Home defense: 9mm or 5.56?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Matty, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Matty

Matty New Member

Okay, I need some help deciding which gun to purchase. I plan on purchasing a 9mm handgun as well a .308 carbine sometime in the future. But right now, I need a carbine that I can use for home defense as well as go out to 100 yds, tops (the .308 can fill the longer range role later). Also, I'm on a budget. Because of that, I've narrowed my choices for a home defense carbine down to an M&P 15, (or some other ar in that price range), a jr 9mm carbine, or a Beretta cx4 9mm. Some things to consider... My wife is very small, so recoil is a problem, and remember that generally, a muzzle brake on an ar will make it even louder inside. Also, overpenetration of walls is not an issue.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My wife likes the 9mm carbine. She has been using the 9mm Hi Point for over 10 years. We have an AR15. She prefers the Hi Point because she has the most trigger time with the gun. It has no surprises like an adjustable stock. The Hi Point fits her well and she is familiar with the safety.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My wife likes her AR.

You can get a 5.56 and get a 9mm upper and mag adapter. The recoil of the 9mm in an AR is different. Neither is is heavy kicking round.

4. Matty

Matty New Member

Still, I'm on a budget. I thought about the hipoint for a while, and I still might get one someday since they are so inexpensive. But the magazine capacity is hard for me to overlook.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

This is a great time to buy or build an AR. The prices are lower now than in the last 20 years probably.

If you don't have one and want one I suggest you get one. The 9mm will probably always be available, but don't forget "the leader of the free world" doesn't want you or I to be free to own one.

Also, if you are not familiar with them, there is very little felt recoil by design.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I looked at a hi point 45 carbine the other day, it looked well built for the money. The buttstock held two extra mags, I'm assuming the 9mm model does too?

As far as home defense, the pistol caliber carbine would be my choice.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, a good 12 ga. pump shotgun is still the best SD/HD firearm ever. best bang of the buck too. a decent pump shotgun can be bought at a very decent price, new or used.

yes, a shotgun does need to be aimed, but doesn't require the same precision in aiming a pistol or rifle requires to be used effectively.

i have an AR, but my primary long guns for HD/SD are still going to be a pump shotgun. i live in very rural area, and my closest neighbor is almost 1/2 a mile away, so over-penetration isn't anissue for me. and i still choose my shotgun first.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you can't get it done w/ 10 rounds, better take some classes. My bed time piece is a 1911 in 10mm, 8 rounds. I've gone back to single stack mags altogether, even my 9x19 holds 8, .45acp 7 or 8 depending on mag, 9x17(.380) 7. even the lowly .357 Wheelgun only holds 6.

10. Axxe55

or move to a nicer neighborhood!:p

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Thieves, general bad people tend to go to "nice neighborhoods" to do bad things. More of a pay off. OP, just buy a hound!!! Mine is a great watchdog.

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

You could check out a Mini 14 for a decent priced .223. Then you could customize or update as more dollars become available.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. Axxe55

dogs, if a person can have one, which i understand some can't like those who live in apartments or rented housing that don't allow pets, are still one of the best deterents and warning systems a person can have. dogs can sense and hear things humans can't, and even small dogs have loud enough barks to wake us up to danger.

i read an article many years ago, and it interviewed some convicts in prison who broke into homes and robbed them. they said by a large majority, their biggest fear was barking dog in a house. first it alerted people to possible truble, plus they had no idea as to the sized or aggression of the dog.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IMHO, a 9mm is up to the HD task.

Given the close quarters, I would

advise a pistol. Nothing fancy, but

preferably something full-size.

On a weekend range test, I recently

shot FMJ and JHP 9mm (standard, no P or +P)

rounds clean through a

50 gallon steel drum. The JHPs were a little dis-

appointing, they didn't expand much. But

I was a little surprised at the excellent penetration

of the base target round of such a small, and much

ridiculed pistol caliber.

15. primer1

^^^^^^^ There is nothing shameful about a 9mm, or is it underpowered. Stick them in a 16-18 inch tube, as the op is suggesting, and you'll get more velocity, which is more energy on the target.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are talking carbine (16 inch bbl) the 5.56 is the way to go. The 9 mm gains very little velocity past the 5 to 6 inch bbl as it is a very effecient short bbl round. So if you are going to us a 'long' gun get the most out of it you can.;)

17. primer1

There is a lot of noise (one shot inside would probably cause permanent hearing loss) and flash (temporary blindness, however short lived) with a 5.56. I'm not arguing the rifle round will have more energy. This surely trumps the 9 vs 40 debate :)

Throw in the fun factor of pistol caliber carbines, along with a small ammo savings, and I'll stick to my opinion on the 9mm. Op: have you considered a .40 or .45 carbine?

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

My wife has a hard time with the adjustable stock on my AR15. I got the adjustable stock so we can both enjoy the rifle. I am not going to buy another AR stock to hear her say "meh, I like my Hi Point."

A woman is not going to learn to operate another platform because it is "better." I wouldn't grab the AR either if I can get my Browning. Why play with a 22 when you have a 30/06?

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

12 gauge !...................

20. Matty

Matty New Member

Yeah... And I might still. But the way I see it, my handgun will likely also be chambered in 9mm. (Not trying to start any caliber arguments). It just what I would prefer. I'm looking for simplicity and fewer calibers I need to buy.