holsters

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bushmaster74, Nov 8, 2013.

1. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

my state is just now giving us the right to conceal and carry ive got several pistols to carry but am in a dilima im trying to find out what type of holster are the best against excessive holster wear ive heard that leather is the best but unsure anyone got some advice?

2. simpkinst

simpkinst New Member

Well, let me start by saying this type of thinking is why this country is in trouble. Governments do not grant rights. The constitution does not grant individual rights. This is a very important point that is lost on most.

On to the topic. If you are talking about concealed carry, leather tends to be thicker than "plastic" holsters. I personally do not care for the full leather holsters for conceal carry.
    I would say be more concerned about how well the holster stays in place. You will be siting, standing, getting in and out of your vehicle, etc.
    You want a holster that stays were it should without fidgeting with it.
    You will also buy and try numerous ones before you find that one that works best for you. No way around this.
    Personally, IWB works best for me. I use a whitehat holster. Similar design to the max tuck.

These look large, but the whitehat stays put and I don't even know it's there.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Don't buy anything that says "Uncle Mikes" on it.

I personally like the "Blackhawk Serpa". I use one for my 1911 guns for competition shooting. I would buy one for every gun I own. But I am left handed. They don't make very many left handed models. I mostly make my own out of leather. I just finished this one a few minutes ago.

Whatever you get make sure it covers the trigger completely. That is the most important part of a holster.

Attached Files:

4. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I'd assume you're going for iwb or strong side carry. Hybrid IWB holsters like the Galco King Tuk or the Crossbreed Supertuck don't wear the gun much, and they aren't as massive as an all leather holster.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Why the hate on Uncle Mike's? Just askin. I like the Blackhawk stuff as well. I have their Drop leg rigs for 3 different guns(92, 1911, and Ruger SR)

6. austin92

austin92 New Member

Never really cared for drop legs. Why do you like them?

7. DrFootball

Got used to them and shoulder rigs when I was still Flying in the service. I regularly carried 2 handguns. My hand just naturally hangs there if I'm standing, and it's one sec away from wherever else it could be...sorry if that sounds weird,..but it is what it is...I also have a cross chest rig I have for my two big revolvers(6-7") and I need to get one for the 8" barrel when I swap it in.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. austin92

austin92 New Member

Hey, opinions are like ass holes, everybody's got one lol. If it works for you by all means :) I might end up getting one for my m&p just to say I've got one. Always preferred firearms on the hip though

9. notoriousM3

notoriousM3 New Member

I agree on the Blackhawk Serpa Just got one for my Glock 22 and I really like it. Fortunately I live in a state that allows open carry so this set up works great. I suppose if you live in a cold climate you could conceal it with a winter coat.

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Inquiring minds want to know what State.

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

Another fan of Serpa. However, proper training with these holsters is critical, so one is not going to do an ND in the pull part of the presentation.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Edc.................

Attached Files:

13. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

For OWB (with a cover garment) I like the Safariland ALS system. I'm working on breaking in a leather IWB holster similar to a Galco Summer Comfort or a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2.

Personally, I don't worry about a little holster rub on the slide although I've seen essentially none from the ALS holster. I suspect there will be some on the IWB holster. It's very tight.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only thing I would consider carrying in an Uncle Mikes would be a single action revolver. (The kind that you have to pull the hammer back to fire.) That is because uncle mikes do not properly cover the trigger. They are and accidental discharge waiting to happen.

Didn't you see "Live Free or Die Hard"? John McClain and his daughter were both able to pull the trigger on the bad guys gun while it was still holstered. Had to be uncle mikes.

15. DrFootball

I have seen it but I don't remember the scene. You were the first person I have known to Say Anything BAD about them,..Is all.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

Is that a patch of Velcro on the release?

17. hmh

hmh New Member

I like the jit slides. Simple, quite, and close holding. I am not le I carry conceal so no real need for retention.

18. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I like the Old Faithful holsters which are leather/kydex. Also I really like the Remora Tuckable with no reinforcement. These two holsters fit all my needs.

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Kinda liking the Comp Tac kydex for owb carry. Like the adjustable tension. Owb leather looks a lot better...