Holsters for ladies wear.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by yazul42, Jul 13, 2014.

1. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My wife just got her CCW permit and she is having a time deciding on what holster, set up, or carry purse she should buy. She is definitely a shopper, so it will take her a while to actually find something that suits her. Of course when it comes to what she should try, my opinion is not of consequence so if the ladies of the forum and husbands who have gone through this, could give some suggestions and input, I could pass this on to her so she can shorten the learning curve with these items which I do understand fit women much differently than men may realize.

2. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

3. LoniJo

LoniJo New Member

I haven't started carrying yet, but I did just order the Betty holster. I've seen several I like, but this one has all the things I'm looking for for EDC. It's small, you order it specific to your gun, and it's made to better suit a woman's body. Ill let you know how I like it when it comes in. I bought a CC purse, but honestly it's SO heavy I don't see myself using it much. It s also kind of bulky so I don't know how quickly I could get to my gun, get it out, and have it ready to use. Ill probably sell the purse :-(

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

That's too bad. My wife has 2 so far, she likes them both because she picked them out. We are also looking at the Crossbreed one I told you about Loni Jo. I think we will "pull the trigger " on it in the next few weeks, once we get the Car stuff worked out.
    I also have to buy an Archery target for my Crossbow,....and another Dozen bolts for it with some better Points!! The field points are fine for Practice in my back yard,....but the pests around here will just be slightly wounded unless I get Razor points,...still, it's scary what this little baby can do.... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405283089.760868.jpg
    This was at 60 Ft.(20 yards ) the length of the side of my house that borders the yard from the side gate to the back of the Sec. Wall..on just off the bullseye prior to adjusting the sights, and one that went through the Target and into the Metal sculpture of the Cactus( Man cactus)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My wife and daughters pick there own. Wife and one daughter have cook's adjustable iwb and wife has a comp-tac neutral. Both daughters also have a desantis pocket tuck that can serve as an iwb also.

Let your wife be other then to list holster companies and let her pick what she wants.

6. yazul42

Thanks for the tips,,, she did like the products from Carrie, the Betty holsters, are they a specific brand or a company's model name, she seems to be interested in the Alien gear and the Kangaroo products.

7. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

[​IMG]
    You can get something like this for your wife. It can be fitted easily in the jeans.

8. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

I let my wife decide on her own weapon and her carry method..... She chose the flash bang holster

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My wife and daughts hate the various womens only carry stuff other than my wife has a purse for a back up that has steel cable in the shoulder strap. No brakeage . Other wise the ladys picked there own carry holsters.

10. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it would be better is she wore ladies wear instead of putting it in a holster.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most women's pants and belts are not sturdy enough to support a holster with a single clip. The Remora holster has no clip. It is made of a sticky rubber for lack of a better term. Women can use the Remora in a full bra, slacks or jeans. The Remora also serves as a decent holster in a purse. The flash bang is useful for several types of carry.

Really most women wear such a wide variety of clothing they will quickly see that the notion of carrying one gun or holster is not very realistic.

I am just a redneck who runs a farm and construction company. My tastes in clothing are not very sophisticated compared to most women. I carry several different pistols and have a box full of holsters that we actually use. Holsters that we don't use are gone after a while.

The best plan is for a couple is to get guns and holsters they share. That way at least one of you has a gun at all times. I know that it is not feasible for a couple to go out and buy several guns at once. But over the course of a few years if both of you find comfort in being armed you will accumulate both holsters and guns.

12. yazul42

She likes the idea of a carry purse for everyday use, but we do a lot of hunting and fishing so a holster is a definite item for her,, I found the Betty holsters online and she is leaning towards them,, she doesn't like the Crossbreed style IWB holsters which I find very comfortable and sturdy. Again, thanks for the info folks.

13. yazul42

I agree with a bunch of holsters John_Deer,, I have several and as you say, I use most of them, she is still under the impression of " one and done ",, we will see if that changes, maybe this weekend I will take her down to Blackwing down around Columbus and she can get a better idea of what she may like, they have a large selection of holsters and though their prices may not be the cheapest, by the time you pay shipping, you just made up the difference.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a thought but more women would probably carry guns if they were a fashion statement. Holsters by Prada.

15. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

Holsters for ladies.... well, I do consider myself a lady and, since you asked the question, here's my 2-cents worth:

What holster to use depends on the size and weight of the firearm she'll carry AND what she's wearing that day. If she's packing a .380 or some other small & lighter weight firearm, the Betty, Remora, Flash-bang and/or similar holsters will work fine for casual wear. If she's dressing up and wants to carry...she'll probably need something else for 'underskirt wear'. BTW, IF she's considering a Betty...chose quickly as it appears they're being discontinued. Also, it's molded Kydex ...which is great if it has a good leather backing between the Kydex and your body...otherwise it's a little 'unforgiving' on the skin w/o at least some kind of clothing behind it.

FWIW..These were the choices I made. I have a Remora for my little .22LR. I put it between my skin and undies to help it stay in place when I'm in loose-fitting attire. It needs snug clothing to stay put between layers of cloth. I have a kydex and leather IWB/OWB from Hidden Hybrid Holsters that I have for my compact 9mm that's my primary carry. Cant adjustable and all-day comfortable...Love it. I also have a Don Hume H715 that I keep for use with my compact 45 acp as an alternate carry. Nice compact size all leather IWB holster with a really good tight clip. It comes tightly molded to the pistol you choose but will take a little break-in period to get the 'draw' fit just right. Nice sale prices on these too if you check around. All of these holsters are available for smaller caliber pistols too.

BTW, if she hasn't purchased a decent belt for use with an IWB holster, she needs to do so. It doesn't need to be 1/4" thick leather for IWB use either, but s/b at least 1.25 to 1.5" wide (measure the belt loops) and 9-10 oz grade full thickness leather. There's some nice belts available on the net in that category. I have several URLs if interested.

As far as purses go.... I don't care for them mainly because it puts too much weight in the purse and that 's not good for a woman's shoulders or back. Also, it's just too easy to snatch if you're caught off-guard. Tell your lady she needs to read a lot of the reviews on different holsters and that just one won't do as she may need something else for different outfits and/or different carry purposes. There's lots of info on the web and several women have done youtube videos about concealed carry ideas and ways to carry for women. She needs to investigate all that info and then decide.

Most important, however.... regardless of what holster(s) and/or purse she chooses, she must practice, practice, and practice her draw stroke from whatever holsters/purses she chooses to use. Just can't iterate the importance of that enough....

Well, you got a nickel's worth instead of 2 cents...

My best wishes to a fellow 'sister' who's not afraid to protect herself.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014