home defense ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lilrichthedragon, Apr 13, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I was looking into getting some hollow or self defense "claw looking" ammo for my 45acp pistol. Which brand would do best? I don't wanna go remington cause of all the problems people been having with there products ever since they moved manufacturing to hong kong.

2. 1hole

1hole New Member

" I don't wanna go remington cause of all the problems people been having with there products ever since they moved manufacturing to hong kong."

???????????

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

You mean the Black Talon?

[​IMG]

Try some Federal HST;

[​IMG]

4. lilrichthedragon

yeah that's why

5. lilrichthedragon

hst federal? that's a badass looking round. it would suck to be on the receiving end of that

6. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I still carry the Black Talons in my 1911s. I still have a decent supply also.

Jim..........:)

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Find out what the local leo's are using and go with that. Prosecutors and lawyers will go nuts with anything else if you have to use it and it is usually good ammo.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What the heck are you talking about? Remington makes guns and ammo in Hong Kong? I can find no information as to this allegation. Remington shavers are made in Asia, but they have nothing to do with Remington arms and ammunition.

WTS, I feel Remington is about 30 years behind the curve in ammunition technology. They were the top dog in the 70's and rested on their laurels (IMHO). Everyone else fought for market share and took great leaps forward while Remington sat on their hands.

I agree that using the ammo chosen by the local LE agency is a very good idea. It should offer a degree of protection from allegations you used the most inhumane ammo available.

9. lilrichthedragon

remington along with marlin bushmaster and few other names was bought by a group in ny. they wanted a quick return for there money spent so instead of raising the price they moved production to hk.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

So where are you geting this information. As far as I know all Remington manufacturing plants are still in the US.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i like the Hornady XTP in 45 ACP or their Critical Defence ammo is good. i also use their XTP bullets in reloads for practice so as to be pretty close in performance as the factory loads. i also use their XTP bullets in 44 for my 44 magnum. Hornady has some excellent bullets.

12. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The simple truth is that almost any 45acp JHP (especially American made) will perform exceptionally provided your gun cycles it well. We all have our preferences. I like Winchester Rangers, as I'm able to pick them up in 50rd boxes for $30 or less. That's really tough to beat. I also like to top-load my mags/chamber with CorBon Pow'rball. It's supposed to penetrate light barriers (like auto glass) without expanding and will essentially feed like ball in the vast majority of guns.

In my experience the following will all do their part:

Winchester- Everything. Ranger, PDX, Silvertip...even cheapo WWB JHPs.
    Federal- Everything. Hydras, EMFJs, and even budget Hi-Shocks.
    Hornady- Everything.
    Remington- Golden Saber. I won't touch anything else they make for pistols.
    Speer- Gold Dot. Good "value" buy like Rangers.
    Fiocchi- Always performs well for me.
    CorBon/DoubleTap/Buffalo Bore/Black Hills- Spendy, but quality.

Plenty of others will do quite well too. But that's all I have experience with in handgun ammunition. Personally, I've been very unimpressed with the quality of the cheaper Remington stuff for both rifles and pistols. Their cheaper SG bird/buck runs great for me. But in my opinion the Golden Saber is an excellent defense round.

14. lilrichthedragon

and when was that posted. you can't go by wikipedia its not a factual website

15. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

When they first started talking about stoping the black talon production, i bought it whenever i could find it. I'm proud to say i have a great supply, over 6,000 rounds in 3 diferent calibers. I still see them once in awhile at LGS. Other than that i like the silvertips.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

16. phildenton

phildenton New Member

federal hst looks good, wonder if i can find it in .357, if not loaded then just the bullets. oh, and the freedom group may have bought remington, marlin, etc, but production of those lines are in the usa, there are some lines of products that are imported, but the firearms will say on them where theyre made.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

It never happened.

18. lilrichthedragon

you don't have to believe it but everybody knows that the quality went down

19. sparky17

sparky17 New Member

Remington still has a factory in Illion, NY. I was there last summer to visit the museum they have there. To bad they had stopped doing factory tours!

20. lilrichthedragon

I believe that but that's not there only factory. I hear there is on going process of building one in ms. I personally have noticed a drop in quality. remington used to be the only bullets I bought