Home defense.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Missouribound, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I thank you for your comment.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  2. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

well, if you are paying for it.. I guess you are not talking about the moonlight. Just a reminder.. manufactured lighting can suffer power outage ( natural or unnatural).

3. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Haven't had a power outage since Katrina; that said, anyone who wants to try to navigate my house better than I can in the pitch black is welcome to try. Should be fun.

Ghost1958 and FAS1 like this.
  4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I’ve read this in a bunch of posts in this thread and I struggle trying to understand how a laser makes it more difficult to aim a handgun. Maybe someone can explain to me how this handicap works?

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

A laser can be a distraction to those who have learned to shot in a more conventional way, and it is subject to Murphy's Law, just when you need it it will not work right. What I tell those who like to use a laser is to use it as a 'training aid', but DO NOT DEPEND ON IT TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!:( Learn to shot the RIGHT WAY first, then you can play with the 'gadgets'!!!!;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Ghost1958 and JTJ like this.
  6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In answer to Wambli:

Laser shows you every single movement of the handgun. Most folks are not fully aware of how much tremor they really have. Put a laser on there and it becomes obvious.

Also, some folks still try to use their sights and laser at the same time.

Had a guy come into the range in the 1990s with a laser we just mounted to his pistol and sighted for him. He came back in to the counter from the range and said he just couldn’t hit with it, and it was hitting low.

50 ft range and we sighted it in at 25 feet. We thought maybe he pushed the target all the way back and round were hitting an inch or two below because the laser would be pointing above point of impact at that distance. He said, no, he was shooting at about 20 feet.

I went out onto the range and stacked 10 rounds on the bullseye and handed him his pistol back. Then watched him shoot. He was lining up, his sights, and then dipping the pistol as he fired, so he could see the dot as he let the trigger break. So he had been hitting about 3” low. I told him this, but he didn’t believe me.

I brought out a piece of masking tape, and covered his rear sight. Fixed his problem.

schnuffleupagus and JimRau like this.
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Good training aid, right????;)

8. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Nobody is suggesting that a badguy would navigate your home in pitch black, perhaps they have sense enough to utilize a flashlight in such a condition.

I am just talking about common sense. Perhaps you simply weigh thing differently than I do. Its a flashlight.. it don't eat or cost much. All sorts of conditions can arise from an intruder in the home. Conditions which may interrupt or stand in the way of the casual cognitive or visual perceptions inside your home and while potentially under attack.

Disruption of night vision, injury, disorientation caused by sound, flash or other forces. I could go on and on but I think you get understand the point.

Unfortunately we don't get to dictate how our fight unfolds, we are simply the respondent. It is not likely to unfold in a convenient manner or the manner we expect. We can simply try to even the odds by exploiting certain condition in our favor. Its rather hard to do that if you plan to meet the problem from the least strategic posture possible. If you want to rely on jedi skills, go ahead. I will shine a flashlight into the pitch black for many reasons.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

i am at a loss on the prevailing mentality to leave a safe haven, while armed w/ or w/o light/laser to seek out, throughout your residence, someone who is mainly interested in stealing insured items from your home.

caveat, if you are in witness protection and told the mafiosi where you were or po'd the local drug dealer/bookie/etc., by stiffing them out of the monies owed...you deserve your just rewards for being really stupid!

home invaders are just not interested in any type of confrontation unless billy bad arse carrying their AR into battle homeowner is interested making point.

personally, shooting BG home invader in the side/back as they turned to leave and wounding them or even if they pass, you the homeowner are going to be hard pressed to state you feared for your wellbeing if the invader breaks off and retreats..

yepper judicially you might, state dependent, get off from statutory prosecution but when mom/dad/gparents/brothers/sisters file suit in CIVIL court those pesky legal bills of 300$ per phone call kinda mount up...

wait for it cuz here come "well i've worked/written reports & it happens all the time" counter nonsense.

ya if your work over 10/20 years ya i bet you have participated in gaggles of home invasions...all after the fact...Monday night quarterback'g is great!

please go boost your ego hunting BGs in your home and discount they just might be better armed than you are and you, the bread winner gets pop'd and die or worse...survive as a paraplegic for your family to wait on and change your diapers and urine bag...

me i'm sitting in my safe haven and when my bedroom door opens...i now have legitimate & judicial & civil rational for fearing for my life...oh you do remember the 911 call made previously in another post which just giving addy and needing LE & medical and thats all and the phone left on nightstand w/connection still open as 911 records...

what a wonderful day...

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Like any other tool, a Laser is very useful IF you have invested the time and effort on the range to learn how to use it.

IT DOES NOT replace practice, marksmanship skills.

It took me about 1,000 rounds on the indoor range to learn it and "get the hang of it."

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The laser helped me stop the bounce dry firing my DA revolver. I probably saved the cost of the laser in ammo. It was removed for a better grip after I got the bounce controlled.

locutus likes this.
  12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not going to assume a home invader is only in my house for my TV. I have an unarmed daughter in my house, so waiting behind my bedroom door for the deputies to show up 20 minutes later is not an option.

Because of my daughter being here, an unknown person in my house could also be wanting to perform a rape or child abduction.

This doesn't make me stupid, only prepared and protective of my family.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Anybody can engineer a power outage with a baseball bat.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Or some logging chain.

Ghost1958 and Nmwabbit like this.
  15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have battery powered emergency lights that come on automatically. They are LED and plug into a wall socket. Act as night lights. If my power goes off the house lights up. That should confuse a would be burglar.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Yep and then come into my pitch dark house. Good luck to whoever that is. Like I said anyone who thinks they can navigate my pitch dark house better than I can; yeah. I'm not in the least bit worried.

17. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

I'm chilling in the TV room with a high cap 9mm within reach.
    If I'm gonna go to bed and take a nap, it'll be right beside me.
    And I'm not paranoid or amped by this covid nonsense.

Do think if bad stuff happens I'd screw up any retrieve from a safe.
    I am pretty dexterous and think clean and fast, do well.
    But I also know I aint perfect, so keep one ready to rock.

At least one :)

18. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

My kids are adults, and been around guns, have shot.
    The ol lady's son in law came over and is NOT a gun person, borderline liberal (rich kid).
    So seeing a gun out kinda made him do the Spock eyebrow thing.

He thinks his fancy house back in the woods (in center of major city) will keep him safe.

Of course last weekend a drone was flying by the upstairs after dark.
    Scouting for robbery targets? Or some perv trying for nudes?

Now he's concerned.

Not my problem.