Home Defense shotgun ammo suggestions

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by wiliardo123, Mar 5, 2012.

1. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Hello.

Just want to get the experts insights.

What would be the best sequence of rounds to be loaded in a 12 gauge shotguns from home defense prospective.
    I heard that some people may have buck 00 shots topped with couple of turkey shots but I'm not really clear on that.

Also anyone knows about the taser X12 shells if they are legal to buy in California of any other state.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

"00" is fine if your not worried about over penetration.

I use #6 2 3/4" for home defense with a shotgun though, but that's just me.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I really don't want to think about the rounds I am shooting. I know there are some uber-thinkers that go 3 of this, then 3 of that, then 2 more of something else. And then 5 of something even better on the side saddle.

For me, I just choose the best round for me (2-3/4" 00-buck Federal, Remington, whatever) and leave it at that. Every round in the tube, every round on the side saddle, they're all the same. I have other stuff in the safe, but I'm not messing with mixing it up in my magazine.

YMMV

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

#4 bird shot. DA's hate common shot loads. :eek:

5. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Well
    I'm a bit worried about over penetration so an eight or nine pellets inside the shell shall work.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

So use a light load. #6 birdshot or # 4 birdshot. Will kill thhe man you shoot but won't go past the dry wall behind him.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the average room size is probably going to be less than 30 feet, so in that short a distance, #4 or #6 birdshot will either kill or most assuredly take the fight out of the BG! my SD rounds in my shotgun are #4 birdshot. why do more damage to your home than you have to. BTW, if the BG gets shot in your home, your the one who will have to clean up the mess!

8. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

That's when you break down and hire a cleaning service... :D

9. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

7 1/2 and up are all great home defense rounds. Because at 20 to about 60 feet you are shooting the wads to and that will be just like a slug hitting the BG. And you won't have to worry about over penetration.

10. Axxe55

my way of thinking is, if i'm cleaning up the BG's mess, it's a good day!

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yeah, so celebrate you're still around and hire that cleaning service. :D

12. Axxe55

blood doesn't bother me, as long as it's not mine!

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Universal Mall Ninja brand will come out soon and be anything you imagine. In the meantime, get the right sized buckshot and put it in your gun...

#00 Buck is, IMO, almost ALWAYS too big (unless in a 3" Mag shell for 51+ meter blasts). Most experts buy what's in Walmart Value Packs during hunting season and then tell you it's the best. LEO's will tell you whatever they were told after High School.

Reality. #0 and #1 Buck are best. You? Sounds like #4 Buck is what u want. There are smaller pellet "HD" rounds for a fortune. NEVER go less than #2 shot (.15 caliber; Remington still makes 'em in an Express shell) and only if you're expecting to keep to within about 15 yards.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  14. safedman

safedman New Member

Buy some old watermelons or pumpkins. Take a trip to the range and shoot each with a different round,
    Birdshot 2 3/4 then 3 inch mag #4,5,6,7 etc. all effective at close range or up to 10 yards.
    OO buck, 2 3/4 and 3"
    Turkey loads, 2 3/4 and 3"

You will find the answer. Inner cities with apartments, wall penetration is the issue you deal with. Rat shot in Magnum caliber handgun ammo works well for home defense also.

15. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

I'm going to open a BG cleaning service.

Lots of BG's in the area.

16. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I'm no hd expert but my hd round would be my turkey rounds threw my turkey choke. All the pellets at 7-10 yards should hit the target, and if they go threw the bg should be minimal damage to the walls.

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

12ga. 2 & 3/4 in. max-load #4 shot.....................

18. yamaharyder369

yamaharyder369 New Member

Well if the 9 and 40 I sleep with won't do then resort to the 870 with Remington hyper-sonic steel bb goose loads!