Home Defense 12gauge?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Kodeman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

I own quite a few shotguns ( 20, 16 and 12g ) Semi-Autos, pumps, single shot, double barrel and beleave it or not a bolt action. This being said I need input on Home Defense Shotguns. The more firepower the better keeping in mind that I live in Mass. and our shell capacity is usually limited. Price range would be in the catagory of a good hunting 12g, maybe a little higher. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a look at the Mossberg 935 or the Benelli auto unless you prefer pumps. The autos have less felt recoil.

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a 18.5" barrel cylinder bore. Load it up with 00 buck or #4 and you are ready to rock.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I think for HD the pumps are less prone to jamming...and simply racking it should scare off most intruders.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I have a Mossy pump 12 guage with a HD barrel and a add-on shell holder rather than a dedicated HD shotgun. If i want to go bird hunting, i put on the original 28" modified choke barrel & remove the shell rack. I did change out the aging factory furniture for plastic furniture that incorporates a pistol grip with a buttstock for added control.

Maybe you already have your HD shotgun and just need the non-hunting season barrel?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Short stroke a pump and you will find out about jamming. I have not done it but have seen it done. I have always had pumps but would consider an auto if I were shopping.

7. Secondhand_Hero

Secondhand_Hero New Member

You want a large, high-powered shotgun for home defense? Do you really want punched holes?? You may want to rethink this and go for less collaterol damage, higher pain factor. Why not go for a weapon like the Taurus Judge? .410 ammo will stop anyone short of armored or cracked out in their tracks. The Judge is a TON more compact, short as 5 inches ass-to-eye, quick shot, won't punch through your walls, and the spread will cover someone from down the hall. You're looking at roughly a 1ft wide spread from 6-9 ft. Ontop of these perks, if you spray somebody with those bad boys and they DO (Heaven forbid) happen to be armored or strung out, you know damn well a loaded .45 lead will put the hurt on. Standard 5-shot, two .410 shots follwed by three .45's would scare the **** out of me, and the assurance that the initial two shots will do nothing to your house other than peppering a wall sounds fairly nifty as well.

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Instead of buying a new shotgun why not look into getting a shorter barrel for one that you already have. Second don't worry about What gauge to us. Cause in a CQ situation like say 10 ft you will be hitting them with the whole wad if you were to us a regular load say 7 1/2 upland load instead of 00 buck witch would have the same affect weather is a 12g or 20g

9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

If you are set on getting another gun, I'd say 500/590 our an 870. Pretty much 4 parts to those guns. very reliable wepons. If you have the cash the benelli m4 looks wicked awesome.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Get a different barrel for a shotgun you already have or look into the Mossberg 500 or remington 870.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

+1 on Orangello and gmaster. Unless you're LOOKING to buy another gun -- lol.

As for short-stroking a pump action shotgun? Just stay away from Remington 870's, do your part, and you'll be fine.