Home defense thoughts

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Green Lantern, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Seemed like the right place to post this, so it is.

Home defense to me is training for a day we hope we never come.

Some of my thoughts and looking for your guys thoughts and training you guys have.

Gun lights : To me a mounting point may make a difference. First one I mounted was on a top rail with a 45 degree mount. It lit up the front sight, which seems like a great idea. What about other mounting places?
    Lasers : Is this as important as a light? In the dark, a laser is such a small part of the target area, can you find the target for sure? Is it your intended target, for sure? Not enough lighting could lead to a wrong hit.

What are others thoughts and training on this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You're planning on using a rifle for home defense?

TelstaR and OLD Ron like this.

3. Green Lantern

Another good question. Maybe hi-point 4595TS 45acp
    And what about a shotgun?

Maineiak, towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Depending on where you live a rifle is fine for home defense.
    A short barrel shotgun with 00buck is even better.

A pistol or revolver are fine too. Just takes a bit more low light practice.

On a long gun, IF you have it set up so you can easily and quickly turn it on and off, a mounted light is fine.
    Moving around ,or even being still with it on all the time will get you killed if the invader is armed. You don't have a swat team covering you.

Personally I wont mount a light of any kind on a hand gun. Or a lazer. JMO

OLD Ron, towboater and sheepdawg like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

When you mount a light to a long gun make sure it is not in your line of vision.

Ghost1958 and Green Lantern like this.
  6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

You know your home better than a bad guy would. A light would give away your location. If the bad guy is armed. The light gives him a target. I think a light is a bad idea. Same with a laser.

7. JTJ

A weapon light might have prevented a woman from shooting her daughter.

8. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Yes there is always the exception to the rule.

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

First defense have security to keep intruders out of your house, or at least make it difficult to give yourself time to react.

TelstaR, Wambli and Trunk Monkey like this.
  10. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Remember the old military hint, " A laser works both ways". And so will a light.

Sierra 173, RJF22553, kfox75 and 4 others like this.
  11. Ghost1958

A little common sense like a call from the daughter letting mom know she was coming home unexpectedly would definitely have prevented the mom from shooting her.

RJF22553, locutus and towboater like this.
  12. JTJ

But it was supposed to be a surprise! It definitely was a surprise.

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  13. Green Lantern

Always true in gun safety, if you can't be sure of the intended target, don't shoot.

manta and Nod like this.
  14. Ghost1958

My kids know not to " surprise" me.

Nobody has any business in my home without my knowledge. There is the wife and me. That's all

Anyone in my home, not invited in, especially at night, is a threat. Doesn't matter if I know them or I dont know them.
    The fact they are likely going to be shot is something they should have thought about before entering my home.
    What happens to them after they have is on them alone.

austin92 and towboater like this.
  15. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

If you use Hydra-shoks , the muzzle flash will illuminate your signs just fine , so your second shot will be accurate .
    A light or a laser---Hold on a minute---I haven't owned either so why am I giving advice ?

Trunk Monkey and Ghost1958 like this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

1. Defense in depth. Ours starts WAY out at the road. If you are in our drive, I will know it. In my yard, lights come on.
    2. Light is for target identification. There is a high intensity CREE LED flashlight on the bedside table, a revolver close at hand. There are other lights with a pressure switch on the shotgun and the AR. Mounted under, they silhouette the front sights just fine.
    3. Don't be stupid. We live out in the country. If you come to my door and I don't know you, unless there is a FedEx truck or a marked police car parked out front, I am NOT going to open the metal storm door. We can talk just fine. I can see you better than you can see me. No screen- metal panel with a million little holes. You got troubles, glad to call someone for you. We can start with 911.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

As would a flashlight. Or the daughter giving her mother a heads up, the mother waiting to find out who it was, and their intent, the mother not living in a place where she felt threats could be an issue, ad nauseum.

