Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts
All the Options

I always have my pistol within reach of me when at home. Was watching cops earlier and had an interesting scenario come up. You are sitting around the house when all the sudden the door is being beat on and threatened to be kicked in. Do you:
A.) Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that you are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home
B.) Yell to warn them that you have called the police but not tell them of you being armed.

I ask this question because i want as little people possible knowing that i am armed(live in a crappy area, none of their business since they could be the bad guy) don't want the chance of the person evading police and coming back later nore prepared because they know my level of preparation. So my own answer is B. Yes i will tell you that i have called the police, but the only warning of my gun you will get is the muzzle flash when you make it in my home and i end the threat.
The very first thing to be done, before a home invasion, is to check out the laws covering your situation. They may very well dictate which option you choose. In some states, you must challenge the Dirt Bags (DB's) before you are allowed to shoot, retreat if possible (safely) and state you are armed. In other states various "castle doctrine" laws and/or "stand your ground" laws dictate what must be done. That said, don't let anything supersede your chance at survival. You are the one who has to make the decisions in whichever scenario you may find yourself and the reality will always be different than what you may have thought about and for which you have planned.

The very first thing to be done, before a home invasion, is to check out the laws covering your situation. They may very well dictate which option you choose. In some states, you must challenge the Dirt Bags (DB's) before you are allowed to shoot, retreat if possible (safely) and state you are armed. In other states various "castle doctrine" laws and/or "stand your ground" laws dictate what must be done. That said, don't let anything supersede your chance at survival. You are the one who has to make the decisions in whichever scenario you may find yourself and the reality will always be different than what you may have thought about and for which you have planned.
"When the final showdown comes to pass a law book is not good"!;)
Nuf said!:)

My humble decision on this:
1. I have a gun (or 2) on me all the time, except in the shower.
2. Look out to see who/what is at the door.
If it is LE for some unknown reason, let them in.
3. If not LE, call 911, and stay on the line, holding the phone in my weak hand..
4. %. Draw my gun and wait, in a place/position where the perp(s) won't see me if they get inside.
5. If they do get in, fire a "warning" shot through each perp's chest.
6. Wait for the police.
7. When the police arrive, put on a big show of trying to revive the perp.

I would remind them that they are breaking the law, which will surely cause them to go find a job to support their drug habit.

If they continue kicking, I would calmly walk to the door and pull the string that hangs above it. This will dump the three hungry feral cats onto their heads. No need to waste that hard to find ammo.

I would wonder how they made it thru the tripwires, and since he has has not eaten them alive (yet) if the PuppyBeast is feeling OK. Those religious tracts I found him chewing on may have upset his stomach.

Translation- your door should not be your first point of warning, and your last point of deterrence to entry. You need DEPTH.

Deploy your firearm and take cover with family laying down. Then if you have time call police and yell for them to leave. Be a dang on shame while your fiddling around trying to call police the BG burst straight in and takes you out.

Never enough guns or ammo

I would wonder how they made it thru the tripwires, and since he has has not eaten them alive (yet) if the PuppyBeast is feeling OK. Those religious tracts I found him chewing on may have upset his stomach.

Translation- your door should not be your first point of warning, and your last point of deterrence to entry. You need DEPTH.

I totally agree with this statement, however some people live in apartments, town houses, trailer courts, or where ever. Or maybe rent and their landlord doesn't allow pets. I know, I been there. Everyone has not acquired their own property yet so a door may be all that's available at the time. While a house with cujo patrolling, tripwire, and security system is ideal it's just not the immediate answer to everyone's needs right now. At the very least I suggest living somewhere with good, strong doors with dead bolt locks. This makes me think of my buddies parents who live in Sandusky oh about 6 mins away from cedar point. One evening they were eating dinner while watching tv and a guy cuts the screen of the front window and tries to reach and steal the tv. Wow!!! Luckily no one was hurt and luckily for the BG he wasn't shot although he got to look down the barrel of a 357 mag, "say cheese" lol

Never enough guns or ammo

I'm in the planning stages of building a underground home/bunker similar to the picture. Going to have a single known entrance going down a narrow hallway, lets call the killing zone, with a steel entry door that opens outward. This should make this scenario mute.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attachments

If there is time, you should absolutely call 911. A flimsy door or someone with experience can boot your door open in one kick. I've kicked a few doors in my days, and very few took more than one try, even from a smaller guy like me. But...if you hear someone trying to gain entry to your home and they are not announcing themselves as law enforcement (LE) then arm yourself in a position of cover and call 911. Maybe the authorities will arrive before they make it in. And even if they don't...at least the records will show you tried everything before shooting someone.

