Hollywood Mythbusting: CARS DO NOT STOP BULLETS

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Amsdorf, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

As you get into firearms seriously you quickly realize how many myths Hollywood has ingrained into our culture about firearms. Cars immediately blow up when shot by a single pistol round, or everyone shooting a pistol will hit their target when it is 50 yards away, while running, while doing a roll, and .... of course ... the old, "Cars stop bullets" myth.

How many times have you seen cops or bad guys take up position behind a car door and watch the bullets just "spark" off the door.

Total myth.

So, if somebody refuses to believe that this is a myth, just watch this video.

We shot the snot out of a vehicle out at Asymmetric Solutions and set up the camera to capture rounds coming all the way through the car, left to right, in one door, through the vehicle and out the other door and they just kept on traveling.

We were shooting 5.56 NATO rounds and you can see the damage we did previously before this short clip.

Now, to be fair, you CAN take cover from fire behind the car's engine block, but that is a bit tricky too, for you can never be absolutely sure you are fully covered by the block, but it is way better than nothing.

[ame]http://youtu.be/T2OuTY5JuCk[/ame]

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Well, the problem is you didn't have the special molecularly hardened paint job.

3. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

All you have to do is go to a MG shoot and observe their talent for putting a lot of holes in old, 90s junker cars. If the engine block won't have ant of it then it's time for the Lahti :). Good job testing. Did you use any other rounds besides 5.56?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have used old cars for testing pistol rounds and was astonished when another member a couple of years ago told me a 9mm won't penetrate a car windshield. totally false. it will with ease and go through both seats and ending up in the trunk.

i have used a 17 HMR at 50 years and penetrated a car windshield. i have shot 9mm, 40, 45 and a 44 spl. through one door and exiting the other.

most pistol caliber have plenty of power to penetrate car doors.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

They're more structurally designed to absorb impacts over a larger surface area. I don't think that was the intent behind engineering designs, but it's the effect. Honestly! I think engineers of old were just trying to make them look pretty.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

car engineers design cars to absorb impact so that the passengers survice in an accident. they don't design them to be bulletproof.

tanks and armored cars are designed to be bulletproof.

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Have been told in training that the best places to take up "cover" behind a car was to have the engine block and wheels between yourself and the shooter. The wheels and brake parts are a little heavier. Nothing is ideal but, those are probably the best options you've got.
    I remember reading a newspaper article about a guy who had killed some people and he was running from the cops. He had packed his car with phone books and tried to run a roadblock . That pesky bullet through the windshield did him in.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I think this is a carry over from the Depression era Highway "Desperadoes." The heavy old Packard, Hudson Touring cars were rolling tanks. There were few firearms in police arsenals that would shoot thru a trunk lid.
    The .357 Magnum was developed in 1935 to shoot through car bodies. Newer cars are lighter and modern firearms are more effective.:)

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

There is a Mythbusters episode about that. Can't remember how it went but I do remember that it was entertaining.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Back in the day- when a car was 2 tons of heavy metal, and the standard sidearm was a 158 gr RNL .38 Special...... things were different. The .38 Super and the .357 Mag changed things.

Want to take cover behind a car nowadays? Best bet is if the car has "Brinks" painted on the side! If you are planning on the engine block, yes, that WILL deflect most common small arms fire. But remember modern cars have a block turned sideways, and they are smaller than they used to be.

Penetrate windshield glass? No problem. On MOST cars- a shot from outside deflects up just a little. Shot fired from inside the car deflects down just a little- depending on the slope of the glass.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only thing I have ever shot that would not penetrate a car door was a bb gun.

13. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Right...if I remember the Mythbusters episode, anything went through the sheet metal of a modern car.

14. Rick1967

Actually, I would bet that the new bb guns that shoot 1200 fps would go through a car door.

15. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

My pellet gun will....it almost makes it through the layers of a laptop hard drive! Clean through any soup or spray can....

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Amsdorf,

No truer words have ever been spoken. Every time we do the LE Patrol Carbine Instrucor Certification Course for the students at the academy, they get their eyes opened up for sure. We shoot a car up every Friday at the class as well as window shots. Including shooting an "all steel" rim at 25 yards with a 223 American Eagle FMJ at 25 yards! One will be amazed as it puts a clean hole in the steel rim that looks like a carbide drill drilled an hole in it. The rims are ones off the old fords, oldsmobile and cadillac cars not aluminum. And all here are correct! The only possible cover on the vehicle is in on the opposites side of the vehicle form the shooter and behind the engine block. *But if we are ever pinned down let's not forget to go under the car and shoot his legs out from under him and then finalize the confrontation using cover from behind the front rims and the engine block area. Hollywood is a myth for sure!

17. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I think they did a MythBusters episode on the phone book armor myth. Don't remember the conclusion though, i'll have to look it up...

Edit: Here's what I found.
    The first go-round
    http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/phonebook-fiction-set-up.htm
    Phone books may stop light weapons.

The BIG guns
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctauhnIjnso[/ame]
    But they won't stop serious firepower.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. Rick1967

Books will definitely stop a bullet. It takes several to do it. I have shot at stacks of phone books at the range. If you have a bookcase in your home, it may be the only real "cover" in your house. That or a freezer full of meat.

Mr and Mrs Smith was a great movie for seeing stupid things that would stop a bullet. Refrigerator door? Only in the movies.

I remember an old John Wayne movie where there was a gun fight in a saloon. Someone knocks over a table and uses it for cover. John Wayne walks up to it and shoots them through the top of the table. Refreshingly realistic.

19. t_humm

t_humm New Member

I don't know, I could see an old refrigerator/freezer stopping some handgun rounds.

image-3571384073.jpg

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cover in the house? Gun safe.

I could hunker behind my ammo storage. But that is 5 filing cabinets of ammo....:D