who they are.

That being said, I am not against home schooling. I know some very intelligent home schooled kids though some, not all, tend to be a little on the 'odd' side socially. But I think it's because the parents never let them interact with the neighborhood children or with anyone else who wasn't home schooled. Also, strong and strict religious beliefs sometimes played a part. Almost cult-like religious beliefs.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

See the thing is I'm already good at socializing and meeting new people. I'm pretty good with girls as well. Wouldnt I be able to work more when I get a job?

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Enjoy being young. You have the rest of your life to work and have responsibilities.

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

How old are you Beast? I thought you were in High School, if so you don't have that much left of schooling. Stay strong and move forward.

14. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Yes I'm in high school. I do feel that homeschooling would be better for my education though.

15. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

This is just me (I'm 35)....I far more regret the things in life that I didn't do as opposed to the things that I have done. You just have to decide if you will regret not going to school.

16. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

If you lived in California, I'd say yes. I'm not certain about Illinois schools. If you like your friends at school, and are pulling a 3.0 GPA or higher, then personally, I don't see a need for homeschool.

If you notice that material you are being taught in school is very objective (like in CA), then you may want to consider it. If you have a good homeschool tutor, you could learn a lot more than in public school.

At times, High School will be the time of your life, other times not so much. You have to decide want you think will fit YOU personally.

17. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Oh should have mention I just moved so I don't know anyone at this new school.

18. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Isn't this where social skills kick in to make new friends?

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Yes but since I haven't been to the school yet, I won't loose any friends or anything.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Beastmode,
    Talk to a recruiter. Homeschooling has become more and more mainstream these days and all of the armed services are seeing these young men and women in the recruiting centers. Also seek out a homeschool group in your home state as they can give you some insight from that perspective.

As to the social aspect of traditional versus homeschooling the two are very different indeed. Traditionally schooled kids have, by the very design of it, the same peer group, all of the same age, throughout their schooling careers. The other students do not change much, you have the "authority figures" (teachers) and all of the students are expected to be at the same level at the same age. There is very little discipline to speak of, many of the things that kids need to learn about are not taught well or even at all except by the very peers that you are with every day. They know nothing more than you do about sex, drugs, alcohol, social interaction with diverse people of different ages. And on and on.

Absolutely none of this actually happens in life once you leave school, except perhaps on an assembly line. That is what traditional schools are set up to produce. Factory workers. The traditional schooling method does not in any way prepare you for real life after school.

In homeschooling you can do anything you want to and do it any way you want to. You sound like a smart kid, if you are bored in public school then that will only continue as long as you stay there. If you are bored in homeschooling its because you are not challenging yourself. You have it in your power to change that, which is not so in public school because you have to stick in their mold, even for advanced students. If you want to get a job it is within your ability to do so. My sons have been working several jobs since they were 13, my oldest son (16 years) is currently doing side jobs fixing cars for a couple of people. He is on track to be working as a paid intern with a car dealership as a mechanic. Both of my sons have had a wide variety of friends, ranging in age across the spectrum. We spend a lot of time with people from all walks of life, and many of them have become friends.