Home made accessories

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by thdrduck, Mar 17, 2013.

1. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Any one else out there make their own black powder accessories? I have made short starters and powder measures out of deer antler, rifle cappers out of leather and wood speed loaders. How about it? Any ideas out there?

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Here is a flask I made one day. Many make powder horns.

Attached Files:

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

This should be fun. So many blackpowder folk "make" not "buy." They look at things in horn, leather, wood, etc. and say "I can do that"! Oh, and there seems to be a cheap-streak amongst history-bent individuals. You'll see...

PICS!

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Subscribed to watch the show...

5. KHickam

KHickam Member

I make my own clothes and do my own brain tanning for leather - and I trap and such and I have made some bags - haversack and shooting pouch but for the most part I get it from historical venders

6. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Been there, done that, now take a piece of antler about three inch long, drill a hole midway but not through it. Makes a great palm saver...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Thats a good idea... wonder if I could do that to the short starters and double the purpose.

8. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Certainly, great idea...yesterday iI made a powder measure from horn. If you shoot patched ball, make a small patch knife, even if you precut your patches.

9. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

The ball starters I made for the. 50 calibre ball utilize a. 38spc. case on the end. Ii really need make one for my. 45 calibre Kentucky rifle.
    These plastic cap holders can be used to hold primers. they are from children cap guns....

[​IMG]
    Here's a pic of my buddy holding my Kentucky rifle...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  10. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I made a capper by cutting a circle out of leather and punching holes around the edges for the caps then a slit from the edge to the holes. Think the kid has that in his bag now. Nice looking Kentuck, what flavor?

11. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

It,s a 1970 .45cal. Sears and Roebuck made in Japan by Miruku, the people that makes Browning firearms I believe. I bought it at a yard sale for $140.00...Great gun, good buy. had not been shot for 30 yrs. clean as a pen.. the lady selling wanted $170.00 but got her down to $140.00 but didn,t buy it. I went home and sit on the couch for about 15 min. Told wife I was going back and it was still there. I don,t believe I would sell it now, BUT maybe do some tradeing....

12. sarg1c

sarg1c New Member

Great Idea using the leather for a capper, I,ll try it. Yes, that little fellow will probably get all my guns one day. He's my greatgrand son.
    I'd like to try that Kentucky on one of these Kentucky elk some day.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015