Home defense.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Missouribound, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I keep a Bodyguard 380 in my nightstand. I like the idea of a laser on a home defense weapon. To be fair, my pistol safe is about 8 feet from the nightstand so I have access to a few other handguns....and a shotgun.
    But my question is this. In a home defense weapon, would you prefer a laser sight or a flashlight mounted on the weapon?
    I am thinking about putting a 9mm in my nightstand instead of my Bodyguard and want to add an accessory to it and use it as my "go-to" nightstand gun.
    What would you add, what do your use and what do you recommend?
    I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. I just wonder what the preference is.
    As far as seeing when there is a bump in a night, I do have voice control over most of my lighting. I can turn on the lights with a few commands. That kind of pushes me in the laser direction.......but anyway?

2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Why even put a light on a weapon? All's it does is tell the bad guy where you are. If you have your lights hooked up to a clapper just clap, surprise bad guy. He didn't see you coming down the hallway with that laser on.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been thinking of a high intensity remote controlled wall or ceiling mounted light focused on the doorway. Battery powered or backup so if the power goes off it still works.

primer1 likes this.
  4. rock185

rock185 Active Member

Having searched darkened areas for bad guys many times, I would prefer a weapon mounted light....ymmv

ramjet, SRK97 and bluez like this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe in a place that's unfamiliar but in your home it's asking for a bad outcome.

Ghost1958 and winds-of-change like this.
  6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

All my Home defense guns have lights on them a few have light laser combinations.

SRK97 likes this.
  7. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I appreciate all of the responses. Fortunately they give me the opportunity to make a decision based on everyone else's option and practices.
    I will opt for the laser. I already keep a flashlight next to the pistol in my nightstand.
    I don't plan on chasing anyone with a flashlight....just finding my way in the dark.
    I think the laser is the way to go. But I have a few guns so I may put a few other options in place. Hopefully my comment won't end this thread as I find it interesting and I am sure many others will as well.

8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Night sights and a flashlight in hand are head and shoulders above a lazer.

I done my share of hunting down bogies in darkened areas.
    If your working with a team then frugal use of weapon mounted lights on rifles is a good thing.

Working alone if the person your searching for is willing to kill you and you have a weapon mounted light or lazer., your likely dead.

Do yourself a favor. Try shooting a pistol using a lazer before wasting money on one.

robhic likes this.
  9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A weapon mounted light can allow you to free up your hands to use your phone.

SRK97 likes this.
  10. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

If one is put in a position one needs to actively be using a light and weapon, the time for phone use has long past until the situation is handled.

MstrMsn and MisterMcCool like this.
  11. leadcounsel

leadcounsel Active Member

I'd opt for the more reliable and accurate of the two.

Assuming equal, I'd go for a larger caliber and a light. Do you really need a laser to point-shoot at 10 feet or less?

9mm > .380 all day long with the right ammo.

No brainer.

12. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

I learned using a flashlight in the weak hand. Still prefer that to a gun mounted light. The idea of muzzle-sweeping everybody and everything with a mounted light isn't safe. MHO you understand, YMMV.

13. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

I have a very high intensity (2000 lumens) flashlight next to my pistol. In a dark room the beam is enough to temporarily blind anyone looking toward it.

14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

One old trick is to hold the pistol in one had (in-house short range accuracy requirements arent high) and the flashlight in the other hand on an outstretched arm.
    This is old-old school and I never had to put it in practice just a thought..

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a laser on my SIG P320.

I have a stand alone flashlight with strobe on the nightstand.

16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

IMG_1696.jpeg One of the guys that trained me, and my mentor for years, (his resume would make your head spin) put it best. He said "I'd rather suck start my pistol than juggle a separate flashlight and gun.". After training with several guys that actually been there, done that and have worn out a LOT of T-shirts I agree. And all of them carry light AND lasers on their guns, because this is not 1995...

When I need my gun FAST in the dark I want EVERYTHING to be in one neat package. I also don't see why there has to be a decision between laser and light when you can get BOTH. Home defense weapons don't need to be cuddly tiny carry pieces. They are supposed to give you EVERY advantage in the world when you need to act NOW. I don't want t go looking for light switches and I don't want to be trying to get into classic shooting positions if I'm trying to cover ground in my house or property.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  17. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Yep, that is REALLY old school...

towboater likes this.
  18. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Here's a quick tip. You can blind ANYONE with as little as 65 lumens from a quality light.

TelstaR, locutus and JTJ like this.
  19. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

.....and BTW you don't need your hands to use a phone because again, this is not 1995. One of the coolest things technology has given us is speech recognition. My iPhone gets charged next to my head on my nightstand, my wife's is on HER night and too. If I wake up to a bump in the night I can just say "Siri call 911" and BOTH damn phones will do the rest for me. Even if I just walk away after I do that the police will be sent to investigate right NOW.

MisterMcCool and JTJ like this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are only my wife and I in our house. If someone kicks in the front door we will be waiting in the bedroom. There is nothing out there worth risking our lives for. That is why I want a high intensity wall or ceiling mounted light focused on the bedroom doorway. My long guns all have mounted lights. You need both hands for a long gun.
    I found a laser was great for getting trigger control. Anything you are doing wrong will show up immediately in dry fire. Do not depend on anything electronic. Batteries go dead and parts fail usually when you need it most. That is the reason for back up sights and co-witnessing.
    My Glocks have night sights.

Wambli likes this.