Firearms Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good home defense round in .40 S&W we're it wont go thew some one an kill the neighbor

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
My recommendation is go to Youtube & check out the videos from "tnoutdoors9".

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
The current self defense rounds are designed to limit penetration in a soft target. You need to worry about the rounds that dont hit the soft target. Frangible's are supposed to break up when they hit a solid object like a wall. Some do and some dont. This link will take you to a site that does some honest testing.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't miss. lol. Serious tho in all my research my ammo is focused on stopping the threat, not missing the target. I carry 180gr Gold dots when in the house and 165gr outside for potential glass penetration.

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
MagSafe makes really good home defense ammunition. It was always a little expensive, but recently most others have caught up with its price.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
I would do my research on frangible ammo. The gelatin tests I saw were not adequate for self defense in my opinion. Really I have my doubts about solid copper ammo not going through an attacker. I shot a fat pine stump that stopped a backhoe with a 12 ga solid copper Brenneke slug. The slug split the stump enough for me to get the teeth of the bucket in the stump and finish splitting the stump. If I had not split the stump I would have dug an 8' deep hole before getting it out of the ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 for john_dear! As a medic I've seen all kinds of craziness after a round enters the body. You b surprised how often bone will change the trajectory of a bullet and make it a minor wound. Not mention heavy clothing.

·
Registered
980 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts