Home defense.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Missouribound, Mar 29, 2020.

1. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The important thing is to use whatever works for you!

towboater, primer1 and Wambli like this.
  2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yep!!! And one last thought. My light laser combos work off a rocker switch. I have timed this and it takes me less that 1 second to activate the light/laser, light up/identufy/lineup the laser on to my target and get the first accurate shot off. If ANYONE can shoot back at me using MY light as an aiming point, specially when they are blinded!!!! they are badazz enough to deserve killing me.

locutus likes this.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Lot of tombstones over the years that grew listening to that advice.

4. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

It peoples circumstances are different. What works for me and especially what I’m comfortable with will be very different than what others are comfortable with. Many folks sleep like a baby protected by a rusty gun they’ve never fired, and die if a ripe old age never having to use it.

So what worthwhile to me might be well beyond the scope of what others find worthy of their efforts.

5. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

TLMrs recently had surgery on the thumb of her strong hand.
    Proficient pistolry is not an option at this time.
    I loaded #3 buck in my double 20ga. It's convenient.

6. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Examples and statistics please.
    Otherwise this just an example of base cotrarianism.

7. Ghost1958

No. Just fact.
    Lot of folks have been killed over the years by carrying or using a firearm in a manner that " works for them:

What works for one I'm ones own mind is likely to not work at all if the need arises.

Example would be a person carrying a 25acp because " it works for him" because he pocket carries. Then encounters a situation that requires much more than a mouse gun pocket rocket and paying for what " works for him" with his life.

Some things defense wise are simply bad ideas regardless of what a person thinks will work for him.

8. schnuffleupagus

Facts are indisputable. What you have is easily contested. While I agree that a .25 auto is substandard if it "works" for someone, it is better to carry the .25 than to go naked.

sheepdawg likes this.
  9. Ghost1958

Contest away. A weapon mounted light used by a single person clearing an average house , against an armed intruder with 1/4 brain will in all likely hood get the homeowner shot if the intruder is willing to shoot him.

That's it and that's all. A second of weapon manipulation against someone armed , drawn and hiding in wait is an eternity.

But each must do as they wish. It's a free county, sort of.

10. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

OP...first question to ask yourself...
    is the purpose of your bedside firearm for self defense or hunting?

if self defense then your primary objective is to stay in your safe place and defend yourself/partner from there...period!

hand the cell to your partner to summon assistance [hello this is xyz residence i need immediate assistance, law enforcement & medical...then leaving the line open set the phone down without another word!] while your eagle eye is watching your bedroom door!

if hunting just flat out turn on every light as you pass through as you leave your safe zone...sleeping area, as you roam into the living/dining room in towards the area broken into by and with unknown assailantS...!

why on this green flat earth would you leave a safe haven and your most cherished possession behind unprotected ?

JTJ likes this.
  11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Home.

Defense.

1- take up a defensive position
    2- ID potential threat as truly hostile, (light), and not someone stupid, pranking you, like that daughter did to to her mom and ended up, dead.
    3- engage. (Sights, laser, whatevah.)

12. Ghost1958

I believe the daughter was hit in the elbow.
    Home defense will differ alot depending on location.
    Near town or city one MIGHT be able to wait on a police response in 4 to 10 minutes depending on the intent of the intruder/intruders.
    Out in the sticks like I live LE response varies from half an hour to the next day, maybe. Holing up which might be an option in the burbs simply isnt in locations such as my home.
    Nobody has a key which means if your in my house uninvited, especially at night you broke in, your a threat. Period.

13. ramjet

ramjet Member

Nobody said there is a “one answer” solve for all of our security problems. As for the laser, more power to ya. Just train with it. And as for the light, I personally use a free flashlight. Just haven’t gotten around to a mounted one yet. Can’t see a problem with it. But also, train with it.
    As for my home defense, I will bunker down in the hallway (funnel effect) and wait for the cavalry. Light is usually on. I also have web cameras in the living room and foyer. No need to search out tangos. Just answer them if need be.

locutus likes this.
  14. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

I use a hand held flashlight and my primary home defense gun is a pistol w/night sights. I also have a few nightlights around the house. I feel I will always have the advantage in my home over an intruder and it's just the wife and myself. No kids coming in unexpectedly at 3 am.

ramjet and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you wake up and find a bandit IN YOUR BEDROOM can you get to your PPD without alerting him??????;)

Ghost1958 likes this.
  16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Ambient light levels in my house vary day to night but never is my house pitch dark. Hence no handheld or weapon mounted lights needed. I pay a extra couple dollars a month for this convenience / level of safety.

I normally would NOT recommend house clearing for the average home owner let alone seasoned professional but there are situations where it may be the only option.

My house (modest as it is) is set up in such a way that I have several points of excellent cover; notice I said cover not concealment, although the cover does provide some concealment. This cover allows me to press my position gradually in stages and assess. I have good fields of fire from those positions of cover. Each is a doorway with a junction of 3 walls. Someday I will upgrade the doors to solid core to give me 4 layers of protection but for now it is what it is. I use the layout of the house to it's best advantage.

My weapon of choice for home defense is currently a 12 ga although when the right 20 ga comes along I may switch.

I feel like I could defend the bedroom end of my house from a superior force for a reasonable period of time; barring the use of flash bangs, teargas etc. That is a whole other matter I won't get into here.

Nmwabbit and Ghost1958 like this.
  17. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

sorry jim, et al., finding someone in my bedroom w/o my knowledge...it won't matter cuz it means i passed sometime during the night!

upload_2020-3-31_16-2-56.jpeg
    shame you haven't hung at least two bells on outside doors & windows with ribbon as well as keep your bedroom door closed with...yep you guessed ...two bells on the inside of the bedroom door...

cheep...5$ 8/bag and it sure saves on paying for alarm services...or even feeding a big BG eating doggy.

i bet everyone leaves their porch light on all night believing the myth it scares/keeps BGs away...

no i'll have ample time to hunker in my safe spot in the bedroom with pistola in hand...

18. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I guess you could always just skulk around your dark house wearing your special ninja boots and use your superior Zen skill to get an accurate shot off in the dark... :D

locutus and JRDallas like this.
  19. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Well...the more answers I get the more confused I am.
    But I can address some of the statements.
    No, I'm not going to hunt if an intruder enters. I will hunker down, make the 911 call and arm myself and my wife. If the SHTF I will let them come to me. Our room is at the end of the hall so there is a 3.5' corridor that anyone would have to come down to get to us.
    I'm not preparing for a shootout, just inquiring what methods and equipment is preferred and/or used for keeping the homestead safe in the dead of the night.
    As far as the gun sitting in my drawer rusting.....not really what the situation is.
    Right now my carry gun is my night stand gun. I have the opportunity to shoot on my land so I can make the time to use my firearms. No trip to the range necessary.
    I am not paranoid, threatened or worried. But as a husband and homeowner I just want the most information I can get to protect what I cherish.

TelstaR, locutus, towboater and 2 others like this.
  20. schnuffleupagus

Without data and statistics, thats just opinion.

locutus and JRDallas like this.