home defense laws

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by keithyingling, Apr 4, 2012.

1. keithyingling

keithyingling New Member

I'm trying to determine what I can do in my home to protect against intruders and mainly theft. I know about the make my day law in colorado but I'm not sure about when I can use my firearm in a situation that is not clearly a lethal threat to me

2. Goodie

Goodie New Member

If I were you, I would look up your state laws and not take information on this forum as fact. Not that these guys on here are not intelligent (because there is a ton of knowledge on this forum) but you need to the laws inside and out with your situation that you are talking about. And myself personally wouldn't rely on a forum with my freedom.

3. keithyingling

keithyingling New Member

I agree, I just wondered if anyone had any sources with state law info...

4. Goodie

Goodie New Member

Just google "colorado laws for self defense." I just did that and read the laws on your question. It is too long to write down but was good info. Also go to www.state.co.us/gov that has the revised statutes.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

It varies by state, even between those states that have 'Castle Doctrines'. In Texas, I don't have to make a judgement about whether that guy is armed or not, wishes me bodily harm or just wants to steal my stuff.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

In Florida we have the 'Castle Doctrine,' which covers both home and vehicle. For home protection of the firearm owners you can't ask for more.
    For home security ADT security setup, 12 g shotgun, and three dogs who are the sharpest of alert alarms. Can't ask for more.
    :)

7. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Here in PA we also have the castle doctrine deadly force may be used when confronted with deadly force. No crack head is going to hurt or injure me or my family period.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

That "when confronted with deadly force" would be the part that would worry me. It infers that you must make a judgement about the intruder's intentions, as well as determine how he is armed. If you shoot him & he has no firearm, could you be in trouble?

9. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

If there is an intruder and he does not flee once confronted, there is a generally accepted inference about intent. It's outside of the dwelling that the intent needs to be better inferred to justify using deadly force, even in Castle Doctrine states like ours. Even with the law on your side, you have to be right.

You were given good advice to research the Colorado law rather than take the word of anyone.

10. Familyofshooters

Familyofshooters New Member

Good advice by all. Definitely check your state laws. Living in California has a tendency to hamstring an individual if and when it comes to making a life changing decision such as this. All 3 of my children are in LE and are always quick to tell mom and dad that if anyone threatens us in our home or business, that it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

11. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i just paid to have a whole new security system installed on our airport which my house is also on the strip the cameras and lights help to ward off potential thiefs but if they do decide to creep around they will be recorded a an audible alarm will sound now if they get past basic security then armed security will be the next opstical the armed will be me or my wife.

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

You own an airport? How cool is that!

13. mcb

mcb New Member

When confronted with deadly force is outside the home. Inside the home deadly intent is implied by the bg breaking in. You can use deadly force without determining if he is armed.

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Okay, that's the way it should be. Break-ins can often occur at night & the home owner should not have to be concerned, in the dark, about how or if the scum bag is armed.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

As been mentioned - You shud REALLY not pay ANY attention to ANY advice given here :confused:
    Check LOCAL LAWS- Consult your lawyer- Theres NO way a exact answer can be given to your question- TOO many varibles, any little thing can change the way the local cops/lawyers ect will view the exact situation that caused YOU to use deadly force in a given situation at a given time :(

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Exactly! Sadly, local officials may take a dim view of state laws & try to interpret them differently, even twist them. A local lawyer will know these things.

17. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

my dad owns it outrite i manage and run the ground operations,we are an ag airport we are an incorporated airport though we have a pretty nice runway and hangers.

18. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

I have yet to hear about a case where someone was proscecuted for shooting an intruder who had broken into his occupied house and was still inside . That said, you must reasonably fear for life and limb, according to most laws ; so you could possibly be proscecuted if it were plain that you fired only to save property or to apprehend a burglar .
    Massad Ayoob's book, In The Gravest Extreme and Alex Jason's video, Deadly Force are the best sources of information on this topic .