Holsters

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Guns-N-Ammo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

I am looking at a holster like this!! I like the "locking" holster rather then the "friction" holster!!

26, 27, 33 — DeSantis Holster

Any comments or other links, would be nice!! It will also be used with a G26!!

Thanks,
    GNA

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The Blackhawk Serpa is a great retention holster and even Walmart has begun carrying them. I have Serpa's for most of my guns...

3. cmhill

cmhill New Member

I carry every day at work with a blackhawk serpa it is a good hoslter and quite comfortable, the release is adjustable so thats a plus and you can also adjust the screws so it will have a cant to it

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Didn't i hear some LEO complaining about some ND problems with high stress drawing on the Serpa? It was something about people pushing the release and their finger going inside the trigger guard from the release upon drawing.

Maybe it was a different model.

5. Wambli

Wambli Member

Oh dear Lord the crap you hear on the Internet. Must be the TSA guys :eek:

If that is happening to someone they are either a complete newbie with no training or an over eager mall ninja... :D

Just like with any piece of equipment the first thing you need to do is strap it on and don't take the darn thing off until drawing safely from it is second nature... The Serpa is a GREAT holster if you can actually conceal it (it does stick waaaaaaay out there.

For everyday concealed carry I prefer holster without retention like the Ted Blocker 911 or the Galco Avenger for 1911 style pistols.

6. Wambli

Wambli Member

If you don't mind me asking, why?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Actually, it seems it was a very large ginger LEO & forum member: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/glock-goes-off-holster-40948/index2.html However, i am fairly certain that i have read of that elsewhere as well (all academic, i don't carry out of my car).

Though they do look & seem cool, i think i would read some more reviews first.

Edit* After a brief bit of interweb searching with "serpa holster", it appears this ND issue is the subject of some contention, but it sure does come up an awful lot.
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393441

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. Wambli

Wambli Member

I'm sorry my attempt at humor came out as flippant. With all due respect to anyone who disagrees, my personal experience with the Serpa has been nothing but satisfactory. I have heard some rumors but I have no experience first hand of any issues and I can't for the life of me figure out how my finger would end up causing an ND if I use my holster correctly.

I know several folks who use their Serpas HARD in a professional capacity and I do not recall any issues with them. Actually I bought mine for my 1911s originaly based on professional recommendations from guys that bet their bacon on them for real. That being said it is still in my opinion not a great concealment holster and I only use it for field work when I really need a holster with retention which is very seldom.

9. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

my dad is a LEO and thats what he said about this holster, but I still like it:eek:

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

11. Wambli

Wambli Member

Two last points before I give this subject up. In order to release the handgun you are pushing on the Serpa lock which is located where the frame (NOT THE TRIGGER) of the handgun is. I'm trying to understand how that transalates to a potential ND without severe user error being involved.
    [​IMG]

And last on a properly adjusted Serpa the motion of drawing a gun is no different from any other holster like my Galco Avenger. Your index finger slides over the holster and that releases the gun. There is no conscious "pushing" I don't even feel the button when I draw.

Rumors spread like wildfire on the Internet, all it takes is one negligent incident and someone coming out with a semi-plausible explanation to their screwup by blaming the equipment to doom a good product by heresay...

12. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I have one of the Israeli retention holsters that I bought through Sig for my Sig P226. I have CC for over 20 years and have always used leather, primarily Galco. After a week with the Israeli, I don't think I want anything else.....
    Comfortable, adjustable cant, positive lock & unlock. Damn, an inexpensive holster that I like:eek:. Amazing!