home made targets?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by GeneJr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

So I'm interested in making some cheap but good targets and would like advice and info. I have a 1942 mosin nagant 91 30 that id like to do some long range shots with. Just got it so maybe starting with 100 to 200 yards. Then I also have a smith and wesson 40cal sigma id like to make a target for also. Something I can have fun with. Anything fun and cheap this is my 1st time making 1 so hopefully it turns out right.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Paper plates. Cheaper than actual targets. If you want something reactive, find a frat house and collect their empty beer cans.

Simple and cheap

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I also use 6" paper plates and plastic lids on coffee cans, and the like. I drill a hole center of the can to put a string through it and hang the can down range.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You can hang any chunk of wood from a string or rope and shoot it several times.

5. Entelzha

Entelzha New Member

If you are just target shooting, then the paper plate is about the perfect target, and when you really want to plink something fun, stop by the 7-11 and grab a bag of charcoal. those little black briquettes make a really nice puff of smoke when a round hits them

6. rbmorris

rbmorris New Member

A box of clay pigeons from Wal Mart is cheap, visible, and reactive. Paper plates, blown-up balloons hanging from a string, tennis balls as well.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I do the paper plates as well. At Wallyworld you can buy a them for less than a penny a plate. If you want to get fancy, you can cut a hole in the center of one of them and, using that as a template, and buck a can spray paint, make a bunch of them in a hurry.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

aspirin taped to a piece of cardboard works for me (also cigarette butts).

9. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

I use a mechanical pencil and shoot the lead off the end of it

10. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Strike anywhere matches r fun too. If ya hit the top just rite they light.

11. russ1982

russ1982 New Member

image-2835618333.jpg

I built 4 of these they work great cost per was about 25 bucks. I used 1 1/2 PVC for the base the stand is faring strips and I used chicken wire. I use clothes pins to hold paper targets to the chicken wire. It works great

12. bkitts

bkitts New Member

Good idea. I will have to make me a couple of these to teach CCDW class.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Both good ideas and sounds like fun. I'm going to do this next time I go down to Stalkingbear's. I wonder if I can light his grill with the charcoal briquettes, a strike anywhere match and my .22 pistol. LOL

I put out a piece of fruit and then shoot the fruit flies that land on it, one by one at 50 yds. :D

14. primer

primer New Member

Plastic jugs filled with water. Election yard signs with targets taped to them. Anything elmo or barney from a second hand store. ;D

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Potatoes put on a nice show...

16. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Yep! We do the same thing, only the bugs are gnats and we shoot the nits.

Nits are tiny parasites that live on a gnats azz, verrrry hard to hit. :D

17. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Are you related to Rube Goldberg? :p

18. iloveguns21

iloveguns21 New Member

Bowling pins and rebar work good for me

Attached Files: