Home Defense handgun - fun range shooter?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by iftrue, Nov 14, 2010.

1. iftrue

iftrue New Member

I currently own a S+W 9mm M+P compact, and I'm looking for a new fun gun for the range and home defense. After hitting the range a few times, being stuck with limited magazines in a home defense situation just seems crazy.

Can anyone recommend some guns I should take a look at are especially fun to take to a range?

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

If you likey 9mm, Centerfire had some H&K USP 9mm under $500
    I also got a New Taurus Judge for way under $400...

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

CZ75b...............nuff said. Unless you want to spend a couple hundo more, then get a hi-power. :)

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I know! You wouldn't want to be caught without 17+1 and 10 extra mags arrayed across the nightstand. Usually the bad guys in my neighborhood come in packs.

Jokes aside, since you said defense AND a plinker, 9mm seems like the best bet.

So Hi-Power is the only way to go (well, there are thousands of other ways, but you asked...). It is a double-stack in cold hard steel. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

5. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

You already have a 9mm semi-auto.

You want fun for the range and an awesome home defence handgun? .357 Magnum revolver.

Old school? Yes. But so fun at the range and you can also shoot cheap .38 specials instead of .357 for target shooting. Not to mention a nice stainless .357 stands out at the range amidst the sea of "me too" black polymers. Gotta love the sound of the ka-boom, and light show of flash through the barrel and cylinder, of a .357 Magnum!

For home defence you can't get any simpler than a revolver. No safeties to worry about, no need to worry about FTF's, FTE's, and a smooth trigger pull. Get a 4" barrel so it's not too unwieldy but still gives you enough barrel to compensate for the .357 Magnum recoil.

One drawback to most revolvers, aside from capacity limitation and weight, is that they typically don't have rails to mount lights. One of the exceptions, however, is the scary looking S&W Performance Center Model M&P R8.

However since you're asking for a multitasker in a fun range toy and a competent defence handgun, and you already have a polymer semi, you might want to think about a nice revolver.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I agree that every collection needs to include a 4 inch .357 Magnum revolver. I can't think of a more versatile gun that can serve a variety of purposes...

7. DrJason

DrJason New Member

iftrue, since you already have the M&P 9c and I assume you like it you should look at the M&P 9pro, longer barrel and lighter trigger pull than the full size 9, awesome range gun and home defense gun, I have one of each, they compliment each other nicely

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got rid of my last revolver a couple months ago it was a ruger single six in 22lr and 22winmag. i think my next handgun may be a colt python if i ever come across one at a gun show in good condition for cheap enough.

its not a good home defense gun but i have a blast at the range with my sig mosquito.

9. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Make that 3 for a .357 magnum.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  10. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

11. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

Oh, and remember we're talking .357 Magnum. It may only have a 6 to 8 limit capacity but, really, you only need one! ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. iftrue

iftrue New Member

Well. I didn't really expect the outpouring of support for revolvers here. Hmm...it would be a definite change from the m+p, and I'll have to take a serious look at some revolver models. I'm just not sure I could fire accurately enough in a high adrenaline situation to allow for the low-capacity revolver to be a good option.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Practice and accuracy beats spray & pray every single time...

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I, too, started my firearm life with a 15+1 polymer semi-auto with a couple of loaded mags beside it. I felt well-armed, as if I'd be able to fend off a large gang of zombies.

After a little evolution of my shooting skills, I've moved to a 1911, which is "only" 8+1 or 7+1. It is a .45 round, though. I thought I would feel undergunned. But once it was in my hand, and I felt how awesome they shoot, I haven't once felt undergunned.

Mind you, I still have 4 loaded mags right next to it and 3 more in the safe, but I can't be expected to grow THAT fast.

15. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'm in the process of hunting down a CZ in one form or another. It would make a fine addition to your HD/Range selection.
    But if your feeling the need for some variety, a .357 is a great choice for a dual use handgun. If you not worried about carry/concealment, I would venture to say that a 6" would be worth checking as well. On my list of things I want is a S&W N frame .357 with a 4" to 6" barrel. Just to muddy the water, a 1911 of some sort would be a fun/useful addition as well. You opened a can of worms with this.

16. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

4 for the 357. plus you can always put some 38 specials in there to make it a little easier on the wallet on range days. My vote is for the Ruger gp100.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

A good 9mm semi auto that is full size and won't break the bank, fun to shoot and a good practice pistol/night stand 9mm. I would go with a Ruger P series. I like the metal frame P93 ot P94) better than the polly frame (P95).

As much as I like the S&W M&P the 9mm compact isn't a range pistol IMHO.

18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

For a 9 mm the Ruger SR9 or SR9c are good shooters at the range, and come with a 17 round mag. Should be enough rounds to keep the bad guys at bay.

19. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Depends on the caliber, but these are great options at reasonable prices....

9mm: CZ 75b
    45acp: Springer MilSpec
    357m: Ruger GP100

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a whole lot easier to chase brass with a revolver. I shoot what I carry and since my compact 9 mm auto went bad, I am carrying my SP101. It is a DAO with a trigger job and a Crimson Trace LG111. I would like to pick up a 4" Ruger and a Marlin in 357. Also considering an NEF Handy Rifle in 357 instead of the Marlin.