Home defense recommendations?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by shorterj88, Aug 10, 2013.

1. shorterj88

shorterj88 New Member

I've been looking to get some sort of long gun for a home defense/fun at the range purpose. As I'm a teacher and money is normally tight (and I'm getting married in March money is tighter) I'd be looking to spend around 600-800. I already have several handguns I use for home defense/ccw, just looking for something new. All recommendations/POVs welcome!

2. shorterj88

shorterj88 New Member

I would also clarify something in the carbine length, preferably.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My suggestions are a high capacity shotgun(Mossberg 590 or Remington 870), Ruger mini 14, SKS, AK 47 or low end AR. Except for the AR, all these weapons meet you budget over here in Germany. Germans sell same guns at higher cost then the US. also look at ammo availability for the guns, although I believe ammo shortages will go away. The shorter the better for inside the home. Hmm...maybe a mini 14.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you're ok with a shotgun, look into the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. You can prolly find them for half your budget. And 12ga ammo is the only thing available in my area. Can't beat a shotgun for HD. If you can find a 18"-20" bbl, all the better.

If you want more of a rifle, you should be able to find ARs for $700. I'm not sure about ammo availability, though.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Do you have a scoped 22LR yet? Insane fun. Spend half on the rifle,

and half on the scope.

You could find a pristine M44 carbine, for 300-350$, before the

well dries up. That much would also buy you a pretty nice lever

gun, in SS, in your favorite caliber, for Western flavor. ;)

6. shorterj88

shorterj88 New Member

Those are pretty much also what I've narrowed it down to from my limited research/experience with long guns. I like the mini-14 design, the round of the sks/ak-47, and the overall idea of an 870 for home defense....looks like I just need to buy several guns to scratch my itch.

7. shorterj88

shorterj88 New Member

I'm very tempted by a shotgun (which I may end up just getting in addition to a rifle). I did see impact guns has a few m44s for about $180. .223 ammo is also making a comeback in SC, where I live, so I'm not super worried about ammo availability atm (especially since I actually just bought some 9mm for $14-different story though)

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a shotty for HD. Fun on the range too, IMO. Still working on getting mine. :/

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Two guns? How about the mini 14 in .223 and a Mossberg 500?

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A Maverick 88 with a extended magazine is pretty reasonable. Given your budget you can buy the Maverick 88, a nice light and still have enough left to buy a Ruger LCP.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A good full size pistol makes an excellent HD firearm but I think sooner or later it's wise to get a 18" barrel shotgun and an AR, even if the pistol remains your weapon of choice in the home (as it does for me).

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

I picked up my Mossberg 590A1 for $500. US Army issue-ghost ring sights, speed feed stock, 8+1, bayonet lug. I feel on a non-pistol gripped shotgun the Mossberg has far superior controls to the 870-slide release behind trigger guard and tang safety vs. a crossbolt safety as on the 870. If you want a pistol grip I feel the 870 is a better choice.

I keep Centurian buck and ball in the tube and high velocity slugs in the stock. 13 rounds of 12ga in a compact package. I shoot skeet with her occasionally as well, but always get my clock cleaned bc of the short barrel.