Holster for Sig P226RS with an under-the-barrel laser sight?

Discussion in 'SIG Sauer Forum' started by GSB, Mar 30, 2020.

1. GSB

GSB New Member

I am trying to find a holster that can accommodate a P226 with a reflex sight and a TWOD laser sight mounted under the barrel. Any recommendations?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Alright I’ll sound old, what’s a twod?
    Why a red dot AND a laser?
    What brand of reflex sight?
    Slide already milled?

some custom manufacturers make holsters for lights and reflex sights? Vedder, JM Custom Kydex are a couple. JM usually has a few weeks of lead time and they can be pricey. Vedder isn’t usually quite as expensive.

3. GSB

GSB New Member

It's on Amazon as OTW Red Dot Gun Sight Laser Picatinny 20mm Standard Weaver Rail Mount for Pistol Handgun Gun Rifle (can't post a link here yet)

Cheap, but it works. At least, it seems to work - i haven't tried firing the Sig, but I am assuming it won't fall off the rail.

The reflex sight is standard with the P226RS. I can take it off, but the problem isn't the reflex sight - I think there are lots of holsters that don't have a problem with it. The problem is the laser sight under the barrel - I am not sure it will fit into any holster other than one specifically designed to take it into account. Or... am I wrong?

4. SSGN_Doc

Ah, the 226 RX. With the Sig Reflex sight. Gotcha. Still not familiar with the laser, but if you’ve got a reflex sight, the laser seems (this may sound harsh) cheap and redundant. There really isn’t much to be gained by adding a laser to it. You already have an illuminated reflex sight and night sights as backup. Also, Sig rails tend to be rounded, which means they may not accommodate all picatinny accessories.

I’d buy another box of ammo instead of the laser or put the money toward the holster. The holster is going to cost at least 5x as much as the laser.

Yes, the holster needs to be made to accommodate the reflex sight you have. Vedder and JM Custom should be an LE to accommodate it, you just need to let them know what pistol and what sight.

towboater likes this.
  5. GSB

GSB New Member

Thanks. I do practice with the reflex sight. Until the recent lockdowns and closures, I shot about 200-250 rounds every 2 weeks or so with the Sig, since October. I haven't had a chance to try the laser sight, so don't know how much difference, if any, it would make. Given the current circumstances, might be awhile...

6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Not familiar with that particular light but if you google "P226 with light Kydex holster" a bunch of them come up. You will probably have better luck finding one that is made for the more common/popular laser/light manufacturers. Good luck!

7. GSB

GSB New Member

Thanks. This one https://rrtholsters.com/product/duty-light-bearing-holster/ seems like a reasonably good match. The TWOD laser is a little bit smaller than the flashlight (I assume it's a flashlight?) mounted under the Sig P226 pictured on their website. The laser sight looks about 3/4 of an inch, or so, shorter than the flashlight. The lateral (left-right) dimension is, as best as I can determine, the same as the lateral width of the slide. (Or maybe a millimeter wider than the slide on each side, but it's the mounting hardware, not the device itself.) The vertical dimension is smaller than the flashlight (the flashlight in their picture extends down to the bottom edge of the trigger guard, and the laser sight is about halfway of the trigger guard).

If I knew how to attach a picture of my Sig to here, I would, but clicking on the icon, it's asking me for a URL :(

8. SSGN_Doc

To post a picture I use a photo hosting site like Postimage.

There you can upload a picture from your photo library to their site. Then they give links that you can copy and paste into your post here.

I usually use their “hotlink for forums” option.