Not pointing you out JTJ, bit I do wish people weren't taking the partial (As no one has the full one) story, except her, her mother, and maybe LE, and trying to make it seem like just one thing would have prevented it.

On a long gun. a light, under the barrel, and far enough back to not crud up, or become damaged by muzzle flash, (saw someone destroy a mini mag light, after mounting it too far forward on the extended mag brace, too close to the muzzle of his 870 once) is a good idea, as you may need to use you off hand to dial 911. However, for target ID, do you really want to be pointing a firearm at an unknown, potential friendly, while you are trying to ID them? Something to consider.

Lasers, mainly great for shooting from non-traditional postures, but, like a scope, it will only be POA and POI, at one distance. That also applies to shorter distances than your zero point, not just longer. Generally, if it's centered in the beam of a light at HD distances, that's roughly where you will hit. Thus negating need of a laser. The ones on my Glock and M9 are for laser leagues, not HD or SD. I train with my sights, with the exception of such leagues.

18. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert Active Member

Error

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  19. JTJ

Kfox, that is why I used the word "might". Nothing is a certainty and there were many more possibilities. My long guns have lights because they take 2 hands. My hand guns do not. I keep a flashlight next to it in the nightstand. My flashlights are set on wide beam so I dont have to point directly at someone to identify them but the odds of someone I know entering the house unannounced are slim. I can narrow them to a small square and use them as an aiming aid if need be. The shotguns have them mounted directly below the barrel behind the muzzle and if the small square is on an intruder you will not miss. The firearm can be operated without the light being on. It is optional but it is nice to have options.

kfox75 likes this.
  20. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

This is such an in depth topic that it's hard to know where to start. First of all I agree with Manta and (in theory) with c3shooter. Home defense begins hardening the perimeter not with what gun/weapon light combination you have. If I have to use a gun for home defense there have already been MULTIPLE failures of my security measures.

The reason I said I agree in theory with c3shooter is because I live in an apartment not my own home and there's really nothing I'm allowed to do outside my front door but what I can do I've done.

It started before we moved in. We looked for a second floor apartment with no balcony. Before I married my wife I lived in a third floor apartment with a balcony. I never bothered locking my slider because third floor, until the day I locked my keys in my apartment and my neighbor offered to climb up the side of the building and go in through the slider to open the apartment. It took him less than a minute.
    I don't have a choice of what kind of front door I have. It might be steel core because of fire codes but I don't know. I did put longer screws in the jam and a wide angle peephole and we got a security bar for our door that physically prevents the door from being opened. We saw a guy defeat one once and he literally had to kick the door off the hinges to do it.

As I said I live in an apartment and, with the exception of the security bar, most of these measures don't apply to most of you but I listed them as examples of things to think about before thinking about what kind if gun. Although I do want to say that security bar was the best 30 bucks I ever spent on home security. They're available at ACE Hardware and I highly recommend them.

Once I leave my bedroom my home is one big L-shaped room. I can actually see most of it from the cover of my bedroom door jamb. I'm still not going to clear it because there is nothing out here worth getting into a gun fight over. Having said that, there are a couple of small lights in our apartment that we never turn off. There are a couple of reasons for that, first because you can't look at our windows and tell for sure if we're home or not or asleep or not. Second because those lights cast enough glow that I don't need a weapon light to identify an intruder in my home.

Side note: don't ever think people aren't paying attention because they are. The manager of our complex was talking to my wife about some maintenance issue in our building. I think painting because it had to do with the smell in the building. She asked my wife if the smell was really bad and before my wife could even answer said "Nevermind you guys never close your windows anyway." That's true, it's 27 degrees here now and my window is open but the main point is she was watching.

Finally, home invasions are becoming a thing in Colorado Springs and every time they report one on the news they say either the intruder either walked right through an unlocked door or the home owner opened the door for someone they didn't know. unless I'm using it, my front door is never unlocked and unless we know who's on the other side we never open it.

If you do all of the above the chance of you ever needing a WML falls to almost nil.

Mister Dave likes this.