Holster for J-Frame Revolver's Leather or Kydex?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by ifithitu, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ifithitu

ifithitu Member

What do you prefer to carry you J-Frame revolver's in a leather holster or a Kydex holster, OWB or IWB ? Me I don't own a Kydex holster but thinking about buying two. I have many leather which I really like to carry my J-Frame's in when i'm not PC'ing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I don't like kydex or any other synthetic or plastic material. I just don't..
    I always prefer leather... it just seems right. However, my J frame with .38 shot shell makes a nice little snake gun and would go for a canvas with a cover flap..

LEATHER... it just seems right.

AZdave and ifithitu like this.

3. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

ifithitu likes this.
  4. ifithitu

ifithitu Member

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on how you want to carry and where you live. My J is mostly pocket carried in a home made leather holster. I would soak a leather IWB holster in the summer. I have ruined a couple and sweat is rough on metal. A Remora with sweat shield works and it does not require a clip for IWB. I have used it tucked into the waistband of swim shorts. Also works for appendix carry. Kydex also works for me but I look for a sweat shield. Take a look a Vedder if you want kydex.

6. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I have both Kydex and leather holsters and always owb, IWB is just not comfortable for me. The new generation has become obsessed with the kydex. Even though there good holsters, I'll take leather every day. Each to their own but that's just me.

KG7IL likes this.
  7. Danoobie

Danoobie Active Member

My vote's for leather. I've got a couple Kydex holsters, don't like either of them.

ifithitu likes this.
  8. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Many of the younger ones that I have talked with have plastic guns and plastic holsters... I suppose... it's a plastic world... But my firearms are alloy or steel, and the holsters are leather. Many of these younger folks have tried neither. What they know... is what they know.

9. Greg_r

Greg_r Active Member

Fitted leather. I carry IWB or OWB as the mood strikes me. I like the Dual Carry holster from MTR Custom Leather. It's easily convertable from a pancake style OWB to IWB and has a sweat shield.

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

most of the time, OWB and leather, for most of my guns. For my snubbies, it's about a 50\50 mix of a classic Bianchi OWB belt clip or slide holster, or a Sticky pocket holster, depending on setting and the general mood of the day.

I don't have any IWB holsters, and very little plastic or kydex, as IWb is not comfortable for me, and most places don't make Kydex rigs for what I carry. I tend to carry a full size handgun, with a compact companion piece as a BUG, BUG in pocket, and the full size, if i'm on the bike or in colder months, in a shoulder holster, cross draw on belf under a light weight outer shirt in the warmer months.

Now, I will admit that I did use an IWB back in NY, but that was due to having to CC there, as OC was not a legal option, and I prefer to carry full size handguns. Here, OC is legal, and a flash of holster is not PC, or "Printing." I also use a Serpa for the G19, as that is what it came with, and I do have a few uncle mike's holsters for hunting, when I don't want to use the leather, while hunting or fishing, as well as a retired military holster or two for the M9 and my 1911s.

What I carry, and how I carry it just depends on the day. and yes, i do have a couple items made ib kydex. All of which are knife and shear sheaths.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am also searching for a 2" J-Frame holster for a Smith model 36. I am going for leather, but my struggle is getting the best holster for the money. I am a tight-wad and don't want to spend big bucks for a name-brand holster if a less expensive item would make me happy.

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Look for used brand name ones on eBay. They are typically about half of new.