home defense and hunting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jason56262, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jason56262

jason56262 New Member

Im looking to get my 1st shotgun I go hunting every often and I use an old winchester 30.06 rifle for deer but I want a shotgun because of the round types(slugs and birdshot) that I can use against quail ,duck ,turkey ,deer and bear and I would also use it for homedefense since I dont own a hand gun yet by budget is $400ish , im going crazy because I cant decide wether a shorter barrel or longer or pistol grip or stock , any help would be great thanks

2. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd say get a Remington 870 or an H&R Pardner pump gun. They're very reliable and solid guns.

3. Cheever

Cheever New Member

Remington 870 or mossberg 500. I wouldn't recommend a pistol grip without a shoulder stock as a 12ga has a good bit of buck to it. Then you have to decide what your primary use will be. If it is hunting go for a longer barrel with interchangable chokes. If it is home defense, a short barrel (18" is the minimum legal length). You can always buy the other barrel later. There is also the option of a rifled barrel for slugs as well. With these 2 shotguns you can't go wrong and you have a ton of options at the initial buy and later (everyone and their dog makes aftermarket parts).

4. 304inc

304inc New Member

Walmart online and others sell combo package with two barrels, its a lil more than just the gun alone, but saves you money if you were going to buy another barrel later. The 870 is beast, two barrels it will handle most situations,, hunting, or home defense.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I have and like a older Mossberg 500 that wears a 18.5" open choke barrel for home defense and a 28" modified choke barrel for sporting purposes. I use a stock with a slightly slimmed full buttstock that incorporates a pistol grip for full shoulderability and increased control.
    similar to this stock http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tech...384151714&sr=8-12&keywords=ati+mossberg+stock

and thank you for that about the bear!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Mossberg or Benellli nova with a 28inch bird barrel and a 24 inch rifled barrel. If you have the money I'd lean more towards the Benelli. I'd steer clear of an 870 unless it's older or a wingmaster. The new ones are a bit iffy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  7. jason56262

jason56262 New Member

Thanks alot fellas im looking around to see if I find the mossberg 500 field/ security combo

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

barrel length has nothing to do with shot pattern or max range thats purely a function of choke type and shell/shot/wad design. longer barrels make it easier to line up the sights for longer distance and aid in swinging on moving targets.

pistol grips i find make bird hunting with a shotgun MUCH harder. works ok on deer hog etc

stock length like rifle stocks need to be fitted to your length of pull. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-measure-your-length-pull-5551/

9. kmglocks

kmglocks New Member

Friday I will be using my Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel 12ga with federal sabot slugs for the first time in the woods. Will come back with a report.

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you feel about a used shotgun. i have seen several shotguns for sale on Armslist that have 2 barrels as part of the package for under or around $400. Check to see if any of the gun and pawn shops in your area have any used combos in stock, and if you can work out a deal on the price. If you have a shotgun you don't use, you may be able to trade it in for a little off the price.

11. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

There is nothing wrong with used shotguns. Lots of folks are just constantly trying different guns. I must have run through about 30 different semi autos thru the years and never found one I liked better than the one I had. There was nothing wrong with 99% of them; they just didn't speak to me. If you use GunBroker or another site, just use the dealer ratings and call them and see how it sounds. I have bought several, some from individuals who had no history, because I wanted something I could only get used. Particularly for a new shooter, i always advise used. If you change your mind after you gain some knowledge, you won't lose much if anything if you take care of it.

12. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have hunted just about everything you can hunt with my Remington 870 Express Super Mag. Got it for Christmas in 1998 from my wife. It has been a damn good shotgun that Im sure my son will end up with one day. Lots of good shotguns out there.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is nothing wrong with the Mossberg 500 combo packages. I have had a 500 deer and field combo for a long time. I take the same shots I would with a rifle with the slug barrel. I have hunted some type of game all my life with a pump shotgun. The security combo is an attractive combo for a lot of shooters.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Mossberg sells a model 500 package, where you can get both the 28"

hunting barrel, and the 18" HD barrel all together, with three chokes for

the hunting barrel, all for around 400$. The barrel change takes about

30 seconds, even if you're very clumsy.

I liked it so much, I bought it the first time I saw it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  15. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

and don't they sell a 500 combo that has both a hunting and self defense barrels included? they swap out easy as can be.....:)

16. Javierzzz28

Javierzzz28 New Member

Remington870~i love this shotgun

17. 304inc

304inc New Member

ForumRunner_20131116_115621.jpg

1962 Remington 870 Wingmaster.
    Had it bout 20 years and I got it used, it has never missed a beat, never.

18. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Try to find one with a rifled barrel. Pair it up with a decent scope and sabots and you'll have a 200 yard gun.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Mossberg 500. Tough shotgun. I have a 19 inch barrel on mine. I cut it down myself. I wish I had bought a short barrel instead. I miss my 28 inch barrel. And of course the long barrel is much more expensive than the short one. I had a pistol grip on mine. No stock...just the grip. Looked super cool! Sucked to shoot at the range! I bought a synthetic stock with a pistol grip. Much more useful. Much more fun at the range.