Holsters for a car

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by KJH_1185, Jan 19, 2013.

1. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Does anyone have ant suggestions about a car or carseat holster that is legal in Florida without a ccw permit?

2. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

Doesn't exist for non-permit holders bc non-permit holders can't have firearms in the main cabin... Gotta be in the trunk locked up in a case separate from the ammo (also locked up).

3. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

So basically get your permit...

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Not in Florida it doesn't.

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

That is not a good idea. It would depend too much on officer interpretation of the law. Read FS 790.25, especially 790.25 (5)

6. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

As long as you're not going to carry conditions 1 or 2 and the holster you get has a thumb snap or strap according to 790.25 you are good.I did this for a few years before jumping into my ccwl.Never an issue with an Leo as long as you follow the idea that you need three steps to fire the firearm.

7. ParrotHead

ParrotHead New Member

8. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Ok gotcha. It does seem very vague about the laws on that. I am trying to get a class scheduled to get my ccw but it seems they are all packed for a few months. People must be scared that right will be taken away I'm thinking. I have heard of the three step law which is kinda vague to me.

9. ElCid73

ElCid73 New Member

ParrotHead - how did you attach it? Do you have pictures from the back side!

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

While the three steps rule is a myth in Florida, it's never a bad idea to overcompensate when a LEO is concerned. Those guys do their best for the most part, but they aren't lawyers or judges. They have been known to arrest when no arrest was indicated. It will still cost you lost time and lawyers fees even for an acquittal. Know the locally appropriate law and follow it to the letter.

The question asked by the OP could be interpreted as open carry since the gun would probably be exposed under at least some circumstances.

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The three step law is vague because it doesn't exist in Florida. As far as I know, it never has. I think it is mainly a guideline for LEOs to determine what is legally stored and what isn't, and it errs on the overkill side of things.

12. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Ok so definitely some grey area. So if I put my gun in my center console also in a snap holster I should be fine even if its loaded? Or should I put it in the glove box in a snap holster? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

13. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Be safe not sorry.You're best bet is to read the new book on Florida gun laws and if you are unsure about some of the things ask a lawyer.I have carried for quite a while as I've stated without issue but you may run into an Leo who has had a bad day or is new.You never really know.Like the Boy Scouts ,"Be prepared".

14. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

This is as the statute reads
    790.25 Lawful Ownership ,Possession ,and use of Firearms and Other Weapons.
    (5)Possession in Private Conveyance .-- Not withstanding subsection(2),it is lawful and is not a violation of s.790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance ,without a license ,ifthe firearm or other weapon is securely encased or otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use,ownership,and possession of firearms and other weapons,including lawful self defense as provided in s.776.012
    790.001 Definitions .-- As Used in this chapter,except where the context otherwise requires;
    (17)"Securely encased" means in a glove box compartment,weather or not locked;snapped in a holster;in a gun case,weather or not locked;in a zippered unease;or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
    Hope this helps a little.

15. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Thanks alot. You guys are always a great help. The only thing unclear is
    Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for lawful use. That other than a handgun statement.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The way it has been explained to me on several occasions is either one is completely acceptable. You could probably get by in most cases without the holster if it is in a container with a lid or door. To play it safe I would keep it in a holster, but the snap is not necessary. Many LEOs and concealed carry instructors even use the example of a shoebox on the passenger seat, but I don't think I would trust every LEO to accept that.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

In NC open carry is legal. In our area unless alcohol or drugs are involved very few officers will enforce weapons laws. I could easily carry a weapon all the time without a permit. I don't like the idea of my my heart rate jumping every time an officer follows me, so I got a permit. Don't look for ways to avoid getting a permit. Go on and get a permit. If you don't have a permit and you have to use your gun you are going to jail, even though it was self defense.

18. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I second this opinion and is why I got my license .

19. KJH_1185

KJH_1185 New Member

Very true. Hopefully all this crazy stuff will calm down so I can get into a class for my permit. All local classes are booked for months now. Thanks again guys.

20. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

If you pm me with you're county I may be able to find you a place within driving distance.I'm in Sarasota/Charlotte county.