Firearms Talk banner

Home loads at the range

4K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  Dallas53 
#1 ·
New range that just opened, checked ammo that I brought for home loads!! They only allow factory ammo on there range!! Been to several ranges and this was the first time my ammo was checked!! Is this standard range bylaws or an exception to range rules? I don't load my own ammo but didn't really care for the ammo check!!

#2 ·
There is an indoor range that is owned by the Colorado Dept of Wildlife. I can shoot for free. No reloads. I don't shoot there.

#4 ·
None of the ranges around here prohibit handloads, at least none I am aware of. This includes the indoor range (I have never shot there but I did read their rules just now).

#6 ·
IME, it's an insurance/liability issue.

Usually inside ranges are more concerned

than outside ranges.

Most places which allow black powder

don't worry about handloads too much.

Reloads are generally frowned upon, but

generally only a high-strung RSO, who's

had way too many cups of coffee,

inspects every ones bullets.

#7 ·
I have never once had anyone inspect my ammo for handloads and I am in CA. I just checked the local county-owned range and their rules say nothing about handloads. I have gone shooting there and I have used handloads exclusively with no issues. I wonder if it is something that the insurance company requires or is the range owner just paranoid? I would ask if I were you.

The indoor range I mentioned does require that you purchase ammo for their rental guns and you must use that only, but from what I understand that is typical of most rental ranges.

Here is a link to the Santa Clara County public range. This is one of the most restrictive counties in the state.

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/Play Here/Pages/Field-Sports-Park.aspx

#12 ·
Vikingdad said:
I have never once had anyone inspect my ammo for handloads and I am in CA. I just checked the local county-owned range and their rules say nothing about handloads. I have gone shooting there and I have used handloads exclusively with no issues. I wonder if it is something that the insurance company requires or is the range owner just paranoid? I would ask if I were you.

The indoor range I mentioned does require that you purchase ammo for their rental guns and you must use that only, but from what I understand that is typical of most rental ranges.

Here is a link to the Santa Clara County public range. This is one of the most restrictive counties in the state.

http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/Play%20Here/Pages/Field-Sports-Park.aspx
Thanks for the info!! I'm on the other side of the Country and range rules are likely different somewhat!! I'll do some research or not go back!! Awesome gun store though!!

#14 ·
i usually move several benches down from folks that are bragging about power levels and handloading...

im not a fan of sitting next to folks playing hot potato with grenades

#15 ·
The local indoor ranges here check all ammo that will be used on their range. They are looking for any steel core ammo that has the potential to damage the backstops. They run a magnet over pretty much all of it. As for reloads, never an issue.

FWIW, privately owned ranges can implement any rules they wish. Even stupid or intrusive ones. When they get really dumb, business will suffer & maybe they will learn.

#19 ·
its a liability issue and lots of ranges dont want the hassle of people overstuffing the cartridges or not powering them with enough powder and causing kabooms. you then have to deal with hazmat cleanup crews, ambulancs and police to scrape blood pee and poop off the walls and floor and ceiling when someone grenades their gun.

yes reloading is safe for the majority of folks but there ARE retards out there that think its ok (grandpappy george did it just fine for 7 decades...) to cram as much H110 into a 45-70 as they can to get the bullet to go "faster" when its comming out of an old rolling block rifle...

#20 ·
There are several ranges around where I live. The outdoor ranges don't care what you shoot. But 2 of the indoor ranges insist that you buy their ammo to shoot on the range. It's all FMJ ammo, to reduce lead contamination. It's a little irritating, but that's becoming more and more a requirement, thanks to the environment "protection" freaks.

#21 ·
In my area all the indoor ranges say no reloads. I only had someone look at my ammo one time though.

I love going to the Forest range. There's not usually anyone there during the week and you can do whatever you like including drawing from a holster. Something that none of the ranges allow.

#22 ·
i reload for all my guns,im sick and tired of these ranges looking to charge me more money to shoot and thats all it is.when you go to shoot you sign a waiver and thats why.so dont think its for ins or liabilty reasons,they want you to buy there ammo or they are reloading it themselves to sell to you or scrap.

#23 ·
New range near my house has banned reloads. They are claiming "liability" without any evidence to support the claim. They then claimed "insurance" but wouldn't produce any evidence. Slightly longer drive to get to two other ranges that let me shoot my reloads...

Oh, and they sell reloaded ammo :)

#24 ·
MY county owned and operated range has both indoor and outdoor pistol, no restrictions on reloads and no restrictions on working from the holster. They also sell factory ammo and about 75 varieties of targets, mostly silhouette.

Electric target carriers, so the target comes back to your booth in the indoor range. No ceasefires needed to change/paste targets.:) No restrictions on handgun caliber, except no rifle calibers allowed.

Dues aren't cheap, at $150 per year, but damn well worth it.:)

#25 ·
i reload for all my guns,im sick and tired of these ranges looking to charge me more money to shoot and thats all it is.when you go to shoot you sign a waiver and thats why.so dont think its for ins or liabilty reasons,they want you to buy there ammo or they are reloading it themselves to sell to you or scrap.
a waiver is exactly worth the paper it's written on. it does protect the person from being sued by the person who signed the waiver, but in no way stops the family of the person who signed it from being able to sue the establishment if that person is hurt or killed.

#26 ·
No problem, just check the head stamp and put your reloads in corresponding 'factory' boxes! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.