Home Defense

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Don_Mega, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Don_Mega

Don_Mega New Member

Looking for a shotgun for home defense. I've heard good things about the Mossberg 500. Do you guys have any recommendations on which shotgun would be best for home defense?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The two most common recommendations for HD shotguns are the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500.

From what I can tell... flip a coin between the two.

Myself, I have a Mossberg 930. Actually I have 4 shotguns but that's the one I'm using right now. I prefer the safety on the top rather than the Remington's safety on the trigger guard.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

If you want a bunch of "cool" accessories get a 870 or 500 if you aren't worried about that stiff syrup up to the next level and get a Winchester sxp, benelli nova, or a nice used Winchester 1300

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Mossberg is more reliable and better made. Their shotguns have the safety on top where your thumb is located. No need to locate and change hand positions in the dark for the safety like the Remington's. I recommend the Mossberg 590 Mariner 9 shot SP. It is water/salt water proof if you need to patrol your land. It also makes a great boat gun if you fish.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I got an AKKAR 300 HD for home defense, it comes with a ghost ring rear and a bead front sight with metal ears on it, comes with tac railing on the top of the reciever. holds 5+1 chambered for 3" shells made in one of the sandy arabic speaking places i don't remember which. I just bought it because it looked interesting but it works for what's it meant for. I cut the hand guard down it was too damn long for me.

But if I had the money I would buy an 870 instead a good american made shotgun with years of police and military history.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a 30 year old 870 Wingmaster that will meet or exceed any pump Mossberg ever made. The new express Remy's do not trip my trigger.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

I feel the same way....there is no comparison between the old wingmasters and the new expresses

9. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

This made me laugh..the pic that is..lol

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I wouldn't recommend the newer 870 express models but an older wingmaster would be great. I personally recommend a mossberg 500 as they're everywhere, dependable, and affordable no frills shotguns. You could also take a look at the Benelli Nova, Winchester 1200/1300/SXP or even a H&R Pardner Pump or Maverick 88. All will likely serve you just as well.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I have an old *** Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel for HD. The 28" hunting barrel is in the safe.

12. Don_Mega

Don_Mega New Member

Thanks guys! The input was great. Planning on going with the Mossberg

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. Usually it takes 2 to 3 pages before before we start bashing each other's choices. :eek: Did we just set a new record?:D

OP. Have you shot both an 870 and a 500 yet? If you have not, I would recomend you do so. I had a Maverick 88 for close to 20 years, and it worked flawlessly during that time. However, I did wind up giving it to a friend, so his son could start hunting with him after I lost the vision in my right eye. The reason I parted ways with that shotgun? Trigger guard placement, and palm swell. It fit like a glove right handed, (Even with my smaller hand size and finger length) but when I went to LH use only, I couldn't get my finger to sit right on the trigger. Or I would bump the slide release while trying to set my trigger finger in the right spot. That is the only reason that I mow use an 870 for HD.

As a side note to all the lefties out there who went with a 500 because of it's safety location. For about an $80 investment, you can change the right handed safety on an 870 to a LH one. $20 for the part, and whatever your smith charges an hour.

Please note that I am not bashing either one of the 2 shotguns mentioned. I am only bashing my own d@mn genetics, (why did I get my hand size from my mother!!!!!) and my own dumb luck. Shoot both, pick what you like, and get it if you can afford it. After all, I have an 870, my step-daughter has an 870, and my wife has a 500, and I never hear them fighting in the safe. Granted, I have been hearing strange noises from the safe in the middle of the night, and I keep finding new Mosin Nagants :eek::confused:............ But that'a something for another thread, on another day.:p Best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  14. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

I picked up this Mossy 500 riot shotgun trade in from petrol cars . and going to replace the stock and forearm it has a factory cylinder bore . and I have it loaded with 3" 00 Buckshot 6+1

[​IMG]

15. santurce787

santurce787 New Member

I prefer both rem 870 & mossberg 500 . I hv both & they wrk great .

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to get a Joe Biden Special. A $50,000 side by side double. Make sure you keep a couple of #8 bird dust to fire in the air.:rolleyes:

17. CoastieGM

CoastieGM New Member

I'm a fan of the 870 (though mine is an older one). I also used them years ago professionally...they were indestructible, even in a corrosive coastal environment.

But let me ask, why a shotgun? Why not a carbine? Shotguns (especially pump actions) are terrible for ranges you are likely to experience inside your house (slow follow-up shots, nearly zero spread across a room...may as well have a semi-auto rifle).

And although I love the 870, it's not safe to keep a round chambered in an 870...the safety merely blocks the trigger.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You did not mention the sound of a shotgun going off in a small room. You will suffer hearing damage.

19. CoastieGM

CoastieGM New Member

Eh? What did you say? Speak up.:)

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

U have it loaded with 5+1 if they are American brand 3" shells and fewer if you cheaped out.

And you have it resting under a pillow of Nathan Bedford Forrest, founder of The KKK, carrying the second Confederate National Flag which (unlike the Confederate Battle Flag idiots whine about) really did stand for the peculiar institution.

Try this OP:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2013