Home made safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Crazycastor, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Has anyone made a gun safe from steel? I have a welder and cutter and was thinking about making one out of 1/4 inch steel. Would like to swe some ones plans if they have made one. Was thinking I could use concrete board on the inside to help slow down heat from a fire and have it powder coated when its complete.

2. AR10

AR10 New Member

Some people build home vaults. a room unit should be doable. Any level of security is a good thing.

A UL listed safe might get you discounts on insurance. The gun safes at the box stores, and not UL listed.

One company makes a round safe. If I were going to make one, I might have a go at round.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBMdSaXJnU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have a Arms Room.................

4. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Saw that round one. Its cool but no storage for anything else. I want one side for guns and the other side for ammo storage along with holster, valuable etc.

5. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

I built my own, although its more of a cabinet and less of a safe as it's only 16g. These pics are pre- paint. Primer inside, flat black outside.

Attached Files:

6. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I'm also gonna attempt to make one. I was gonna make it double walled so I could put fire retardant material between it. I'm not sure what I'm gonna make it out of prolly cold rolled. So it's easier to paint. Mcmaster Carr has better selections for fire resistant materials. They have Clays and other installation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

That's my long term goal. If I ever get a house with a basement I want to put a gun room in one corner. Floor to ceiling with cinder block and a steel door. What's your setup?

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

We own a single story house, no basement, mine is on the south side & center room, outer wall is brick with 2 bared windows, inner walls are 2x6 screwed to the wall stud with deck screws & covered with 16 gauge sheet steel, same with the ceiling, entry is 4 in. thick door with 2 deep set deadbolts, hung on 4 heavy gauge hinges in a 4x6 steel reinforced jam. It also serves as a safe room during bad weather...............

9. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

Very nice!

10. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

My homemade safe!! Kinda cool!

Thomas_18.jpg

11. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ In a reeeeeally humid environment, that could probably be reworked to be the driest safe on the block.

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Like the gun safe scoots, kinda what I'm thinking but I want one side with shelves to hold ammo cans, holster and the such. Was it a tough build?

13. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

Thanks Crazycastor! It wasn't too difficult, the important thing is having at least a 5' long brake and a finger brake. I built it in the last year of my sheet metal apprenticeship. It's 36w x 24d x 60h which worked out to exactly 2 4'x8' sheets of 16g. The hardest part is the triple bends in the door opening, but that isn't even that bad. I left enough room under the bottom shelf to store ammo cans 3 hight by 4 wide. My one regret is that i didn't make the shelves bigger. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd me more than happy to help!

14. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Deerhunter....OK, I'll be the one to ask the stupid questions.....do you keep it plugged in and running? And if you don't, doesn't it stink in there like all refrigerators do when left closed and unplugged?:confused:

15. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Refrigerators are used all the time by Welders to put welding rods in. They keep them very dry and no you do not run them.

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea I saw some pretty cool fridges turned into gun cabinets with decent locks on them. The best one I saw was a very old one with a meat locker style handle on it that took a pad lock. It was powder coated antique green and he had gold leaf lettering on it with Pin stripes. All the handles and hinges were were chrome. The inside was all gutted and custom with mirrors and lights on one side that held the guns and the other side was shelves. It looked pretty cool. If I could find a fridge or meat locker like that I would take it to American Restoration and have them custom build me one

17. Missouribound

I could see some of the old time refrigerators being re-purposed for that use. Some of them are quite neat in their appearance and esthetics. Ok for show, but no real way to make them secure. But as far as security goes, the older ones would be much harder to get into than the newer models.

18. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I agree that they aren't Fort Knox but they are better then some others I've seen that are store bought. If I were to do something like that I would have to reinforce the inside with some 1\4 inch steel all the way
    around it. Come up with some type of hidden bar locks

19. Missouribound

I completely agree. And if you don't change the outside "too much" and it's in an area where you just may have a fridge, it may get passed over by a would be thief...unless they are hungry or looking for a beer.:D

20. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

1/4 steel is just gonna slow them up a few minutes. My safe door has more steel than your entire safe would.