Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
To the people saying "never let them in without a warrant." What are you hiding? Simply letting an officer step inside your home is not giving him permission to search it. It's simply being polite and allowing someone to step inside your door. Unless there is something illegal sitting in plain view you have no worries. He cannot simply start going through your house and searching without a warrant, consent, or an exigent circumstance (pretty fine lines on this).
I don't let any uninvited stranger into my house, LEO or not.

Is he even a real LEO, or one dressed as one?

Even if he's an LEO, does he have an ulterior motive?

If he's insisting he needs to come in, then he's doing it with a warrant. If he needs to talk to me or a member of my family, it will be with an attorney present.

Local guy had his grandson living with him. Grandson was a really popular guy. Police figured out the kid was dealing pot out of the house, police came in under false pretenses and found the dope. Grandpa lost his house. Grandpa didn't believe he had anything to hide, and was being a nice guy.

I do not consent to a search.

I'd never ever yell anything at a threat, why announce your position? Last thing any invader would see is the muzzle flash from a VZ58, M16A1 or G20 - whatever is handy and appropriate at the moment, I keep them all hot

Sent from my iPhone, sorry for typos...

Each event must be evaluated on the basis of all available information at the time. Following a fixed procedure or a checklist may get you killed or arrested.

Big Jim has it right with two dogs. If one should miss the bump in the night the other sure won't. And one will always get the other one going....for the smallest reason.

This is assuming its an actual home invasion. I've always got a handgun on me when I'm awake and one within reach if I'm not.

Step one grab the ak47 we keep in a undisclosed location as a pistol is not as good as a rifle. Step two grab the cell phone. Step three retreat to bedroom door which is a defensible location in our house and covers all entrences. Step four call 911.

I'm under no obligation to warn an intruder they are about to enter a firing lane. They didn't call ahead to announce coming over to kill me and the wife why I should be courteous to them??

This is assuming its an actual home invasion. I've always got a handgun on me when I'm awake and one within reach if I'm not.

Step one grab the ak47 we keep in a undisclosed location as a pistol is not as good as a rifle. Step two grab the cell phone. Step three retreat to bedroom door which is a defensible location in our house and covers all entrences. Step four call 911.

I'm under no obligation to warn an intruder they are about to enter a firing lane. They didn't call ahead to announce coming over to kill me and the wife why I should be courteous to them??
well said Jon.

besides, most people comig over for coffee and cookies will call first!:p

Personally, I would take the time I had while the door was being breached to arm myself with as much firepower I could and find cover and see what transpires from there. :) I would not say a word until the situation presented its self where it was safe to do so.
I don't mean to be redundant, but the above is about all you should do in this situation if you wish to survive guys and gals!;)

I don't mean to be redundant, but the above is about all you should do in this situation if you wish to survive guys and gals!;)
sorry but i have to disagree. every situation is different as are the dynamics of that situation when it occurs. house layouts are different. number of occupants in the home will be different. the age and abilities of those occupants will be different.

there are no one set of rules that can apply here.

sorry but i have to disagree. every situation is different as are the dynamics of that situation when it occurs. house layouts are different. number of occupants in the home will be different. the age and abilities of those occupants will be different.

there are no one set of rules that can apply here.
Exactly right, every situation is different so if you want to survive it do as I recommend.
1: Arm your self with as much firepower as you can in the time you have.
2. Get to as much cover as you can.
3. Assess the situation from this position of cover and don't commit yourself, verbally or physically until you have as much intell as you can get and then only if you MUST.:cool:
These, my friend, are BASICS which apply across the board!:)

Discussion starter · #52 ·
Truth my wife knows if sonething were to happen to go to the back bathroom with our children and get on the phone with 911. As my children grow they will also be taught what their role in these scenarios are as well(won't be much until they're older and have better understanding of what could transpire.) I believe every household needs a fire escape plan as well as a home invasion plan that needs to be cemented into every members memory

I always have my pistol within reach of me when at home. Was watching cops earlier and had an interesting scenario come up. You are sitting around the house when all the sudden the door is being beat on and threatened to be kicked in. Do you:
A.) Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that you are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home
B.) Yell to warn them that you have called the police but not tell them of you being armed.

