Home defense advice

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by OUDAN, Apr 28, 2013.

1. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I am recently in the market for a home defense shotgun, I am wanting a tactical style. Would love a collapsible stock, light and shell holding. I have been looking strongly at the Mossbergs however it's been years since I bought a shotgun. I would love everyone's thoughts and suggestions Mossberg o not. Thanks in advance!

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Great investment in shotguns at a reasonable price for me two years ago ($379 at BudsGunShop) was the Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge. Love it!!! :)

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If you ask 10 people you will get 13 different answers. IMO the Mossberg is an excellent pump gun. There are plenty of aftermarket doohickeys you can purchase for them and they are very reliable.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

There are a number of good shotguns out there. Remington, banelli, Mossberg etc...Any will do the job. Mossberg is just fine and will protect you. I have a Mossberg 590 mariner. Still, I could pick up any of these quality shotguns and feel confident they will work.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

If you want to add aftermarket stuff, the Mossberg and the Remington 870 are the way to go. If they don't make it for them, they don't make it.

6. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Are you looking for a semiauto or a pump.

7. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone! I am thinking pump would be my thoughts, if you guys have any reasons why not there Id listen.

8. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

A pump will be fine.

9. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

Pump will do fine. As with everyone here I would suggest a Remington or Mossberg. Semiauto I would suggest a Bennelli.

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Mossy is the way to go, if your going to get an 870, get an older one. Remington has been having some QC issues. I find i have more control and confidence with the stock vs pistol grip, without giving up much in the maneuverability department. But if your going for "tacticool", you can really deck them out. This is by my bed..first line of defense..if they make it past the dogs....lol

Attached Files:

11. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Since there are "statistics" out there that say any intruder who knows you have a gun may just be convinced to leave without confrontation....and racking a shotgun is a sure way to let everyone know you have a gun....it sounds like a win / win.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have owned 3 Mossbergs...currently a 590a1. I really like my shotgun.

However...

If I ever buy a second one, or if I were to sell this Mossy, I would absolutely buy a Remington 870.

1) The aftermarket for different parts is much stronger for the 870, it just is. At least the aftermarket is better for the Mossberg 500 over the 590a1. I would stay away the 590a1 if you have any interest in aftermarket support for parts and add-ons.

2) The location of the safety on the Mossberg receiver (top of the tang) makes it impossible to operate with a pistol grip like you would find on an adjustable stock. Isn't that one of the needs you said you have?

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Yea..but on the Mossy, the shell lifter stays in the up position for loading.. very important if you just had your nails done.......:D

14. OUDAN

OUDAN New Member

I will check out that Remington since there are apparently more aftermarket add one for it not real sure what the deciding factor will be yet but thanks for all the food for thought everyone.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

+1

If you really think you need your shotgun to be tacticool, the grip works much better on the remingtons. For keeping it 'stock' then the mossbergs safety position is my personal favorite for defense.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IF you want to go with a shotgun, know the recoil can be

punishing, especially with a 12 gauge, with the pistol grip.

Google the You-tube of folks firing those bad boys, it's not

like "Terminator" where Linda just keeps jacking in round after

round of 3 -1/2" buckshot and dead-on accurately blazing

away.

I love my Mossberg 500, but I'm a 275 Lb. -6'2", brawny dude,

and 2-3/4" birdshot is a test. Practice will be needed, or you're

just going to shoot holes in your ceiling, when a house-breaker

shows up.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  17. FarazTE

FarazTE New Member

Or you could get a 20 gauge.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Don't give recoil a second thought, IMO, now I am a big dude, but I just took two shots(1st shot was a clean miss) with my Mossberg 835, firing 2 - 3 1/2" mag. turkey rounds Saturday, to down the running bird I got.

Even in this middle of the road adrenaline situation, tracking a running object, racking in the 2nd round and coming back on target to get a slight lead and squeeze the trigger, I have no recall of the recoil or muzzle blast.

Yes, you will feel the recoil when target shooting or sighting in, but in the "heat of battle" your body will have such focus that recoil and muzzleblast will be of no concern.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

OP, outside lights. Especially those with the motion

sensors. A dog-most BG simply go elsewhere if

you've got a dog, any dog.
    911-the BG will

probably hear you calling the police, and

know they are on their way. A strong flashlight

will blind them, at short range.

That shotgun shouldn't be your first line of defense.

Think about it. You're a responsible gun owner.

You don't really want to kill anybody.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Personal experience shows the shotgun will only work as well as it did

in practice, in real life. Maybe worse, but not better. And if you are

lucky, stronger, or a better shot than the OP, perhaps you shouldn't

egg him on.