Home Defense Scattergun Sight

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TheRicho1, Jun 6, 2012.

1. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

I'm a gear whore. Now that that's out of the way, I'll explain my position...

I own a Mossberg 500 - it's all dolled up for a home defense / CQB scenario. I currently have a reflex sight on it. I like the sight because of its ability to use with both eyes open. I also like the fact that if I ever needed to throw a slug farther down range, the sight can help with accuracy. I know that roughly 95% of home invasion scenarios are at night and you need to be quick / prepared to confidently defend your house; not turning on your electronic sight. With that said, what sight should I really be using? I've read a lot of great things about ghost ring sights, but wasn't sure. I wanted some opinions from you guys.

So - best sight for a home defense shotgun?

2. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I like the bead at the end of the barrel. Simple and effective

3. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

XS Ghost ring sights. A bead is great except you should never be looking at the barrel of the shotgun and they aren't much use in low light.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Bead.
    GRS' look cool, and mite be OK for slugs at distance when u use your shotgun as a rifle. Not useful on a shotgun.

5. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

I like the XS Ghost Ring sight system. I've been looking over a few options and I have to say that the ones with the tritium insert look awesome. I understand that a simple bead would probably work just as well but as stated in my OP - I'm a gear whore.

6. oli700

oli700 New Member

I have a reflex that is always on, just flip the hood off. Ghost Rings are good for hd if you train them, not as fast as a bead or reflex but works just fine.....if you train with them.

7. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

Always on? So what do you do about the battery? Check it every now and then to make sure it's still functioning?

I love shooting shotgun, so trigger time isn't a problem. Also, I've heard once acclimated to the sights they can be very fast.

8. oli700

oli700 New Member

Yep, it is a Primary Arms micro reflex green dot. I have had it for 3 or 4 years and its used one battery. When the hood is on it goes into a low power mode. It operates on a photo sensor so in the dark it is dim and in the light it gets real bright. I love it but alas it is an electronic device and unreliable by nature.....never let me down yet though. It lived a year on a 40 cal and the rest on a heavily shot 12 ga.

Here is a little video shot of it
    [​IMG]

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you are truely a gear whore then you need to just go ahead and buy an Aimpoint T1 micro. They have a 50,000 hour contiuous use battery life. So, you can leave it on for 5 years before changing batteries. The T-1 also has 4 night vision settings so you can use it when you get gear crazy enough to go all out on NV gear. And you can dive the T1 to depths of 80 feet, so that you can scuba fully armed and ready. You can take it in a blizard down to -50 degrees F or leave it in the baking car as long as it doesn't go over 160 degrees F.

Not cheap though. But what good gear whore cares about cost?

Dude. It's what the SEALs use, o.k. 'Nuff said;)

10. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Check out XS sights. They are worth every single stinkin penny. I have them on my G19, my G27, and my Mossberg M500.

11. TheRicho1

TheRicho1 New Member

The Aimpoint is a sweet little scope, but I'm not gonna lie... I'm digging the XS Ghost Rings for the shotgun. I think it's really the appeal of simple yet advanced iron sight. I guess I'll have to figure out a different gun for the Aimpoint. :)

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

They're really great on an AR, or other defensive carbine or rifle you may choose. some guys who do a lot of three gun competition will run them or similar sights on rifles, shotguns and pistols.

13. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I replied to this twice? Huh, I'm loosing it