home defense 9mm ammunition help

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by roosterjuicer, Feb 27, 2009.

1. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I just bought a glock 34 and I am now looking for a box of hollow points for home defense and concealed carry purposes.

in the hunting world i am a big fan of federal premium ammunition and it seems like they make some decent 9mm home defense loads. i was looking at the hydra shock 147 grain jhp (im assuming that means jacketed hollow point?). is there anything else that is better in 9mm out there?

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

There's alot of opinions out there, but you won't go wrong running 147 grain hydras in your Glock.

Get a box and shoot a few rounds out to see how they perform in your pistol.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Generally speaking light, fast bullets will penetrate less. 115gr +P or even 90 gr +P (Cor-Bon?) will be less likely to over penetrate walls.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My gal carries a 9mm and we run 135gr hollow points in it. I am very comfortable with that round in her hands.

The 147's work well for a defense round and is a great carry choice. For in home usage, they might be moving a bit fast & hard if you have concerns about over penetration. The same could probably be said about the 135'ers, but at home, we have other plans.

There are only two of us in the house, so I don't have the standard child in the next room concerns.

JD

5. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Use: Corbon Pow`Rball Ammunition PB09100/20, 9 mm + P, Powerball, 100 GR, 1450 fps, 20 Rd/bx

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

147 JHP is really an energy-expending round in 9mm, and what I carry, (with a +P load). I'm not concerned about whether it's going to penetrate sheetrock, because I don't plan on having to kill sheetrock. I am confident, however, that it will expand like a mofo, cause an assload of trauma, and not come out the other side of Mr. Intruder at the same speed it went into him.

7. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

interesting. i also am not interested in penetrating sheet rock. what I am interested in is have a bullet that is very easy to shoot (hence why i went with 9mm as opposed to .40). im looking for maximum damage and stopping power to a human in a home defense situation with the 9mm but i would like to avoid a noticeable increase in felt recoil. would a lighter hollow point bullet be a better bet for me or would the difference be negligible?

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Hornady critical defense would be an EXCELLENT choice for exactly what you want. if you can't find that, Gold Dot+P will ALWAYS be top performing but will recoil slightly more. IMO if you have to worry about 9mm recoil, you need more training in the 1st place.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

The 147 grain hydra shock is a good round and I use them in my S&W M&P 9mm compact but I stagger the rounds with fmj (full metal jacket) rounds as I carry the pistol often and don't know if trouble comes will I need impact or penitration so I split the difference and stagger the rounds.

10. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

I completely agree with that. Nevertheless, even the most highly trained person in the world would probably choose the round that recoiled less over the round that recoiled more if they were both pretty close in performance.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A well placed shot with any of the previously mentioned loads will have a very high likelyhood of being effective. There are two other issues to be concerned about, misses and overpenetrating hits.

A heavier bullet wil have more inertia and more penetration in the intended target. There is a very good likelyhood that a 147gr JHP will exit the intended target. Where it goes from there is a concern.

A heavier bullet will penetrate through more barriers like sheetrock. Where it goes is a concern.

I am not saying light/fast is better. I am not saying heavy/slow is better. I am saying you should understand the flight/teminal expectations of a given load and make a decision base on your unique situation.

One group of people that anticipate using deadly force in a residential situation is SWAT teams. They have looked long and hard at the constraints of intra-residential combat. The 9mm SMG (HK MP-5) has fallen from favor. Many SWAT teams are using .223/5.56mm carbines (M-16 type) with light frangible bullets (< 55gr HP of SP) as they normally stay in the target and have less penetration through sheet rock than 9mm bullets of any weight.

12. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

are frangible bullets like a hollow point or are they more fragmentary? does anybody make those for civilian use?

13. jaygibson

jaygibson New Member

Corbon makes good stuff, and they are shooters. Good dudes.

Jay

14. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Glaser Safety Slug

Frangible Bullets are fragmentary, they are made by a little core and some pellets inside, and yes, Galser make a civil use 9mm frangible bullets.... Glaser Safety Slug Handgun Cartridge, 9mm Luger +P, 80 Grain... but they are a little bit expensive... like $2 each round....

15. LongRifles Inc.

LongRifles Inc. New Member

Glaser Safety Slugs solves everything.

16. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Sheetrock will not stop anything that is effective against human targets. Even a standard-velocity 115gr HP round will go through a good 4 completely sheetrock walls before stopping.

Overpenetration of a target is also not a real concern because a shooter is 4x as likely to miss the target in the first place!

Technically a 147gr JHP is going to be your best bet. HOWEVER, you won't be missing out on a whole lot by going with a lighter 115gr JHP. That is what my GF will most likely be keeping in hers because even then its about as much recoil as she wants to put up with.