Home defense.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Missouribound, Mar 29, 2020.

1. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

All of this is just opinion.

schnuffleupagus and Trunk Monkey like this.
  2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Not really to those of us who have actually done it for real.
    With a team weapon lights, lazers , etc are a plus. Working alone against armed intruders they are a target .
    Targets flashing right in front of your head or center mass.
    Hes armed hiding. Your hunting. He can almost hit you by sound , much less if your blinking Christmas lights on and off

oO_Rogue_Oo, BillDeShivs and Nmwabbit like this.

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

So I've waded into the alders after wounded bears. Doesn't mean that my opinion on what works best isn't just my opinion.
    Like your opinion.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well a laser is for aiming. A light is for identifying your target.

Pick the tool for the job you want to accomplish.

schnuffleupagus, locutus and JTJ like this.
  5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Again, time to wear the ninja boots and be vewy, vewy quiet... :D

JRDallas likes this.
  6. Ghost1958

Yep , for wounded bears. I've never been bear hunting.

7. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

thanks for clarifying your scenario so some can provide some real world advice...

to be candid me thinks you have developed the appropriate SD plan for your home environment situation...kudos!

the rest as they say is nothing but rhetoric nonsense!!

8. Ghost1958

If you aren't going after the intruder I would still recommend against a pistol mounted lazer. They simply are not anything like using a rifle lazer and honestly fairly useless unless you have all day to aim.
    If your absolutely sure your going to stay stationary the a weapon mounted light that can be flicked on and off instantly with one finger will work.
    Though personally I'd go free hand flashlight and night sites.

Nmwabbit likes this.
  9. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

My 2 cents...I do not like lasers on a handgun, it actually makes them harder to aim, and they are knocked out of alignment too easily. I also do not like flashlights mounted to a handgun or rifle, but that's just my preference.

edit: I have a G21 next to the bed, a 4595 and a AR15 on the main floor, and a 9mm in the basement

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're stupid enough to be hunting him, your chances are not good.

If you're behind cover waitig for him, a laser that you've mastered through practice is a bonus.

towboater and manta like this.
  11. Ghost1958

Thanks for calling me stupid chowder head.

Where you are you may have LE that will show up inside of 10 min or so and can hide to let them shoot the intruder or you .

Here they are half hour to 46 minutes min. If they come at all. Which they have been known not to do until the next day more than once.

I'm not cowering in a bedroom while intruders are either packing off anything I own then torching the place , or figuring figuring out the best way to finish off what was started in 2005, waiting for cops to come in an hour or not at all and just as likely shoot me and my wife as the intruders.

I've taken boogie men out of others homes in the past. I'll dsmn sure deal with one in my own home.

Besides where do you readily find "cover" in the average American built home. What do you consider " cover" ?
    A bed? A couch? A drywall wall? Hollow core interior door?
    There is plenty of concealment dang scarce cover . Learn the difference before you toss the word stupid at others so glibly.

You do it your way.
    I'll do it mine.

12. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

Good point about the cover, if someone is shooting at you; a bed, couch, wall, or interior door will not stop a bullet. This is not the movies;)

Nmwabbit and Ghost1958 like this.
  13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You are living in a fantasy world then. I have taken many burglary reports from victims who have been awakened by the bandit already IN THE ROOM!!! And many of the those ended, for women, as a rape report.;) The point is, you want to be able to access your PPD without allowing the bandit to know you are awake and armed.:)

schnuffleupagus and towboater like this.
  14. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

If someone is a heavy sleeper, it would be a good idea to have a dog to bark.

Oldoutlaw, towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

That is not a fail safe, but it helps.

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  16. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

of course you have...IT WAS YOUR JOB to arrive after the fact to take reports...

sorry to say there are numerous citizens in this country who don't have first clue regarding SA of their personal space, residence, ad nauseam...so it comes as a shock to learn there's BGs who surveil their victims prior to actually committing a crime, therefore - you get to fill out paperwork verses ...nope tis a kinder gentler time so i shan't go there...

tingling from the bells carefully placed on doors and windows...

17. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

With the COVID19 outbreak you can defend your home with a good hacking cough. LOL

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

WOW!!!

l didn't mean to question the vastly superior knowledge of SUPERCOP that shoots it out with the bad guys on a daily basis.

How many notches ya got on your gun, Marshall Dillon??:eek::eek:

19. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

I think if that happens, you probably failed at reasonably securing your home. In my case, yes I believe I can. I'm a side sleeper and would access my safe with my right hand. It's mounted right next to my pillow. If speed is needed it won't quite as quiet as it can be if you can slow down a little while pretending to be asleep. 2 to 3 seconds max to access.

[​IMG]

JimRau and locutus like this.
  20. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

On the gun:

I want something close at hand, not in a safe.
    I want something with adequate stopping power
    I want something with adequate capacity
    I want something I am proficient with

On gadgets/gizmo's:

I can accept someone adding night sites but I do not put lasers on my guns, that's just me. People tend to train less and achieve less when they sometimes develop a false sense of security due to lasers and other gadgets. Many do not consider that lasers can fail, break or get damaged in a fight. As far as lights go, if I need a light, I will use my handheld light. I am not against lasers outright, I am simply a proponent of honest skill and not a reliance on tech. If you can have both.. great.

On lights:

WML have their place but do not want to put my gun on absolutely everything I want to look at. I can transition to a WML ( I have one) but I would use a handheld light as my primary.

I also do not want something so bright that blinds me the moment I turn it on in the completely dark house. I have never EVER needed anything more than 55-75 lums inside a residence. I current light starts at 55 at the first click, then 150 and 300. I cannot imagine turning on a 1000+ lum light inside a dark house. That is simply ridiculous IMO.

My house gun is a 19 shot Springfield XD-m with Olight WML. The weapon rests in the top drawer of my nightstand. I have a single CR123 light clipped to the tanker holster that the weapon resides in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    towboater likes this.