Home defense.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Missouribound, Mar 29, 2020.

1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

So what I've noticed; and this isn't directed at anyone in particular; is too many follow the latest fad etc. Form their opinions based on YouTube videos or what the FBI is doing etc. Funny when the FBI went to 10mm almost no one followed; 10mm ammo was to high or they were too cheap. Then they went to 40 S&W and everyone followed. Then they went to 9mm and again everyone followed. 40 S&Ws are now junk and can be had CHEAP as all these followers sell them to buy 9mms. The latest self professed expert endorses WMLs and 10,000 lights get sold that day. It is really comical to watch.

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The primary use of the laser in this house is to mess with the cats and dogs!!!:D

MstrMsn, oO_Rogue_Oo and Ghost1958 like this.

3. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Funny, when the panic hit, the only ammo still available, was .40 &W.
    Not much, but still a few boxes on shelves.
    When all the .380,9mm and .45 acp 38/357 was gone.
    Hell even .44 mag was cleaned out at my LGS

JTJ and Ghost1958 like this.
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I made note of that during the last panic and ammo shortage. Added a .40 to the herd with a .357 Sig barrel also. I could find those calibers on the shelves before 9mm supply was steady again.

JTJ and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was considering selling off my 40's but now am hesitant. I have G4 Glock 23 with night sights and a matching KelTec Sub2k. 4-13 round mag and 3 30 round mags plus 1000 rounds of 180 split between fmj and bonded hp. Also have a 9mm conversion barrel for the G23. I thought $1200 would not be a bad price. I have plenty of 9mm on hand. While I was looking for 40 I found 850 9mm 115 grain hp I had stashed.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  6. SSGN_Doc

Noting this trend repeating itself may have cemented a place for my .40 just as a SHTF pistol.

7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Until a person gets the chance to actually do some serious night shooting, he/she cannot fully appreciate all of the aspects involved. Any light affects your night vision which takes a while to return. You can fire quite accurately with a small amount of ambient light once your eyes have adjusted to the dark. Tritium night sights allow the shooter to acquire a good sight picture very quickly (three dots best but even a tritium bead on a shotgun are a definite advantage). Plus, because night sights are only visible to someone looking at them from the rear, your position is not given away by the weapon as is a laser or flashlight.

Muzzle flash is a consideration, but doesn't normally blind the shooter. Besides when the first shot is fired, stealth is over. If you get the chance to do some firing in the dark, do it. Some indoor ranges will allow it. Try it. Hopefully before you need to.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I fired a ported snub 38 spl + P in the dark. I was blind for what seemed a long time. I got rid of that gun. It is surprising how well a flash hider works. I have a couple of flash forwarders but have not tried them in the dark.

9. SSGN_Doc

ammo selection makes a difference. Some of the ammo specifically marketed for “short barrels” and defense, often has flash retardant in the charge, or uses faster burning powder to reduce the amount of un burnt powder.

primer1 likes this.