Holster Wear?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sparky80, Jan 29, 2014.

1. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

What style of holster causes the least amount of wear? All leather or all kydex or a hybrid leather/kydex. Opinions please.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just guessing I would think kydex would but just a guess--
    Not a fan---Leather for me :)

3. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You don't list it as an option, but a lined leather or lined Kydex holster would be best. I'm not sure if they even make lined Kydex, but it's something to look in to.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Uncle Mike's fabric holsters definitely cause the least (if any) wear. Leather is probably next. Properly fit kydex is usually OK. Loose kydex and serpa holsters tend to be Pretty bad.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud point on proper fit---:cool:

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I would worry more about getting a holster that fits your needs well from a quality company and not worry about the wear. They all wear with time. Holster wear on a handgun is not a turn off the gun guy. Just shows character and use.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

An EDC is going to wear. . It won't hurt a thing except resale value.

I second the 'right' holster over wear consideration. If you can find the holster you want and it has lining options that is fine. . . Go for silicone suede.

8. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try all leather this time.

9. bestnamever

bestnamever New Member

I have a hybrid iwb holster. Front is the molded kydex , back of the holster that touches my side is leather. I use this holster daily and my gun sees the most wear on the leather side. But it doesn't bother me 1 bit , I like the holster for how easy and quick it is to draw my weapon. I also have a leather pancake iwb holster for my g19 and absolutely hate it. Hugs the gun to tight , and defiantly is no were near as comfortable to me.

I'll put up with the holster wear any day for added comfort and quick access to my weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

Obviously, use the one you like the best. I have a leather holster that took some breaking in. I wrapped the gun in wax paper and let it sit overnight a time or two. Wore it around the house until I was comfortable with it.

Honest holster marks on a gun, heck, that is character. "Embrace your wear marks." (Stole that from somewhere.)

11. GunLover528

GunLover528 New Member

I use a n82. No wear very durable

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

12. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Don't use a holster, just put it in the safe for a safe queen.

13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

'Wear' is a result of movement/friction between the two surfaces.
    So, three factors come into play:
    1. How well the gun 'fits' the holster.
    2. How well the holster 'fits' the person.
    3. The materiel the holster made of.
    It is my observation that the first two are more important than the last.;)
    I say this because if the 'fit' (X2) is right movement is minimized and thus wear is minimized.

14. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Thanks for a constructive answer Jim. I am trying a new holster maker this time. I hope it fits well. I let everyone know the verdict after it arrives.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

One thing I have discovered is most guns that show a lot of holster wear have been shot very little. People buy a gun and holster. They put the gun and holster under the seat of a truck and forget about the gun and holster until they trade the truck in. After a couple trucks we have a gun that looks like it has been around the world but has been shot less than 50 times.

16. zeke4351

zeke4351 New Member

I use the leather lined kydex holsters made by Garrett Industries. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394639831.142526.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394639864.985737.jpg