Holographic/Red Dot

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Josey Wales '94, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

1)What is the best red dot/ holographic sight under 100$?
    2)What MOA for 0-150 or 200 yards?
    3)Will my AR's front sight post obstruct the view of the red dot/holo?
    4)Which is better red dot or a holographic?

I'm most worried about number three...

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Check out optics planet.com for a red dot. Bushnell has about the only "decent" offerings that come to mind in that price range. You won't come close to a holographic sight in that range.

You'll probably want the smallest dot you can get for 150-200 (2 MOA if you can find one). I had a 6.5 MOA Trijicon reflex that was worthless beyond 50 yards for anything aside from getting a torso hit somewhere on a human silhouette due to "wash out".

You'll be able to see your front sight but it shouldn't be a detriment.

See #1.

Good luck.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

All the tacticool kids cowitnes sights with irons and reddots.

4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

This interests me. I'm in the market for a red-dot/holographic, would like to spend as little as possible for a QUALITY optic. Any thoughts?

Edit After looking sample list is just the best. Great optics, perfect prices. I don't even want to spread the word (except to the worthy). . . Bad, I know. I think Tango might have even turned me on to them!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

IOR has a couple of very high quality and durable red dots. This one retails for $249, but can be had for about $200. VALDADA R.D.S. EDGE RED DOT

It has a 5MOA dot (too big in my opinion) but is a seriously durable piece of kit.

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Sounds great, all but the 5 MOA dot. Could a BUIS be used w/o removal of optic?

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Ouch. . . that price seems quite painful, but then again, I haven't looked around much.

What about some good quick detach mounts?

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

LaRue is worth the cost. Buy once, cry once.

But I have had good luck with Leupold QRW's. IOR makes the same style in a true Picatinny.

Do you want to mount on a flat top AR?

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Those are them. You will want either "High" rings, or a riser (maybe both) to get them to co-witness.

Let me check my "spare rings bins" and see if I have a single 30mm QD for you.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Right on. Now if I could lay down the cash for a red dot Monday or Tuesday and find a killer deal on some 70+ grain 5.56 I'd be a shooting! :)

12. StoneCobra

StoneCobra New Member

For starters, good luck with finding a good red dot for under $100.....Remember you get what you pay for.

2) If your looking for the perfect MOA it would be the 2 MOA which you can find on the CompM3 Aimpoint for around $450 if you shop. The most common is the 4 MOA on sights like the H-1 Aimpoint or the Eotech series.

3) Depending on what if any front sight you are using, you can use a riser or nothing at all. I for one believe in having a back-up system in case your electronic optics fail in the middle battle. If you do have a front sight, you will have to have the riser to raise the elevation of the optic to co-witness the red dot with the front sight. This is easy to install and costs from $75 to anywhere over $100. LaRue makes a good one as well as A.R.M.S.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions please ask!

4) In regards to which is better, that is going to be preference of the user. I prefer the red dot which appears to be more crisp, and have found the Eotech sights with the circle to become blurry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010