home protection

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by niteglock, Jan 22, 2013.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Home protection?

1911 style? Sao
    Sig/Hk style? Da/Sa
    Glock/m&p style? Safe action double.

Which do you prefer and why?

Just out of those types. No shotguns/rifles.

2. cj84

cj84 New Member

I have a night glock and a day glock.

3. GhostUSA556

GhostUSA556 New Member

I would go with the Glock. But it all comes down to training and preference. I sleep with my AR...

4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Those Glock type triggers are not safe without the employ of a manual safety to ensure! I find it so absurd that people convince themselves that this is at all a safety feature. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm pro 1911esque and DA/SA. I can't really choose between the two. Most would say that a consistent trigger pull, whether DAO or SAO, is better than something that has both, but for me the first shot being a longer pull is fine, its the subsequent shots that must be immediate and short. So, again, either would suit ya fine and would be my recommendation.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My SIG P229 is by my bedside.

6. danolator

danolator New Member

My bedside gun is a Glock 19 with 130 lumen light & manual trigger safety. A quick touch shoots out the trigger guard & she goes bang. I carry an M&P because of the manual thumb safety. If Glock made one, I'd get rid of the M&P in a heartbeat.

7. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

My M&P 40 is right next to me when I sleep. Because there's no safety to worry about if I'm woke up in the middle of the night. I practice safe gun handling daily, so my muscle memory would save me from potential accidents. And it has a rail with my gun light/laser on it to blind the intruder and give me a relative idea of where I'm aiming

8. weapon

weapon New Member

Usually a 1911...sometimes a Commander (both in .45acp). I have Sig, Beretta, Ruger, S&W, etc. DA/SA pistols and Glocks as well but I can shoot the 1911 design a bit more quickly and more accurately than the others. Of course, there is also a tactical flashlight, an AR with an Aimpoint and a M590 not too far from the bed...

9. AR10

AR10 New Member

All information points to a shotgun being the best home protection firearm for most situations. You have kids on the other side of plaster walls, you do not want to shooting at burglars and killing your own family in the next room, or two rooms over, or your next door neighbor. A 20 ga shotgun will hit what it is aimed at, not missing, and not hurting uninvolved people sleeping in the next room.

Somebody sleeps with an AR ? That round is not defensive, it is offensive. It is made to bust into a house, and sweep all inside, walls or no. Why place your family, your neighbors at such grave danger? Rethink that in my humble opinion. An AR round entering your leg, might come out the top of your head. It goes bizerk once it finds bone, or wood, or plaster, or most anything and changes direction often times. It is going 3,400 feet a second, at a twist, that makes it unpredictable. Great in throw lead combat, piss poor in home and family protection.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. danolator

danolator New Member

Shotguns are excellent home defense weapons, but 00 buckshot can easily pass through walls. Never had a 20ga, but I keep low recoil #4 shot in my 12ga. I agree with your thoughts on the AR, but where are you getting .223 ammo @ 3400 FPS? I shoot cheap stuff that hits the muzzle around 2900 FPS. Regardless. At that velocity I'm not sure of the relevance of your twist & predictability statement given typical room distances. Nonetheless, An AR is a very poor choice for home defense IMO.

11. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I have a Sig p226 extreme 40. with tritium sights on my night stand.

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I've got .40 S&W and a couple of 12 gauges handy.

The question is, will I wake up in the middle of the night lol. Hopefully my K9 does her job

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Low Tech/High Performance

S&W Model 19 .357 mag. in headboard w/ flashlight. Old Winchester 1200 w/ 20 in. barrel loaded w/ 5 "00" buckshot in easy reach. Had S&W for over 20 years & 1200 since I was 15yrs. old, bought it in 1974. They still work!

14. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Bump.

He said no shotguns or rifles. Plus this is the handgun section of the forum

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

my bad, lost track.

16. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Lol. I know. My worst fear is not waking up if someone broke in. Hopefully my loud snoring would make them think a crazy animal is in here.

17. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I'm paranoid about this too plus I sleep with a loud fan. Back to the OP I have both a DAO LC9 and SAO 1911. I'm comfortable with either. Once the safety comes off and my sights are on target there are two options. The BG will lie face down til the cops arrive. Or hell lie face down til the coroner arrives. His choice. I'm comfortable with both of my handguns. I've practiced rapid accurate fire with both and can competently execute the minute actions that accompany each pistol.

18. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

I keep a Kimber Tactical Entry with a TLR light on the night stand and a Benelli M2 with OO buck next to the bed. I also have a Glock 22 on the dresser and a HK53 in a soft case next to my bed. There are extra mags in the other upstairs rooms so if I get pinned down in a room I still have ammo.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, BTB, but I gotta I call B.S. on this! The Glock trigger is just as safe as any DA revolver.

I wouldn't own a Gock if it had a manual safety. I consider manual safeties useless on any auto other than a SA.

20. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

+1 in all respects.