Home made holsters and leather work

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by kewldevil1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Have any of you made or tried to make their own holster. I gave it a shot the other day. Made a double mag holder.

Attached Files:

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

very nice. I have made a few holster myself. It is out of necessity. I am left handed. Factory selection is very limited.

3. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Same reason I needed to make the mag holder plus I like them angle like that. I was able to find a loosely molded leather holster for left hand that might work i may be able to finish molding it if not I got a nice piece of hide in mind for my next project.

4. saitek

saitek New Member

holster

i made one a while back ,nobody makes one for a 7"barrel amt long slide 1911 ,just hang it on a web belt ,made one for my old 1918 colt 1911

Attached Files:

5. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

That slide on the 7 inch 1911 must feel like a freight train slamming back. Lol

6. saitek

saitek New Member

it's not really that bad the longer sight radius makes it nicer to get a good sight picture ,
    i just tried some berry's 185 gr hollow base round nose bullet's i loaded up there nice .

7. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

I shoot 185 jhp. Haven't had a problem in 2000 rounds. They were from precision delta. There really consistent because there jacketed and not electroplated. I had Rainer b4 then and had nothing but problems and the weight was all over the place.

8. captainbelly

captainbelly New Member

Mine is mediocre but the right price

You guys put my leather working skills to shame. Where do you all get the best deal on leather? One guy told me Tandy supplies. I just got their magazine in the mail and couldn't believe the prices. I''m now looking at old western boots at garage sales and 2nd hand stores.

Attached Files:

9. saitek

saitek New Member

leather

i dont know were you live but see if there is a tandy store near you sometimes they run leather working craft shop's and they end up with a fair amount of smaller peices left over,that they put out at a reduced price .make's it better if you dont have to buy a quarter hide !

10. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Tandy also sells a legal size sheet of leather and tanned bellies that are only about 3.99 a sq foot

11. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Gave kydex a shot. Came out pretty good. Doing mag holsters today. Pics when I'm done. I made one for a glock and gave it to one of the owners of the range I go to. He liked it so much he gave me free guest passes. Forgot to take pics of the one tho. ;(

Attached Files:

12. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

Nice job. Looks great.

13. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Screw Tandy, get your leather from the saddle maker supply houses.

14. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

I will have to agree herman oak or wixket and craig are much better quality leather.

15. hutchinsonkw

hutchinsonkw New Member

For leather to learn with I just go to Hobby Lobby. They sell "Farmers bundles" of leather for $7 which you can use a 40% off coupon with. They usually have grey but I have found bundles of brown.

16. kewldevil1

kewldevil1 New Member

Except whenever I try to go to hobby lobby there closed. What kind of hobby stuff do they Cary just crafts or other stuff like rc and rockets

17. hutchinsonkw

hutchinsonkw New Member

I know they are a religious company so they are closed on sundays. I think they are mainly just crafts and home decorating items. I have only ever bought leather from them so I have not looked around much.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

They have all kinds of stuff. Models, rockets, RC, crafts, posters (I've seen the USC and DOI), some have Kydex and a larger assortment of leather.

It varies by location too. The best thing to do is to visit the store and check it out.

19. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I've been using the hobby lobby leather to learn on. I'm getting better every time.

ForumRunner_20121216_123648.jpg
    Left is for a Sigma and most recent, center is a Makarov then a KelTec PF9.

20. BillyHart

BillyHart New Member

Very nice. I notice you are using eco flow die from tandy . You might want to try feibings leather dye. I believe you will like it much better. Just my two cents worth...