Holsters

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by DonD, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD Member

Any suggestions for an OWB crossdraw (right handed, gun on left hip) for a PX4 Full Size? It's a bit too large for pocket carry.

Not too fond of Kydex but would consider it. Thanks, Don

2. DonD

DonD Member

Well, my wife and I are fortunate I guess in that we no longer have Christmas gifts that are necessities, they're nice to haves.

Since I have Biden/Leftist proofed myself to what I consider a significant level, it's hard to find things in the shooting world that I want, so much is "Out Of Stock". ICK.

So, while it's not an exhaustive search of all reputable holster manufacturers, I think a
    DeSantis Speed Scabbard meets my needs. Midway is out of them but DeSantis talks of a sort of Black Friday offer and says they're in stock.

So maybe "Santa" will get one for me. Don

MisterMcCool likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the first things that I learned at the academy was to never use a cross draw holster. Makes it far too easy to disarm you.

DonD likes this.
  4. DonD

DonD Member

Maybe so, but I have a partial rotator cuff tear, partial biceps tendon tear on my right shoulder (I'm right handed) such that drawing from a OWB rig isn't something I want to do.

Drawing from a pocket carry is another matter, that works but the PX4 is too big for that. Don

5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Shoulder holster'd work for winter perhaps. There are also a number of elastic "Belly Band" types out there - easier to change positions on your bod and don't "print" as bad as some traditional ones. Man purses, to me, are a bit ....odd... but some use them.

locutus likes this.
  6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

It ain’t a man purse, it’s a possibles bag, which used to be a fly fishing bag from Cabellas.

Mine has the necessities in it:

(Front pocket with the Black Cross on it) Diabetes stuff-Glucose meter, glucose tablets, and glucose jell, a couple of snacks, band-aids, an Israeli battle dressing;

(Left end and main pockets), Tools-pliers, needle nose vice grips, and wire cutters, the attachments for my leather man, a good multi driver, PPE-Leather Gloves, Nitryl Gloves, instant glove cream.

(Right end), Two magazines and a couple of led lights

(Back Pocket) PX4 and one magazine.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Don

The Crossdraw holster for conceal personal protection is a Tactical Hazard.
    All the aggressor need do is get surprisingly close push on your elbow when you cross your body with your arms to draw. And you are defenseless. Not to mention if you are right handed should you have to fend off the attack with your left hand to push off the threat you would be Blading your Body to the Right. Your holster and gun are away from you and facing the aggressor. Only my opinion being in Law Enforcement and Firearms & Tactics Instructor for over 20 years. And SWAT for 16.6 years. But if I was to surprisingly attack you which a lot of them are and happen quickly, I would rather you have a crossdraw than one on your strong side.;)
    Just something to think about.

Chainfire, DonD and locutus like this.
  8. DonD

DonD Member

Well, with your explanation and your credentials, I'll rethink my carry options. The Speed Scabbard is for righties, so I guess I'll have to deal with the shoulder issue. The PX4 is short enough that I ought to be able to draw strong side w/o too much issue. Wear my belt a bit lower but not gangbanger style. Thanks and thanks to locutus who made brief remarks to the same effect. Don

Sniper03 likes this.
  9. DonD

DonD Member

I found a holster from a company I've had no experience, Urban Carry. They had a very interesting video about the development and testing of their retention device going to the extent of trying hard to make it fail, stabbing it with a knife tec.

So, what they have for the PX4 Full Size is a conventional looking, leather holster with no thumb break. So, it won't fall out but all you do to draw from it is to pull on the grip and you can set your own level of retention. Pretty great product if it works out for only $59. Don

10. DonD

DonD Member

11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Who would stab your holster? Why?

12. DonD

DonD Member

Bad things happen, that's why people CCW. One could be attacked by a knife wielding adversary and a knife strike might hit the holster.

Likely to happen? No but millions of people carry and the odds of ever having to use your CCW weapon a tiny. You want to be that unfortunate individual? Don

13. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Getting stabbed in the holster is the least of my worries.

14. DonD

DonD Member

Of course but geeze guys, they're just trying to establish the durability of the locking system which is adjustable for tension. I have no financial stake in the company, just looking for a holster that I'll like. Most serious hangun shooters have gone through several holsters to find what they like, right? Don

15. Sniper03

Don
    Was it their *Lockleather Model at $59.00?

16. DonD

DonD Member

I think so, it was holster #208. If I llke it I think I'll get one for my new SR1911 in 10mm! Don

17. DonD

DonD Member

Looked back at the email and it was indeed the "Lockleather" at $59. Don

18. Sniper03

Don,

Looks like a well made Holter!

DonD likes this.
  19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I use a JM Custom Kydex strong side appendix carry holster.

draw is straight up for the most part, and mostly just bending at the elbow to get it to chest height, then pressing out to complete the draw and presentation.

I carry a Px4 compact though. Being in front of my strong hand is good for retention.
    upload_2020-12-6_10-56-22.jpeg