Home defense ammo

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Glock-357, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Glock-357

Glock-357 New Member

What is a good home defense round in .40 S&W we're it wont go thew some one an kill the neighbor

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

My recommendation is go to Youtube & check out the videos from "tnoutdoors9".

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I second this.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The current self defense rounds are designed to limit penetration in a soft target. You need to worry about the rounds that dont hit the soft target. Frangible's are supposed to break up when they hit a solid object like a wall. Some do and some dont. This link will take you to a site that does some honest testing.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/

5. Ruger_Nut

Ruger_Nut New Member

6. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Federal HST... or Corbon's DPX solid copper bullet...

7. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

Don't miss. lol. Serious tho in all my research my ammo is focused on stopping the threat, not missing the target. I carry 180gr Gold dots when in the house and 165gr outside for potential glass penetration.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

MagSafe makes really good home defense ammunition. It was always a little expensive, but recently most others have caught up with its price.

Attached Files:

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would do my research on frangible ammo. The gelatin tests I saw were not adequate for self defense in my opinion. Really I have my doubts about solid copper ammo not going through an attacker. I shot a fat pine stump that stopped a backhoe with a 12 ga solid copper Brenneke slug. The slug split the stump enough for me to get the teeth of the bucket in the stump and finish splitting the stump. If I had not split the stump I would have dug an 8' deep hole before getting it out of the ground.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

You can never go 100% by gel test. There is no bone or soft organs in it.

11. luckey37

luckey37 New Member

+1 for john_dear! As a medic I've seen all kinds of craziness after a round enters the body. You b surprised how often bone will change the trajectory of a bullet and make it a minor wound. Not mention heavy clothing.

12. stand4arms

stand4arms New Member

Winchester pdx1 defenders. Nuff said.

13. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Yeah he does great ballistic tests!