To the people saying "never let them in without a warrant." What are you hiding? Simply letting an officer step inside your home is not giving him permission to search it. It's simply being polite and allowing someone to step inside your door. Unless there is something illegal sitting in plain view you have no worries. He cannot simply start going through your house and searching without a warrant, consent, or an exigent circumstance (pretty fine lines on this). Believe it or not there are a lot f good officers out there. I've been invited into more homes than I can count, probably hundreds. Two of those had drug paraphernalia sitting out in plain view. One ended up yielding four felony arrests. I was simply there to inquire about a dog roaming loose someone called on. Point is this...if you have nothing to hide there is no reason to be paranoid of letting someone step 5 feet inside your home.

Anyway...always be prepared to defend your home and family. But make sure you're legal in doing so and don't come off as someone itching to kill someone. Because remember this...a criminal case requires you to be proven guilty being reasonable doubt. A civil case, IE wrongful death, requires only a preponderance of evidence and can bankrupt you. Make sure yore covered before you start spraying lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Crazy power hunger cops

Yes...most of us are crazy and power hungry, you caught us. I know that's how I conduct myself on duty. Constitution and civil rights be damned...heaven forbid some of us are normal people who treat citizens with respect and dignity...and even worse, we ask for a little of the same in return.

Yes...most of us are crazy and power hungry, you caught us. I know that's how I conduct myself on duty. Constitution and civil rights be damned...heaven forbid some of us are normal people who treat citizens with respect and dignity...and even worse, we ask for a little of the same in return.

Speaking for myself, its not the "most of em" I'm worried about, its the few bad apples that are looking for any excuse to exercise their authority. Many people have a bad cop story to tell, which shouldnt happen. Myself, I will usually let an officer in, but its always a judgment call.

i'm going to put alligators in my moat! no need to stone-wall them then!
It's cheaper to feed the dogs than the crocks unless you give them a BG every now and them. (LOL)

Chloeshooter, is that your summer place?, I see no canon mounted on the ramparts?

The big dog is layed back and has the "You want me to do what?" look on his face all the time. The only time he gets riled is when the teacup terrier barks up a storm at any little noise at the front door.
Tell me about it. (LOL)

Jim

Speaking for myself, its not the "most of em" I'm worried about, its the few bad apples that are looking for any excuse to exercise their authority. Many people have a bad cop story to tell, which shouldnt happen. Myself, I will usually let an officer in, but its always a judgment call.
Exactly what I'm talking about, only takes one. We have a few on the sheriffs dept here with god almighty attitude. Had a run in like this several years ago over one bad apple looking for my teen age son who had been out being stupid and had gotten away from him and he had come to the house late at nite beating on my door convicted my son was there, which he was not. I've never been talked to or disrespected like that before. I learned my lesson, won't be opening my door and cooperating again if I didn't call the police. Which at 49 I have never done.

I always have my pistol within reach of me when at home. Was watching cops earlier and had an interesting scenario come up. You are sitting around the house when all the sudden the door is being beat on and threatened to be kicked in. Do you:
A.) Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that you are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home
B.) Yell to warn them that you have called the police but not tell them of you being armed.

I ask this question because i want as little people possible knowing that i am armed(live in a crappy area, none of their business since they could be the bad guy) don't want the chance of the person evading police and coming back later nore prepared because they know my level of preparation. So my own answer is B. Yes i will tell you that i have called the police, but the only warning of my gun you will get is the muzzle flash when you make it in my home and i end the threat.
Never give up the element of surprise. Do not tell them you are armed. If the threat of arrest doesn't scare them off you might end up defending yourself with deadly force. Do you want them to change tactics to deal with your firearm or do you want them to use Plan A expecting to easily overpower you?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.