Holster for Open Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Balota, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Oklahoma passed open carry back in March of last year. Went into effect November 1, 2012. I tried it. I like it. Open is much more comfortable than concealed.

My normal attire involves a tucked in shirt, typical business casual. I've gotten a couple different IWB holsters. In both cases, I've tried tucking in my shirts and found that I have a very hard time clearing the shirt off the holster in one pull. I don't feel safe with the gun tucked in.

I've pretty well decided to open carry. I'm looking for advice on open carry holsters. I carry an XDm 9mm Compact. I am now using the paddle holster that came with the gun. I'm sure there are better holsters out there. I'm interested in improving weapon retention.

I do not currently carry around any spare mags, but I'm considering wearing the 2 mag holder that came with the gun as well. What the heck, in for a penny, in for a pound. Any suggestions on mag holder(s) are also welcome.

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

OMG. Get prepared for the open carry bashers. :D

3. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I hope no one bashes his decision. Hope you find what is comfortable for you.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've spent time in Oklahoma--
    Everyone shud open carry :D

5. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

Good for Oklahoma!! Go on line and study what is available. When I open carry on my land I use a owb highride for my 1911.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Excellent point :)
    -----------------------
    Looks like our mods are on the ball this mournin :cool:

8. damnimgood

damnimgood New Member

For open carry I've always preferred a Fobus paddle holster.

9. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I live in New Hampshire and I too prefer open carry.
    Blackhawk's new line off Serpa holster will be out soon. They are similar to the Kydex Serpa but the retention release will be with the thumb and the Kydex is covered in leather and nylon depending on which model you order.
    Blackhawk has sold over 4 million Serpa holsters and I'm sure these new ones will take off as well.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I cc. But if I did oc, I would want a retention strap, simply to deter someone from trying to grab it.

11. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Hey now! It's not bashing. Open carry is very region and situation specific. It's not always a good idea. Just depends on where you are and what you're doing. I'll refrain from my usual "I don't want the bad guys knowing what I got" rant for the sake of OK's new found liberty. Well done guys:D

12. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

I'm a private investigator specializing in executive protection and personal security. There are times when my job requires me to carry concealed but I do prefer open carry because its much faster and cleaner on the draw and clearing of the weapon.
    Depending on the on detail will dictate my method of carry and weapon (or weapons) I am carrying. Sometimes shoulder holster, sometimes SOB and the norm is to carry on strong side hip and inside, weak side ankle for a BUG.

13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I support the 'right' to OC 100%, and I do so when on horse back, hunting, hiking, and around the farm. BUT I am smart enough and spent enough time 'on the street' to know the most important aspect of survival in a lethal force situation is SURPRISE, if you wish to let the bandit know you are armed, and how you are armed more power to you! But me, I will do the smart thing and not let him know until I AM READY to!!!:D
    In an urban environment it is a BIG tactical mistake to give the bad guys that much info unless you have no choice!:eek: ie: uniformed LEO or security officer.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  14. Balota

Retention is one of the main things I need and don't have. The only retention I have is a pretty tight setting on the holster screw and an attempt to maintain situational awareness. I've looked at the SERPA holsters and may try one. Looks like it gets an A in retention. I'm just worried I'll get an F (for fatality) in deployment when needed. But that's just practice. At least I have IDPA available as a practice opportunity.

15. Balota

When I got my license, open carry had not passed yet. I felt the same way about being the bad guys first target. But talking with some folks at my IDPA club led to another way of looking at it.

The bad guys don't come in looking for someone to shoot. They're usually looking for someone to intimidate and only bring the gun along for that purpose. They come in with the gun concealed and check the place out. If it looks like an easy score, they go into their tough guy act. If it looks like someone might resist effectively, they go find another target (or at least come back later after I leave.)

Yeah, I know, not all bad guys work that way, but most do. And the ones that don't are just as likely to shoot me whether I've got a gun on my hip or not.

16. Balota

I think you're right if you're in an urban environment. Virtually all of my life is spent in suburbia.

17. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I've got a Fobus paddle for my Glock 21 but after seeing videos on YouTube showing how easy it is for an attacker to tear the holster loose from the paddle mount and end up with your gun, I would never trust it for open carry.

18. DLeeHarley

DLeeHarley New Member

A lot of people say carry concealed for the surprise aspect, but I'd rather avoid the situation all together. I've heard people saying you'll be the first shot. I've asked over and over for documented proof of this and have never had one response with proof. I realize if you OC your situational awareness needs to be the best without a doubt, but in all the time that I've been open carrying I believe that the sight of my Weapon has detoured at least a couple of incidents. Now I'm a rather large man (6'4" & about 300#) but I'd prefer to avoid an incident all together than some of the want to be Rambo's, who sometime sound like their really looking forward to a confrontation. To the OP I use a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard holster. It holds your weapon high & tight (with a proper gun belt) and the Thumb Break holds it securely for riding my Motorcycle, Fishing and it would be good for at least a few seconds of warning time against someone trying a gun grab. Now their are a lot of times where I'll CC because I believe it wouldn't be correct to OC, but over all I'd rather Open Carry. Keep your Powder Dry All,

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Balota

Thanks all for the commentary. I'm leaning towards one of the paddle type holsters since that is easiest to take off. I am not allowed to carry in my workplace, so I have to leave it locked up in the car. Unraveling a belt to get the holster off is a pain I don't need.

The retention commentary is very important. As my signature suggests, I'm a big fan of practicing. So, a bunch of dry fire practice with a Blackhawk Serpa will help me avoid the reported rare problems with that design. I see a lot of LEOs with that style holster and they definitely have to worry about retention.

Edit: Apparently those "rare" problems are not as rare as I thought. The IDPA site has a lengthy thread or two on the subject. After filtering out the my-way-or-the-highway commentary, the most sensible observations were that the ergonomics of that design are more likely to contribute to AD/ND than other similarly priced and available designs. Experienced competition shooters have had ND with this holster and slo-mo makes the sequence of events clear. Guess I'm still looking. Maybe a Safariland ALS, or Galco MX4 Auto Locking Holster or some other kind of thumb break design...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It is either rural or urban (city or country), there is no in between! Suburban is urban!;)