Home defense scenario!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by czfreak, Mar 9, 2014.

1. czfreak

czfreak New Member

I always have my pistol within reach of me when at home. Was watching cops earlier and had an interesting scenario come up. You are sitting around the house when all the sudden the door is being beat on and threatened to be kicked in. Do you:
    A.) Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that you are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home
    B.) Yell to warn them that you have called the police but not tell them of you being armed.

I ask this question because i want as little people possible knowing that i am armed(live in a crappy area, none of their business since they could be the bad guy) don't want the chance of the person evading police and coming back later nore prepared because they know my level of preparation. So my own answer is B. Yes i will tell you that i have called the police, but the only warning of my gun you will get is the muzzle flash when you make it in my home and i end the threat.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

czfreak - I think you missed option C.) Move the hell out of that lousy area, now!

3. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Option c is in the works but option a and b are really applicable anywhere. The world is a dangerous place no matter where you live.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

^I'm happy to here that.^

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

since moving isn't in your immediate future,

D) Call the police, put them on speaker phone, warn them the police are on their way and you will defend yourself. Door gets kicked in, it's already being audio recorded.

6. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

who has time to make a phone call? my thought process would be:

a) safety off. check
    b) find a defensive position. check
    c) tell them you "already gave at the office" and if they choose not to listen
    d) aim at center mass when they enter

you don't need a 911 recording the forensics will play out in your favor when the cops arrive, post-mortem as it were

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree with this.........if there is time for that phone call. Unless your door is pretty flimsy, it will take more than a second or two to kick that door in. My doors are steel and the frames are very solid wood. It would take a bit to kick them in. And the dogs would very likely alert me before the kicking began. Do you have a dog?

And even when at home, you should have your pistol ON you, not 'just within reach'.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that WE are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home.

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've been told to never tell an invader you are armed. I.e. "Don't move! I have a gun!" If they are, they may decide to shoot first.

10. jstephens27

jstephens27 New Member

Great point! Something ill remember in the future. Keep the "numbers" on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Put a door wedge under door when at home. Have a strobe light on behind you to disorientate them. Have a door alarm installed that makes lots of noise. If they start getting through....pepper spray. The idea is to make them wish they were gone. Last resort.....Swiss cheese.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

quite possible if they are making that much noise it trying to enter, you may not have enough time to yell out or to call 911 to begin with.

13. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Yes i have a dog, a big cuddly pit bull who turns to billy badass when he feels his family is being threatened. Always know when something isn't quite right at night because he jumps right between me and my wife sleeping freaking out. Most of the time its sone walking around outside(i live in apartments)

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Until you can move your family to a safer environment, get one of these door security bars, they are available @ Home Depot & Lowes.

Attached Files:

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

those are quite effective and relatively inexpensive as well. i use one when the wife and i stay out of town in a motel for extra security.

16. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Follow Joe Biden's advice and unload the double-twelve thru the door. :rolleyes:

17. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Heck, Joe's advise is to shoot both barrels off the back porch and that will scare of any would-be intruders away from the front door!

Of course, Joe never explains how to patch things up with your neighbors in the back...........

Attached Files:

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, I would take the time I had while the door was being breached to arm myself with as much firepower I could and find cover and see what transpires from there. :) I would not say a word until the situation presented its self where it was safe to do so.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm going for "Option D".

I'll spend 20 minutes farting around with my pistol safe,

then spend 20 minutes enabling my "smart gun",

then another 5 minutes loading it, all the while shouting

"Wait, wait, breaking the law will get your Obamacare cancelled!"

THEN, I'll Joe Biden the door with my shotgun. Then I'll have a neighbor

watch the shattered front door, with a baseball bat, while I go to Home Depot

to get a replacement door for the one I just shot up...:rolleyes:

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One dog may be okay, but I have found that 2 dogs work better.

The big dog is layed back and has the "You want me to do what?" look on his face all the time. The only time he gets riled is when the teacup terrier barks up a storm at any little noise at the front door.