Home Protection Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by texasheat, May 4, 2007.

1. texasheat

texasheat New Member

What shotgun would you reccommend to protect my home?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

[​IMG]
    My Remington 870 20ga.

20 gauge is good for the home. It has less kick than a 12ga and there's less risk of overpenetration.

A Mossberg 500 series is certainly in the same league.

3. GUNGIRL

GUNGIRL New Member

eh...I have a Benelli Nova Tactical..

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just curious but the old adage is shotgun for home protection. Why is that? Shotguns seem too bulky to maneuver through the house and seem like they have a higher chance of being grabbed by the intruder if you came face to face with one around a blind corner or such.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

For some people, accessibility is an issue: behind the Iron Curtain here, shotguns can be purchased fairly easily, but you have to jump through hoops to get a pistol permit (it takes six months to a year to process the permit paperwork).

Choice of ammo is important no matter what you use. You want to stop an intruder but not harm anyone on the other side of the wall. Some people load in a slug/buck/bird sequence in the event an intruder needs progressive forms of discouragement.

Arguments can be made favoring a pistol over a shotgun and vice versa. Use what you're comfortable with and practice, practice, practice! (Can you wake up out of a sound sleep, grab your firearm, chamber a shell/round, take the safety off and aim it all in a few seconds?)

6. Brian Briggs

Brian Briggs New Member

Mossberg 590 12 gauge here.

7. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Shotguns have a few advantages over handguns, or rifles for H.D.

1.) At close ranges where a H.D shooting would occur (5-20 feet) no pistol, and few rifles can come close to the power of a shotgun with #4 buck or greater.

2.) Over penetration beyond your property is less likely with a shotgun vs a pistol, or rifle. This is critical if you live in a urban area with close neighbors (civil liability and all).

3.) Aim a pistol, aim a shotgun with an 18" barrel and you will see that with most shotguns the muzzle does not extend much farther than that of a pistols at arms length.

4.) It is much easier to be accurate with a long arm, than with a handgun.

I was more than a little bothered the first time I saw a box of Hornady TAP in .308win. The idea of marketing .308win for HD sounds like a horrible idea unless you live way out in the stix with no near by neighbors.

8. GUNGIRL

GUNGIRL New Member

uh yeah...you hear a shotgun being racked back...you know you need to run...just the fear of hearing one does it for me

9. dkpbxman

dkpbxman New Member

unmistakable sound

Before I retired from the NYPD, sometimes we'd be on the street with a crowd of nosy people around us totally unfazed by our drawn .38's but when the Emergency Service guys showed up and racked the old 12 ga. Ithaca's:eek: , people would stop in the middle of a sentance and stare.

10. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Not necessarily:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Excellent point. Is there a Federal law that states a shotgun has to have an X" long barrel?

12. Splatter

Splatter New Member

When you write "Federal" do you mean American?

13. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Yup its covered under the NFA act. Minimum barrel length is 18" and total overall length must be at least 26". Otherwise you need to register it the same way you would a SBR. Splatter has a shorty I see, but in Canada they do not have laws regulating barrel length on rifles or shotguns.

14. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Hey-hey-hey, It might look a little small; but I've never had any complaints! ;)

-

Actually the Canadian regs on barrel length only pertain to semi-auto centrefire firearms. So pumps like the two pictured (neither are mine), or levers or bolts have another, different and complex series of regs that apply to them. For instance, the two shotties pictured can be carried and used anywhere it would be legal to carry any 'normal' shotgun. They would also be legal with a standard-type fixed stock; but if one of us attached a folding stock to either they would become "prohibited" (sort of the same as an unpapered SBR in the USA).
    It's the law, it doesn't have to make sense.

15. flashman70

flashman70 New Member

This one works for me:

[​IMG]

16. marcsafe45

marcsafe45 New Member

17. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Wow that's a kool product.

Great to have a gun at such close range.

18. TraderJack

TraderJack New Member

I like the choice of the shotgun as well.
    But you need to consider where you might be when trouble comes-a-knockin'.

With that in mind, I have the 12 ga. coach gun inside the front hall closet, (over the door), the 870 Remington inside the bed room walk-in closet, (over the door), the Glock 17 hung by a mounted magnet under the garage work bench, and one of the 1911s in the bedside stand.

Be sure to think it out... You'll discover what suits you best.:D
    Regards,
    TJ

19. badeye

badeye New Member

Winchester 1300 Defender here,6 round sidesaddle and a tactical light.

20. ishootpaper

ishootpaper New Member

mossberg 590

I too decided to pick up a shot gun for home protection. I went with the Mossberg 590 12 GA. pump action. Holds 9 shots, switched the stock out with a pistol grip for that close range action. Maybe you say, 12 gauge to much for the house? oh, blow a hole in the door, were talking about shooting someone here... you think im that worried about the door or a wall after I just shot someone who was in my house? Id be more worried about who's cleaning the guts off whats left of the wall or door behind the guy.
    Just a thought...

Mossberg 590 12 GA. Great US made shotgun at a very affordable price. many upgrades available.