Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
What shotgun would you reccommend to protect my home?
An upland game gun in 20, 16 or 12 ga with bird shot.

Prosecuting attorneys have a hard time painting you as a vigilantly!

Bird shot has limited penetration.

Bad guys shot with bird shot at close quarters are just as dead as those shot with 00 Buck and show no pre-meditation.

Wise up guys!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Your handgun is to provide you time to get to your shotgun!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I too decided to pick up a shot gun for home protection. I went with the Mossberg 590 12 GA. pump action. Holds 9 shots, switched the stock out with a pistol grip for that close range action. Maybe you say, 12 gauge to much for the house? oh, blow a hole in the door, were talking about shooting someone here... you think im that worried about the door or a wall after I just shot someone who was in my house? Id be more worried about who's cleaning the guts off whats left of the wall or door behind the guy.
Just a thought...

Mossberg 590 12 GA. Great US made shotgun at a very affordable price. many upgrades available.
I'd be worried about both especially if I had a wife or children in the rooms behind the wall.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I say you go for a good 12 gauge pump or a good and reliable auto if you can get one.

The loads you choose to use depend on the circumstances. If you are concerned about overpenetration then you might want to use bird shot. However, if blowing holes clean through the intruder and sending rounds into the rooms behind him isn't a worry then buckshot is an option.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I PREFER THE SHOTGUN, FINALLY A COMPANY FOUND A WAY TO GIVE ME ACCESS. CHECK-OUT The Back-Up :: Home Protection Within Reach ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, I ORDER ONE FOR EACH SIDE OF THE BED:cool:
I like the idea of a shotgun close by, but for many people with children it is hard to secure. This seems very accessible, but not very secure. Is there anything else on the market that does both and works with pumps and autos?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
home defense

remington 870 upgrades ...ati synthetic pistol grip buttstock , mag ext ,20''barrel with compensated polychoke....buy the way '' splatters'' pic of the witness protection shotgun with breacher choke shown is ''off '' safety.....awareness children its all about awareness

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Here's what I use, NEF pardner pump (protector) loaded with 00 buck

Wood Tool Fish Fashion accessory Office supplies

It's also my truck gun, the folding stock takes up little room under the backseat of my F150 or behind the seat in my Dakota.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
As for the shotgun recommendation, almost anything will do.

If you're on a budget, I'd look at an NEF Pardner Protector or Mossberg Maverick 88. Both can be found for under $200 and they go bang after every time you pull the trigger.

If you have a bit more cash on hand, A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 (used) are both excellent choices, both are proven performers out on the hunting grounds, battlefields, and in Law enforcement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Canebreak- you couldn't be more wrong about the penetration power of bird shot. The FBI suggests a minimum of #4 (I think) buckshot for adequate penetration to reach vital organs. I watched a video yesterday from an ER surgeon that showed a guys Xray from being shot at close range with bird shot and it didn't penetrate into the vitals (found the video on this forum actually) . Theboxotruth.com has a number of penetration tests that also suggest that bird shot is not an adequate man stopper.
A large muscular man with extra layers of clothes and or a person hyped up on uppers/drugs/adrenaline might just get mad and charge you if u shoot them with bird shot and 1 shot might be all that u have time for. The forums on shotgunworld.com also have plenty of data to back this up if you want to take a look over there. I'm not saying that bird shot can't kill a grown person, but its not likely to stop someone in their tracks when seconds count.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.