I ask this question because i want as little people possible knowing that i am armed(live in a crappy area, none of their business since they could be the bad guy) don't want the chance of the person evading police and coming back later nore prepared because they know my level of preparation. So my own answer is B. Yes i will tell you that i have called the police, but the only warning of my gun you will get is the muzzle flash when you make it in my home and i end the threat.
Option C (why is option C never listed!?) involves waiting at the side of the door for the worthless louts to ruin a perfectly good door, doing what you have to do if/when they manage to bust down the door, and then worrying about calling the police.

The police aren't going to save you. They rarely, if ever, respond in time to do anything but sort out the trash.

Anyone who attempts to break into my home will find out what's waiting for them after they attempt it. Whether they come back for more or not is irrelevant, but being alive at the end of the day is. Worry about things that need to be worried about (like having enough BBQ for the whole family, spending enough time with your children, and your relationship with your wife or girlfriend).

Do people really worry about this kinda thing?

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, why on earth would you ever let anyone who could potentially hurt you know exactly where you are by yelling out to them?

What difference would that make to a criminal or someone high on drugs, anyway?

You only get to surprise the invader once, so you might want to make that one time count for something.

If someone is trying to get in my house I will not be yelling. For the record they will not hear the noise of a pump gun being loaded either. I keeps it hot.

I will give a shout, if there is time. If there is time, it will be recorded on the 911 call. That's two big ifs that will probably won't happen anyway.

My reasoning? I don't want to shoot anyone, no matter how worthless of an example to the human race they may be. If they will turn and run at my shouting, so be it. If they don't, the front sight will already be at center mass ready to pull the trigger. I don't have the money to fight a court case when the douchebags family tries to sue me. I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but lawsuits are a likely scenario.

Besides, my carpet by the front door is reasonably new, and the money to replace it could buy a nice new gun. :)

Well if the BG wanted a fair fight he should have challenged me down to the local gym, since he broke into my house were my wife and daughters dwell he's subject to house rules. House rules are my family will stop the threat ASAP.

Never enough guns or ammo

Option c is in the works but option a and b are really applicable anywhere. The world is a dangerous place no matter where you live.
I agree, the world is a very dangerous place. SO we need to look out for ourselves, cause cops are just too heavy!!

who has time to make a phone call? my thought process would be:

a) safety off. check
b) find a defensive position. check
c) tell them you "already gave at the office" and if they choose not to listen
d) aim at center mass when they enter

you don't need a 911 recording the forensics will play out in your favor when the cops arrive, post-mortem as it were
I think a 911 call is still a priority (obviously the gun and defense first) because it is another thing that you have on your side. Also calling 911 tells the jury that you weren't just going to kill him for the fun of it, you legitimately defended your life and called the police (thus they send an ambulance out). No that I am saying the bad guy has the right to live after what he did, but ya know that is modern day America!

I agree, the world is a very dangerous place. SO we need to look out for ourselves, cause cops are just too heavy!!

I think a 911 call is still a priority (obviously the gun and defense first) because it is another thing that you have on your side. Also calling 911 tells the jury that you weren't just going to kill him for the fun of it, you legitimately defended your life and called the police (thus they send an ambulance out). No that I am saying the bad guy has the right to live after what he did, but ya know that is modern day America!
calling 911 is a good option, if it's possible to do, but still needs to be done afterwards, to get help on the way ASAP. even if you don't fire your gun in SD and the BG runs away at the mere sight of it, i still think a police report of the incident is a good idea. just because, he may try again on someone who isn't armed and with a police report, they are now keeping an eye out for him.

I have to respectfully disagree, if the BGs can

hear you calling 911, they may panic, bag it,

and run. Then, in later break-ins, where perhaps

you get called on excessive force, you have a documented

history of allowing the BG to depart voluntarily, before

force was needed...

I have to respectfully disagree, if the BGs can

hear you calling 911, they may panic, bag it,

and run. Then, in later break-ins, where perhaps

you get called on excessive force, you have a documented

history of allowing the BG to depart voluntarily, before

force was needed...
Only if you live a jurisdiction that don't believe in self-defense!!!:(
I have learned from personal experience, and from the mistakes made by others that if you hesitate you die!!! :eek:

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.