Firearms Talk banner

Home defense scenario!

8K views 86 replies 37 participants last post by  TennTrucker 
#1 ·
I always have my pistol within reach of me when at home. Was watching cops earlier and had an interesting scenario come up. You are sitting around the house when all the sudden the door is being beat on and threatened to be kicked in. Do you:
A.) Yell to warn them that you are calling the police and that you are armed and prepared to use force should they enter your home
B.) Yell to warn them that you have called the police but not tell them of you being armed.

I ask this question because i want as little people possible knowing that i am armed(live in a crappy area, none of their business since they could be the bad guy) don't want the chance of the person evading police and coming back later nore prepared because they know my level of preparation. So my own answer is B. Yes i will tell you that i have called the police, but the only warning of my gun you will get is the muzzle flash when you make it in my home and i end the threat.

#6 ·
who has time to make a phone call? my thought process would be:

a) safety off. check
b) find a defensive position. check
c) tell them you "already gave at the office" and if they choose not to listen
d) aim at center mass when they enter

you don't need a 911 recording the forensics will play out in your favor when the cops arrive, post-mortem as it were

#7 ·
since moving isn't in your immediate future,

D) Call the police, put them on speaker phone, warn them the police are on their way and you will defend yourself. Door gets kicked in, it's already being audio recorded.
I agree with this.........if there is time for that phone call. Unless your door is pretty flimsy, it will take more than a second or two to kick that door in. My doors are steel and the frames are very solid wood. It would take a bit to kick them in. And the dogs would very likely alert me before the kicking began. Do you have a dog?

And even when at home, you should have your pistol ON you, not 'just within reach'.

#9 ·
I've been told to never tell an invader you are armed. I.e. "Don't move! I have a gun!" If they are, they may decide to shoot first.

#11 ·
Put a door wedge under door when at home. Have a strobe light on behind you to disorientate them. Have a door alarm installed that makes lots of noise. If they start getting through....pepper spray. The idea is to make them wish they were gone. Last resort.....Swiss cheese.

#13 ·
Yes i have a dog, a big cuddly pit bull who turns to billy badass when he feels his family is being threatened. Always know when something isn't quite right at night because he jumps right between me and my wife sleeping freaking out. Most of the time its sone walking around outside(i live in apartments)

#16 ·
Follow Joe Biden's advice and unload the double-twelve thru the door. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Follow Joe Biden's advice and unload the double-twelve thru the door. :rolleyes:
Heck, Joe's advise is to shoot both barrels off the back porch and that will scare of any would-be intruders away from the front door!

Of course, Joe never explains how to patch things up with your neighbors in the back...........

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Personally, I would take the time I had while the door was being breached to arm myself with as much firepower I could and find cover and see what transpires from there. :) I would not say a word until the situation presented its self where it was safe to do so.

#19 ·
I'm going for "Option D".

I'll spend 20 minutes farting around with my pistol safe,

then spend 20 minutes enabling my "smart gun",

then another 5 minutes loading it, all the while shouting

"Wait, wait, breaking the law will get your Obamacare cancelled!"

THEN, I'll Joe Biden the door with my shotgun. Then I'll have a neighbor

watch the shattered front door, with a baseball bat, while I go to Home Depot

to get a replacement door for the one I just shot up...:rolleyes:

#20 ·
One dog may be okay, but I have found that 2 dogs work better.

The big dog is layed back and has the "You want me to do what?" look on his face all the time. The only time he gets riled is when the teacup terrier barks up a storm at any little noise at the front door.

#21 ·
All the Options

The very first thing to be done, before a home invasion, is to check out the laws covering your situation. They may very well dictate which option you choose. In some states, you must challenge the Dirt Bags (DB's) before you are allowed to shoot, retreat if possible (safely) and state you are armed. In other states various "castle doctrine" laws and/or "stand your ground" laws dictate what must be done. That said, don't let anything supersede your chance at survival. You are the one who has to make the decisions in whichever scenario you may find yourself and the reality will always be different than what you may have thought about and for which you have planned.

#22 ·
The very first thing to be done, before a home invasion, is to check out the laws covering your situation. They may very well dictate which option you choose. In some states, you must challenge the Dirt Bags (DB's) before you are allowed to shoot, retreat if possible (safely) and state you are armed. In other states various "castle doctrine" laws and/or "stand your ground" laws dictate what must be done. That said, don't let anything supersede your chance at survival. You are the one who has to make the decisions in whichever scenario you may find yourself and the reality will always be different than what you may have thought about and for which you have planned.
"When the final showdown comes to pass a law book is not good"!;)
Nuf said!:)

#23 · (Edited)
My humble decision on this:
1. I have a gun (or 2) on me all the time, except in the shower.
2. Look out to see who/what is at the door.
If it is LE for some unknown reason, let them in.
3. If not LE, call 911, and stay on the line, holding the phone in my weak hand..
4. %. Draw my gun and wait, in a place/position where the perp(s) won't see me if they get inside.
5. If they do get in, fire a "warning" shot through each perp's chest.
6. Wait for the police.
7. When the police arrive, put on a big show of trying to revive the perp.

#25 ·
I would remind them that they are breaking the law, which will surely cause them to go find a job to support their drug habit.

If they continue kicking, I would calmly walk to the door and pull the string that hangs above it. This will dump the three hungry feral cats onto their heads. No need to waste that hard to find ammo.

#26 ·
I would wonder how they made it thru the tripwires, and since he has has not eaten them alive (yet) if the PuppyBeast is feeling OK. Those religious tracts I found him chewing on may have upset his stomach.

Translation- your door should not be your first point of warning, and your last point of deterrence to entry. You need DEPTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.