Home defense

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Dionysus03, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

Not sure if there is a better place to post this or not but here it goes...What is your preferred firearm type for home defense? Rifle, shotgun, or pistol?

2. dada2d

dada2d New Member

All of them! ;)

Pistol always close by.

3. dada2d

dada2d New Member

All of the above

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pistols within arms reach, and shotgun not much further away. all of them loaded and ready to go.

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Axxe55

sometimes i reverse this! :eek:

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ar15 is my preferred choice if i have the chance to grab one. i keep a 45 at hand at all times.

8. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

1911 .45 ACP, primarily because it's always with me.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I don't like or see a usefulness for long guns for personal defense of any kind, but especially in restricted space sitiations such as home. It's handguns only for me. I also live in a ranch style home, thus the longest visible distance is about 30ft, max, 10-15ft average, from room to room around corners. I could apply a flying kick just as quick as I could get an oversized shotgun up and aimed (obviously an extreme exaggeration to make a point, my flying kick is limited to about 22ft.)

Also, I'm not accepting of the theory that there's no need to aim with the wide burst pattern of a shotgun cartrige, because I believe in accurate placement, damage control and reduced liability. Plus, I'm pretty sure the average home insurance policy doesn't cover a TV I inadvertently shot because the BG was standing near it.

Just my dime.

11. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I have a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun that I go for first. A few .357's are always nearby.

12. cutter11

cutter11 New Member

Den = Winchester pump 12 ga model 1200.

Wife's nightstand = 38 special
    My nightstand = FN p45 auto dual stack.

6 ft away Browning pump 12 guage.

You can have anything in the rest of my house but don't try coming thru the bedroom door!

13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have to disagree!
    The BEST way to defend your HOME if you know there is a criminal in the house is to arm your self with a long gun and keep you and your family in ONE room while you call the police. If you are in that room and the door is closed and locked and the criminals breach that door you have a better tactical advantage with a long gun loaded with the BEST SD ammo.;)
    That said, if you are going to go and investigate something that you are suspicious of the hand gun is the proper weapon and you MUST know how to 'search and clear' as you go or you may become just another victim!!!!:eek:

14. fapprez

fapprez New Member

While I own many guns, you are guaranteed to find only one close by and loaded at all times. The same .38 I carry concealed during the day rests quietly at night on my nightstand

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I can see your point, actually. When I approach most situations I try and think of them from all angles, but having someone else to protect just isnt something I will ever consider, naturally. I have no family to protect and while I'm pretty sure my state doesn't allow for a self-defense plea when one has left their sleeping quarters, a blanket on the couch and "I fell asleep watching TV" should suffice just fine.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I each have an SR9c in the night stand. The house is alarmed and we keep the bedroom door locked. I keep a 20 gauge coach gun loaded with #3 buck nearby. I have a land line and a cell phone to call police and will wait for them. The alarm is monitored and it is posted. Basically I have made breaking into the house not very attractive. Someone would have to be very stupid or I am targeted. In any case anyone kicking in the bedroom door is going to be met with gunfire.
    At 21' the shotgun spread is only about 6" with a cylinder bore. 5" with an improved cylinder and 4" with a modified choke. I have tested this myself. They need to be aimed. Aside from getting hit with an ounce of lead some of those pellets are bound to hit something major. Dont believe what you see in the movies. You are not going to get an 18" pattern at 10'.

17. Axxe55

JTJ ,very wise plan! makes a lot of good sense. :D

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

AR and 12 guage at the ready. Glock on standby.

Long guns are prefered to me, because No matter what the terrain. I want to stop someone quick. Handguns suck at this. I want maximum trauma in minimum time. I use shotgun shell with flite control wads to ensure tight patterns that must be aimed and reduce risk of stray pellets. The AR has 50 gr softpoints in it to get good enough penetration with reduced danger of overpenetration by having an improved chance that they will fragment in the target.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Jim, I must respectfully disagree.

Do not go out and clear rooms. Let the police do that. They're paid to do it, trained to do it, equipped with the heavy weaponry to do it, and have the available back up.

Have a well thought out plan beforehand, get your family in one room, close and lock the door, call the police, and if your door is breached, fill it with a barrage of 00 buckshot.

My "House Guns" are an Ar-15 M-4 loaded with Hornady TAP, and a Benelli M-4. loaded with 12 pellet 00.

In my 20+ years as an LEO I always told folks to call us first. We'd rather have a dozen false alarms at your house than one dead citizen.

edited to correct typo. My Benelli is an M2, not an m4. (maybe it was wishful thinking0

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012