Firearms Talk banner

Holster for J-Frame Revolver's Leather or Kydex?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Daoust_Nat 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you prefer to carry you J-Frame revolver's in a leather holster or a Kydex holster, OWB or IWB ? Me I don't own a Kydex holster but thinking about buying two. I have many leather which I really like to carry my J-Frame's in when i'm not PC'ing.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Depends on how you want to carry and where you live. My J is mostly pocket carried in a home made leather holster. I would soak a leather IWB holster in the summer. I have ruined a couple and sweat is rough on metal. A Remora with sweat shield works and it does not require a clip for IWB. I have used it tucked into the waistband of swim shorts. Also works for appendix carry. Kydex also works for me but I look for a sweat shield. Take a look a Vedder if you want kydex.

#10 ·
most of the time, OWB and leather, for most of my guns. For my snubbies, it's about a 50\50 mix of a classic Bianchi OWB belt clip or slide holster, or a Sticky pocket holster, depending on setting and the general mood of the day.

I don't have any IWB holsters, and very little plastic or kydex, as IWb is not comfortable for me, and most places don't make Kydex rigs for what I carry. I tend to carry a full size handgun, with a compact companion piece as a BUG, BUG in pocket, and the full size, if i'm on the bike or in colder months, in a shoulder holster, cross draw on belf under a light weight outer shirt in the warmer months.

Now, I will admit that I did use an IWB back in NY, but that was due to having to CC there, as OC was not a legal option, and I prefer to carry full size handguns. Here, OC is legal, and a flash of holster is not PC, or "Printing." I also use a Serpa for the G19, as that is what it came with, and I do have a few uncle mike's holsters for hunting, when I don't want to use the leather, while hunting or fishing, as well as a retired military holster or two for the M9 and my 1911s.

What I carry, and how I carry it just depends on the day. and yes, i do have a couple items made ib kydex. All of which are knife and shear sheaths.

#11 ·
I am also searching for a 2" J-Frame holster for a Smith model 36. I am going for leather, but my struggle is getting the best holster for the money. I am a tight-wad and don't want to spend big bucks for a name-brand holster if a less expensive item would make me happy.

#13 ·
I carry mine one of two ways...in a shoulder holster designed for the Chief (same frame) or with a paddle holster with Serpa (spell check). The paddle holster sticks it out quite a bit from my body but works ok in cooler weather with a cover garment. It's a little too bulgy for IWB or pocket carry (in my opinion). I may consider ankle holster someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.