Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Shotguns have a few advantages over handguns, or rifles for H.D.

1.) At close ranges where a H.D shooting would occur (5-20 feet) no pistol, and few rifles can come close to the power of a shotgun with #4 buck or greater.

2.) Over penetration beyond your property is less likely with a shotgun vs a pistol, or rifle. This is critical if you live in a urban area with close neighbors (civil liability and all).

3.) Aim a pistol, aim a shotgun with an 18" barrel and you will see that with most shotguns the muzzle does not extend much farther than that of a pistols at arms length.

4.) It is much easier to be accurate with a long arm, than with a handgun.

I was more than a little bothered the first time I saw a box of Hornady TAP in .308win. The idea of marketing .308win for HD sounds like a horrible idea unless you live way out in the stix with no near by neighbors.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Excellent point. Is there a Federal law that states a shotgun has to have an X" long barrel?
Yup its covered under the NFA act. Minimum barrel length is 18" and total overall length must be at least 26". Otherwise you need to register it the same way you would a SBR. Splatter has a shorty I see, but in Canada they do not have laws regulating barrel length on rifles or shotguns.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.